Gunbird is such a charming game

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Originally I wanted to make this a 'Gunbird 1 or 2' poll thread but watching a playthrough of this reminds me of how great this is. Charming. Charming is the best word to describe this. Psikyo nailed it. It's my favorite Psikyo game, sure.

I really like how in the Saturn port there's a fan art menu. Hundreds of drawings from fans, most of them godawful and many of them seemingly drawn by children in elementary school. But they still included them in anyway.

A very wholesome game. Very 1994.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Awesome game. I've never played Gunbird 2 though.

I know I should be able to clear Gunbird, but I also make some stupid mistake.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Awesome game. I've never played Gunbird 2 though.

I know I should be able to clear Gunbird, but I also make some stupid mistake.

it's ok man. the levels are like 90 seconds long. it's a happy game. doesn't matter if you can't beat it without dying. game makes you happy because it's so happy. it's very blue skies.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
A very wholesome game. Very 1994.

This thread is a very wholesome one. Very 2005 ;).

I'd say, if this poll would've made it: 31% Gunbird 1 vs. 67% Gunbird 2. On the other hand, since we all get old, the harsh difficulty of the second Gunbird could be a gamechanger now. In that case, just switch my prediction.

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
Love Gunbird 2. I still would like to get a dc copy. “powurrr uuuup!”

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I feel like Psikyo always nails it, we'll give Sol Divide a pass as it was at least an ambitious experiment in the genre. Dragon Blaze always blows my mind when I go back to it...Gunbarich, they nail everything.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
The cuteness is deceptive. Every time It's like "Oh look at these innocent characters this won't be so bad" just before curb stomping you. It just needs the gameover screen from Purikura Daisakusen where the characters cry and ask you to continue, how can you say no to that, before kicking you in the balls again.

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
I'll throw Gunbird onto the SOTM voting for March. Let's see if people dig it enough. ;)

Geekman1222

Kula's Candy
Actually recently 1cc'd GB1 on my cab a while back. Took hours of practice but i got there. I love that game, the music, the quirky characters, marions speed kill mechanics are super fun, multiple endings, etc

I want a GB2 board next and i got some practice in on that one with MAME but its much more difficult. The end of stage 1-5 is as far as i got on 1 cred

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
What would that be, I wonder... the 'polished' ones like Strikers II or Dragon Blaze? Old school like Samurai Aces, new school like Zero Gunner?

You name it. Dragon Blaze was a little bit 'too much' in the Psikyo evolution IMO. But I always come back for the Strikers, Sengokus and a round of Zero Gunner 2 (and yes, sometimes Gunbird too ;)).

If I had to pick just one: Strikers 1945 II.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
i love gunbird 1 and 2 but it's not even one of my favourite Psikyo shooters.

you love something

but it's not one of your favorites

from a catalogue of games that isn't large to begin with

very queer

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Strikers 1945 I is better than II imo. Dragon Blaze or Strikers 1999 are prolly the top of the heap though.

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
I know some people look down on Strikers 1945 Plus, but I think it's my favorite Strikers shooter. It may not be truly vertical orientated, and the sprites were crushed down and janky, but the gameplay is accessible and I really dig the randomization of stage order as well as the difficulty ramp-up. Crucify me if you must.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
you love something

but it's not one of your favorites

from a catalogue of games that isn't large to begin with

very queer

it's cool being queer now, that's how i get all the girls.

I know some people look down on Strikers 1945 Plus, but I think it's my favorite Strikers shooter. It may not be truly vertical orientated, and the sprites were crushed down and janky, but the gameplay is accessible and I really dig the randomization of stage order as well as the difficulty ramp-up. Crucify me if you must.

i may have to agree. the first strikers is sweet but i think i like plus a lot more. i certainly play it a lot more.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Psikyo games are OK. If all my Cave, Toaplan, Capcom and NMK games died, I would play them.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
Psikyo games are OK. If all my Cave, Toaplan, Capcom and NMK games died, I would play them.

i'd say psikyo is my favourite. sengoku blade and the strikers games are amongst my top five of all time.

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
I’ve always been a Gunbird 2 fan, the characters each have their own distinct feel and charm. Dragon Blaze doesn’t have as much charm but I like it more as a whole.

I always felt that Psikyo was one of the most distinctive with their gameplay, you know it’s a Psikyo shooter when you first play it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
If I had to pick just one: Strikers 1945 II.

Well, I'm not a Psikyo fan, so I'd personally go with their most queer one: Sengoku Blade. It reminds me of Hagane's oxidized steam-punk look and the fact, that it's a horizontally oriented vertical STG adds the needed controversy to keep me coming back. Actually, it would be pretty cool to play it in tate with accordingly reversed directions, which may have been already done.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
Well, I'm not a Psikyo fan, so I'd personally go with their most queer one: Sengoku Blade. It reminds me of Hagane's oxidized steam-punk look and the fact, that it's a horizontally oriented vertical STG adds the needed controversy to keep me coming back. Actually, it would be pretty cool to play it in tate with accordingly reversed directions, which may have been already done.

sengoku blade is my favourite shooter of all time and probably one of my favourite games of all time. and the art style and presentation has a lot to do with it.

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
No love for cannon spike?

Edit: I’m a huge parodius fan as well. Sexy parodius is the bees knees. Essential playing for gunbird fans.

Last edited:

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
their most queer one

I guess their most queer one is Sol Divide. Never got into this game too much although it has a nice approach with the close up attack which was later used in GB2 and DB and the single screen arenas.

horizontally oriented vertical STG

I think it was a nice touch to have a yoko shmup follow up to the very good Sengoku Aces and it is one of the few instances where I don't mind the horizontal orientation. Anyone ever tried the Sengoku Cannon PSP game? I'd think it is shit since it was produced after the bankruptcy of the original Psikyo. But I might be wrong?