Resident Evil 2

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
This game is both sublime and frustrating.

Sublime because it is everything -EVERYTHING- I have ever wanted out of a Resident Evil game.

Frustrating because Capcom has always had this sort of thing in them and they've squandered so many good years demolishing themselves, all the while telling us these kinds of games 'needed to evolve'.

They didn't. This game is the proof.

Last edited:

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
It's tough for me to admit this considering how much of an ardent Resident Evil fan I am, but this RE2 remake might be too much for me.

Between the visuals, audio, and increased aggression/durability of the enemies, I've never felt so apprehensive, stressed, and panicked playing a game before. The zombies themselves make it feel like death can come for you at any moment, and I'm finding it difficult to balance between fight and flight, if for no other reason than the gamble that is going for that head popping kill shot is so alluring with the idea being that I will feel more at ease coming back to an area if I know that what I've killed stayed dead.

I got swarmed in an area after dumping 18 bullets into the heads of three zombies (not long after meeting Branagh), and had to stop because it was just stressing me out too much.

That being said, I think this game is fantastic. For a game to make me feel so immersed and invested in unfolding the story even though I know it already is a feat as far as I'm concerned.

...I just don't know how I'm going to make it through...I think I will have no choice but to learn to adjust the way i play and deprogram myself from the habits I've picked up from the past few RE games.

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
I might pick it up later this year when it’s clearanced. The original came out 20 years ago. I feel old now

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
It's tough for me to admit this considering how much of an ardent Resident Evil fan I am, but this RE2 remake might be too much for me.

Between the visuals, audio, and increased aggression/durability of the enemies, I've never felt so apprehensive, stressed, and panicked playing a game before. The zombies themselves make it feel like death can come for you at any moment, and I'm finding it difficult to balance between fight and flight, if for no other reason than the gamble that is going for that head popping kill shot is so alluring with the idea being that I will feel more at ease coming back to an area if I know that what I've killed stayed dead.

I got swarmed in an area after dumping 18 bullets into the heads of three zombies (not long after meeting Branagh), and had to stop because it was just stressing me out too much.

That being said, I think this game is fantastic. For a game to make me feel so immersed and invested in unfolding the story even though I know it already is a feat as far as I'm concerned.

...I just don't know how I'm going to make it through...I think I will have no choice but to learn to adjust the way i play and deprogram myself from the habits I've picked up from the past few RE games.

This is exactly how I felt as a kid playing RE.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member

Ren, play on assisted mode.

Don't be so proud that you can't play this game on 'easy' the first time through.

I've felt it a necessary part of my own 'deprogramming'.

I've spent years playing RE games where I never had need to fear mismanaging resources because they were in abundance and this is taking it back to the very first game in terms of paying for being too trigger happy.

Like you, I have to learn it all over again so I am putting on the training wheels without shame.

saner

Krauser's Henchman
Resident Evil 2 Remake is overpriced and overrated. people are easily suckered by graphics and AAA production values and nostalgia.

watch how the coming days and weeks more people will get tired of it and go back to playing games with actual quality replay value and games that can be played with others. games like RE2 are just a flash in the pan.

RE2R is too small and too quick a game to pour $60 for. and I'm a RE fan since it started out.

there are fans, and then there are fanatics. I'm not a fanatic.

the remake will get a significant price drop later, there are better games to save up for. that upcoming World War Z game does have potential to have tons more replay value and entertainment values.

now a Resident Evil Outbreak 1 or REO File#2 remaster or even solid port, would be worth getting for $60.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Nobody cares what you think, Saner.

Nobody.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
It seems really good so far. Nothing wrong with it being short since there are multiple scenarios, so the time adds up to a respectable level.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
This is exactly how I felt as a kid playing RE.

Funnily enough I've gone the other way, it didn't bother me as a kid but I end up too on edge to enjoy RE games now.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Had a hard time putting the controller down tonight. Finished up the police station and started the lab. Honestly, Leon A has felt very, very similar to original. Obviously not 1:1 but everything I remember has showed up so far. Lickers have been way easier to avoid in this version, but I think that’s made up for by Tyrant/Mr. X following you much more closely—seems like they probably are using similar design from the Dad in RE7. Not done yet, but the game’s really fucking good. I think this will be as revered as REmake as time goes one. I’m already excited for the inevitable RE3make.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Re2 is the best in the series along with 4 imo and this remake is fun BUT FUCK THE EQUIPMENT MANAGEMENT SYSTEM! That should have been redone cause it sucks.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Feels kinda souless to me atm. Shotgun feels like shit honestly. Licker just laughed at me when I shot him 3+ times and then did berserker barrage on me.

A few things are jarring though. Like why do fat snorlax zombies haul ass, the david blaine esque teleport grabs, game stopping when doing puzzles /using keys for doors. Zombies seems to get stunned randomly too, even if I headshot with the reticule stationary. But most important Leon is a master of barricading. He just puts that shit up instantly. Completely ruins my immersion :D

Good atmosphere though, im still having fun.

Last edited:

Yoshi

20 Year Member
I hope everyone is playing on Hardcore like God intended.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Bought the PC version on Friday and played through both Leon and Claire's story modes over the weekend (around 17 hours or so) on assist mode. I really, really enjoyed playing through this installment. It was the right kind of stressful (i.e. Tyrant chasing you at points) without being too frustrating. It definitely kept me playing and not wanting to put it down. In a way, it felt a lot like a Metroidvania at times, as there were specific items you'd have to find and backtrack to use in multiple spots.

I learned about halfway through my first playthrough with Leon to not go for the heads at all. The game plays more like Dead Space, where you really should be aiming for the limbs to slow them down. Once they're crawling, you can just leave them unless you have to kill them (which you can do with a few knife slashes or some bullets to the head then).

game stopping when doing puzzles /using keys for doors.

I think the game would've been too frustrating if you had to fiddle around with the map or weapon menus while being chased by Tyrant, so I was grateful that the game would pause when in menus this time as some of the dimly lit halls and rooms are like labyrinths to navigate.

Last edited:

klee123

Zero's Secretary
Finished Leon A and Claire B over the weekend. Great game. I love how despite that the game has a modern control scheme, it doesn't make the game piss easy.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Nobody cares what you think, Saner.

Nobody.
This is sig worthy.

I did Leon A over the weekend and it was a blast. Felt like I was playing re2 for the first time all over again. Game is nuts hard even on the standard difficulty. I missed a B rank by 10 mins, but it is definitely going to take some serious replays to get it precise enough for the extra weapons. It really seems focusing more on evasion and item management, but its a pain to dodge a lot of these attacks. Still highly recommend.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Mr.X is a nice man and a snappy dresser who always shows up at the worst possible times.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Haha, thanks for telling me that. Gonna try that the next time I see him. (in the lab at the moment, does he show up again or do I have to do with Claire?)

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I am a weak old man - I don’t know if my nerves could tolerate this game. Seriously. I played through RE4 again maybe a year ago or so and that was even a bit much for me...

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I am a weak old man - I don’t know if my nerves could tolerate this game. Seriously. I played through RE4 again maybe a year ago or so and that was even a bit much for me...
Don't ruin my image of you, Moe.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
^Lulz :)

Behold the ravages of time!