SF3: Third Strike Online Edition

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
Sadly I don't own a crt anymore and have no room for one. I play on pc mame using a vga cable to a samsung lcd. There is input delay for sure but I'm not sure how much. It seems with vga, all the usual post processing option selects are disabled including game mode. They can only be selected with a hdmi connection apparently as I use that for consoles but my pc has no hdmi out.

Hopefully 3S will have less lag as I can then pick game mode etc..

A little lag is ok for me as I'm only a mediocre 3S player despite having played for many years. I suspect alot of people here are in the same boat, we can't all be gods of 3S.

Artemio

NEST Puppet
It seems with vga, all the usual post processing option selects are disabled including game mode. They can only be selected with a hdmi connection apparently as I use that for consoles but my pc has no hdmi out.

Yes, this is because though VGA it assumes they are graphics (correct assumption), and not video... hence no post-processing is needed (or minimum at least).

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
PS3 here, but I don't know how much online mode I will be playing. I'm not very good.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Ryu is worthless in 3rd strike. ken had diarrhea and took a crap on him.

Worthless? No way.

Ryu and his denjin set ups are amazing.

Hes by no means top, but he can beat many characters.

Ashame hes not a top tier.

Sadly I don't own a crt anymore and have no room for one. I play on pc mame using a vga cable to a samsung lcd. There is input delay for sure but I'm not sure how much. It seems with vga, all the usual post processing option selects are disabled including game mode. They can only be selected with a hdmi connection apparently as I use that for consoles but my pc has no hdmi out.

Hopefully 3S will have less lag as I can then pick game mode etc..

A little lag is ok for me as I'm only a mediocre 3S player despite having played for many years. I suspect alot of people here are in the same boat, we can't all be gods of 3S.

Believe it or not, even VGA has some very minor delay. I think theres post processing on some tv's vga out also.

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
You mean XBOX standard. That version was to fast. I don't know about DC timing issues, but I remember it being version B. They botched garou on the dc, so it could be a possibility. I think garou had input delay. my friends giby and jaime won't touch any version of garou but the neo.

that's what I meant to say, I was typing too fast again. But yeah I heard the parrying times on the DC weren't the same as the arcade. But oh well it doesn't matter. I haven't touched my copy of 3S on the DC since probably 2005-2006.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
that's what I meant to say, I was typing too fast again. But yeah I heard the parrying times on the DC weren't the same as the arcade. But oh well it doesn't matter. I haven't touched my copy of 3S on the DC since probably 2005-2006.

Haha, same here bro. 2006 was the last year i did dc 3s.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I think 3S Ryu is the funnest version of Ryu in any game. Between his donkey kick, Shin Shoryuken and Denjin he is a blast to use.

If 3SO has good netcode and is playable, I might pick up Chun just to piss people off.

SPINMASTER X

20 Year Member
I think 3S Ryu is the funnest version of Ryu in any game. Between his donkey kick, Shin Shoryuken and Denjin he is a blast to use.

If 3SO has good netcode and is playable, I might pick up Chun just to piss people off.

I agree. I can't stand shotos but 3s was the only game where I enjoyed using them.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I agree. I can't stand shotos but 3s was the only game where I enjoyed using them.

I loved Akuma from the alpha series and when I first played 3 (was already third strike) my eyes were blown away by the detail in the animation. I couldn't believe a fighter could look that smooth. Seeing Akuma's pants pillow in his normal standing animation was just astonishing to me. I can attest that Iv never excited me in visuals, but 3 was just unbelievably pretty. Has aged a bit, but the animation is still tops.

Lets discuss our first impression of SF3

SPINMASTER X

20 Year Member
@Eddie: I agree with you 100% there. When I saw how his gi moved I was amazed.

As far as my first impression goes well the first time I layed eyes on it it looked "heavy" to me. By "heavy" I meant that the level of detail and such made it seem like the characters and the game as a whole had so much "weight" as opposed to Alpha. I wanted to get my hands on it so bad too.

