Neo Geo X Gold System details and price announced!

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
When I plugged it in, with the power switch off. It powered on, and then I got a USB logo on screen. Same goes for when it's already powered on. So you can't play it while it's charging that way?

Yeah you can, just push any button. The charge logo just goes away and you can play anything fine. Once it is done charging, the little LED turns off on the side, but it doesn't interrupt you or anything.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Just placed an order at GameStop with free one day shipping!!! I'll get it around next Wednesday.

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
By the way, I just wanted to say "hey Bryce!" :D I had to check my vision when I saw you posting.

I have mixed feelings about my purchase. The sticks are cool and responsive, I'm glad they did them accurately. The docking station looks cosmetically cool, and the games play perfectly with no lag. But then there are things that really bother me. Out of the box, I had to mess with the composite wire to get a picture. That's brand fucking new, the cable already has problems. Running composite on a tube television looked really good, just like when I had an AES. But that was on a friend's TV. I tried both outputs on my own LED TV, and they looked god awful no matter which output I ran. HDMI was blurry and had horrible color bleeding. Composite was the same but ridiculously dark for some reason.
As far as the handheld itself, it's not very comfortable to use. It's bulky and is like playing with a plank. I would have liked it to at least not be so wide and maybe in closer proportions to the NGP. The length of it limits how many places I'd really want to travel with the system, and that;s already hampered by the fact you have to bring the whole dock with you to charge it. The fact that you can't remap the buttons is stupid. That takes away from the playability of some games, like in Real Bout Special when you want to do your S special. I had to shift my hand in some weird way to be able to hit both C and B with my thumb and index finger.
The screen looks alright, but not very good either. Still at least better than when outputted through HDMI, but the colors look a little washed out.

So I'm pretty bitter about the systems short comings. So far it's showed most of it's potential when I was able to bring it to a friends place and accurately play the games on his television. But as far as use on newer HD televisions, it's so fucking bad to look at. I'll just be back on my cabinets for exclusively until either the video quality is remedied, or this system gets hacked. The fan boy part of me thinks this whole thing was pretty cool, but the reasonable part of me keeps saying "What the fuck did I just do with $200?"

Hey aria ;), thanks for the shout out. Your new forum name threw me for a loop at first, but I figured out who you used to be pretty quick, LOL. And thanks to Bonuskun, Rot, and others here for the greetings! Been gone for a LONG time, but you know the Neo Geo just never leaves your heart once its there, the games are just so timeless and beautiful no matter how technology advances. Though I must admit I wish I still had a nice 27" CRT TV to play these games through, a much better option given how they were originally designed. My 37" LCD doesn't really do them justice.

The NGX rekindled my interest; I do still have a huge AES and MVS collection and several homecart systems (none modded yet, who still does good mods here, is Jeff still around?), but no CMVS right now (I'm really thinking seriously of getting a decent CMVS, any suggestions are appreciated, though thats another topic). Really cool to hear about NG:Dev.team's new releases for Neo and DC, I ordered Gunlord for DC and may preorder Neo XYX for DC as well (MVS and AES versions are just too much $$ for me right now sadly).

As for FairlanePhantom's post above, one of your concerns was about charging the NGX, you can just charge it with a cellpone AC charger or through USB on a PC. I used the charger for my Droid X cellphone and it charges with a big green battery indicator, and shows when fully charged (solid green battery indicator instead of "filling"). Your other concerns are legit, but don't forget the arcade joystick which is a great repro of the original AES stick, but with USB connection and workable on PC and PS3 as well. And also the stick on the NGX handheld itself is fantastic, makes pulling off moves really easy, though I agree they could have improved the screen quality on the handheld. For travel with the NGX, just get a Sony Vita case, I have mine in a Sony Traveler Pouch which is obviously too wide, but the whole system fits in there well, with a bit too much air space to spare (but you could always add some padding).

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
From a mechanical perspective, is there any chance of some kind of mod to clean up the video quality? Are the issues originating from software or from the actual hardware? I gotta say I'm still pretty surprised its not cleaner over HDMI, my component cmvs never had these kinds of video problems.

FA-MAS

Kula's Candy
My backup order came in from Walmart. Packaged in an actual box with air cushions, absolutely perfect. Not like the Best Buy garbage bag. I'll definitely be returning that one.

Spoonman

Enemy Chaser
Is there a way to convert the Neo X stick's usb connection to work with an original xbox? Would love to use it on all of my MAME NEO GEO games...

Hey Andy, I haven't tested it myself, but I have a USB to Xbox adapter that I used to install the softmods on them. I forget the name, but it let you copy game saves from a USB stick to the console via the controller
port. I'll see if I can get my old Xbox hooked up and give it a try.

I used to use my PS2 Neo Stick 2 + PS2 to Xbox adapter with Final Burn X on the Xbox and it worked very well.
PS2-neogeo_stick2-03.jpg

NG:DEV.TEAM

Marked Wolf
Are the issues originating from software or from the actual hardware? I gotta say I'm still pretty surprised its not cleaner over HDMI, my component cmvs never had these kinds of video problems.

It's mostly if not all software.

I see 3 main problems.

1. A wrong video resolution is used
The NEOGEO uses 320x224, but the NGX scales it to 320x240 and upscales it to 640x480 for HDMI.

Scaling 224px to 240px is a bad idea.
This also results in a 2nd problem that if you apply scanlines with a videoprocessor those are off.

Solution: don't scale to 240, just add 8px borders at top and bottom. Then scale pixel perfect to 640x480

2. The NEOGEO uses an odd video refresh rate 59.18hz, but HDMI requires 59.94hz

This results in tearing, no vertical sync possible.

Solution: speed up the emulation to 59.94Hz/60hz.

3. Sound lag.

Solution: Unknown. Probably just a bug, maybe hardware problems too?

Last edited:

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
I just got done trying my NGX out and the buttons are shit.....and I mean they make the buttons on the Game Boy Advance SP look amazingly responsive. Speaking of which, don't even get me started again on the GBA & it's D-pad. Do you remember my rants about nintendo's controls that went on for ages?.....no?......well then you must be new here, welcome to Neo-Geo.com

I was wondering if there would be any surprises when this thread was about to hit page 100 and here it is.
I have to be honest, I never thought we would see you again Bryce.

Ukyo

20 Year Member

I see 3 main problems.

The NEOGEO uses 320x224, but the NGX scales it to 320x240 and upscales it to 640x480 for HDMI.

This also results in a 2nd problem that if you apply scanlines with a videoprocessor those are off.

Solution: don't scale to 240, just add 8px borders at top and bottom. Then scale pixel perfect to 640x480

3. Sound lag.

that explains why the pixels look so distorted; i knew it was something beyond just the video output quality.

even on the hand held, pixels look really soft, almost like a smooth filter you would see on an XBLA game.

for example, load up KOF 95, on the character select, check out the "team edit? yes or no" dialogue box, really obvious its not running at native 320x224.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener

I see 3 main problems.

3. Sound lag.

Well dang, that explains it perfectly, I guess my request a couple dozen pages back that they use the capital they gain to make a smaller NGX with a native resolution screen was more insightful then I thought it was. Thanks for the rundown, you NGDEV guys are the bomb you know that?

And also a ton of the guys on this board consistently surprise me with their technical knowhow, considering how many ways you lot have hacked and adapted the hardware that SNK gave us 10 and 20 years ago, I can't wait to see what kinda stuff you get into with this one :-P

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
I was wondering if there would be any surprises when this thread was about to hit page 100 and here it is.
I have to be honest, I never thought we would see you again Bryce.

Hmm, doesn't look exactly like my post there ;) but my dislike for Nintendo certainly continues to this day. Don't even get me started on the 3DS and Wii U, the two underwhelming hardware releases that came out in the 6 years since I left! :lol:

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I could deal with the filtering if the colors/brightness didn't suck so bad, at least in composite.

It's a sea of red!

After checking several stores for a micro USB charger (they had em, but I'm not paying $20) I discovered that my wife's Kindle has a charger that works with the NGX. Odd thing though, the system will not turn off with the charger in. If the switch is off, the thing will come on as soon as you plug it in, much like when it is in the dock. When it's turned on, it will give the charging graphic as was described earlier. For you other guys who have used your own chargers, is this the way yours works?

Last edited:

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,

I see 3 main problems.

3. Sound lag.

Ahhh man. I see that you know more about the Neo than the guys that made this unit. I was so excited but I am gonna pass on this.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Let's see if they will make a revision of the hardware addressing these issues. It's probably a long shot.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
after playing with my console for a couple days considering selling it or trading it for an actual AES cause the playing this just makes me miss my AES system any takers?

Malone

n00b
I am on the fence if I should buy a Neo Geo X or not.... Now some have you received it what are owner’s opinions’s take the plunge or give it a miss?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I am on the fence if I should buy a Neo Geo X or not.... Now some have you received it what are owner’s opinions’s take the plunge or give it a miss?

I would pass. It seems to me that this is more of a toy clone system then a actual real portable gaming system like the psp. My neo games look great in 1080p on my flat screen.

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
funstock update:
FunStock - Order Update - NeoGeo X Update

Dear lee,
Good news, your NeoGeo X and addtional Arcade Stick (if you ordered one) is ready to ship and will be collected by Federal Express on Monday.
We will be sending out dispatch emails and tracking information as soon as the carrier collects them.
We appreciate that you may have ordered this as a Christmas present, so we have created a little something that can be printed off and wrapped up. This can be downloaded below:
Ful size NeoGeo X card: www.funstock.co.uk/download/neogeo-card-full-size.pdf

Below is a picture of the Blaze warehouse today (might we add, the coolest looking warehouse in history) with the NeoGeo X stock
neogeo-x-stock.jpg

Dragon76

Cheng's Errand Boy

I'm right with you. I had this ordered in Oct. when it was first available, but had to cancel my order. Kinda glad I did seeing the mixed reviews. I'm not a purist by any means, so wonder how the non-purists enjoy the system?

Seems the consensus is the handheld is good, station is cheap, and has shit video out to t.v. Would love to hear the verdict now people have had time to play around with it. Buyer's remorse? Would you buy it again?

I'm seriously thinking of just putting the money I would have used for this toward the real thing, the killer for me is the cost of games though, which is why I was so excited about the X since it comes with so many games already! I honestly don't think I would ever spend 1k+ on a game. What do you guys think?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member

My two cents: If you like the idea of a portable Neo Geo, get it. If you want an home system replacement, skip it. I consider the dock a neat side feature, but it doesn't work all that well. I still use it though.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Below is a picture of the Blaze warehouse today (might we add, the coolest looking warehouse in history) with the NeoGeo X stock
neogeo-x-stock.jpg
Looks like the Vulcan Bomber 'XH558' looking as casual as f*ck in the background to me, but I could be wrong? Let's hope those Rolls Royce's remain well and truly plugged! Gutted that it won't fly beyond 2013.

Forget to mention Lee, I cancelled my NGX order. Too many negative reviews/comments regarding the TV functionality, as for me, the Handheld aspect was the 'neat feature' playing second role to having a mock AES for the living room. I seldom use portables, so this has just become not worth the money for me. May as well put that £180 into an AES game instead... :(