It also seemed very exotic to me because no arcade had it and none of the top SoCal guys really playedl(who I used to think were gods) . So I was always wondering what was up with it and why it wasn't getting any attention.

I know why they didn't play it. Mofos ain't got no taste. They all jumped on it eventually though!

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
I use Chun, Remy, Akuma, Urien and Ken. I'm good with all of those.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Frankie was amazing. When he wasn't super super high.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Heres the scoop, years back the 3s scene was dominated by two elements, good players and weed. Lots of fucking weed. So many people would get high. Cole is known for the fog and i remember playing at a tourney at cal poly where goo was there one moment and he came back from the bathroom and stunk of it.

This is before he made IV into a business model. Hes good at 3s

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Sorry to bump this without any actual new information, but I've been foaming at the mouth to play some 3S against good competition lately and I feel like talking about the game. I've been listening to the Denjin Video podcasts and the Dr. Sub-Zero Show non stop at work for a couple days now. I am ready for this game right now. I just hope the netcode is good. I'm not expecting perfection but at least playable. It will never be the same as live competition but it can still be fun.

I was thinking today, my problem with SF4 is that I don't find any of the characters interesting enough to main. My problem with 3S is that I want to main them all, every character is fun to use.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Agreed, any of the SF3 games are great, I've been playing lots of 2i and it's been great, whenever I play 3s I keep doing 2i grabs and overheads. I can play 3s though, I can play with everyone ok but my strongest has to be Hugo.

As far as 4 goes I wasn't to into it until I played it by myself, beat it and saw the animations under the paper water color effect, then it all clicked, I dunno why but it did. Now I'm finally appreciating the game whole heartedly and trying to get good at it. In my own thoughts I think I finnaly understand the reason why I felt the game was slow; the 60FPS or smooth animation keeps me boggled and thus it seems slow, but I can see now that I was wrong, I can see now that there is space in between to utilize focus, to read the bodies and to see what's next.

I can understand why the game can be a turn off but you're missing out man. I'm not saying 4 or 4s is the greatest, but it's certainly good and the system is pretty intense, I feel that like ST, 4 keeps you sharp at other games too, 3S nor the alphas can do that for me. I love them all though, I'm starting to spam so V-ism juggles with Nash and it's been great, it almost makes me forget about A2 Nash which is pretty god damn awesome.

Last edited:

KaPH33n

Sieger's Squire
I only know how to play ken. I'd like to learn some more chars. I'll definitely get some games in once it drops.

live and psn: KaPH33n

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
Agreed, any of the SF3 games are great, I've been playing lots of 2i and it's been great, whenever I play 3s I keep doing 2i grabs and overheads. I can play 3s though, I can play with everyone ok but my strongest has to be Hugo.

As far as 4 goes I wasn't to into it until I played it by myself, beat it and saw the animations under the paper water color effect, then it all clicked, I dunno why but it did. Now I'm finally appreciating the game whole heartedly and trying to get good at it. In my own thoughts I think I finnaly understand the reason why I felt the game was slow; the 60FPS or smooth animation keeps me boggled and thus it seems slow, but I can see now that I was wrong, I can see now that there is space in between to utilize focus, to read the bodies and to see what's next.

I can understand why the game can be a turn off but you're missing out man. I'm not saying 4 or 4s is the greatest, but it's certainly good and the system is pretty intense, I feel that like ST, 4 keeps you sharp at other games too, 3S nor the alphas can do that for me. I love them all though, I'm starting to spam so V-ism juggles with Nash and it's been great, it almost makes me forget about A2 Nash which is pretty god damn awesome.

I'm in the same boat with 3rd Strike. I don't have any mains. I'm reasonably competant with every character though not great at any. This is a result of only playing on random select for 10 years or more. Me and my mate using playing cards to pick characters and play 1st to 10 wins. It will never get old for us.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
They announced no balancing will be done to 3s. Just visual upgrades.

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
PS3 for me, Wanna master Chun Li.

Last edited: