Price check on 20" Sony PVM 20L5

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Local guy near me selling 3 of these. He's asking $500 or best offer. My questions are simple; what are these worth, and what should I be looking for?

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
That's a lot of money for a twenty incher....

loegan43

I've served my time in the Dark Army., Have you?,
15 Year Member
That's a lot of money for a twenty incher....

I was thinking the same thing. I bought a pair of 14" PVMs awhile back, $40 each IIRC.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
$100 each if in nice shape.

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I think the guy is asking way too much as well. The highest I think I'm willing to go is $100 each if they're nice. Sounds like guy is in a hurry to move them as well which is good.

I have no experience with these. Is there certain things I can look for to make sure they're in good shape as far as internals go? I don't want to drag one or all of these back home only to find out they need a shit ton of work.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
on an unrelated note, I'm putting my 2530 up for $120 to locals.

no bites though.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Is that $500 for all? If so, that's still too much.

Yup. $500 each is not even in the ballpark. If you offer him what they're actually worth, he's probably just going to dismiss you as a lowballer.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Most 20" PVM's, 100 each max in nice shape. Brodeal ~50 bucks.

20L5 is a grail tier monitor... it does HD resolutions as well as SD, and was made later than most CRT PVMs. Honestly, I'd personally pay around 100-200 bucks for one if it was in great shape.

Last edited:

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Most 20" PVM's, 100 each max in nice shape. Brodeal ~50 bucks.

20L5 is a grail tier monitor... it does HD resolutions as well as SD, and was made later than most CRT PVMs. Honestly, I'd personally pay around 100-200 bucks for one if it was in great shape.
From the pics he's sent, they look good. I'm just hoping he's in a hurry to move them so that I can get them on the cheap. Not sure where I'd put the other 2 though

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
I think the guy is asking way too much as well. The highest I think I'm willing to go is $100 each if they're nice. Sounds like guy is in a hurry to move them as well which is good.

I have no experience with these. Is there certain things I can look for to make sure they're in good shape as far as internals go? I don't want to drag one or all of these back home only to find out they need a shit ton of work.

screen burn...

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Yeah, just turn it on and look at the screen, lol!

I think the 20L5 tracks hours of usage as well.
Well that's the first thing I'll be doing. I meant if they're any red flags I can look out for on the internals.

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Unless he lives really close to you, I would communicate the fact that his asking price is well over the actual value of the monitors before actually going over to check them out. Otherwise you will be wasting your time. As long as there is no screen burn, and they are decently bright, you should be okay. Maybe bring something to hook up to the monitors with you if this person does not have something to put up an image on them.

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Unless he lives really close to you, I would communicate the fact that his asking price is well over the actual value of the monitors before actually going over to check them out. Otherwise you will be wasting your time. As long as there is no screen burn, and they are decently bright, you should be okay. Maybe bring something to hook up to the monitors with you if this person does not have something to put up an image on them.
Thats a good idea. Even though he's only a few miles from me, might as well save an unnecessary trip. I may bring a scart or component console to check it if he doesnt have anything to hook it too.

Thamiel

Mr. Big's Thug
Local guy near me selling 3 of these. He's asking $500 or best offer. My questions are simple; what are these worth, and what should I be looking for?
Yeah, just turn it on and look at the screen, lol!

I think the 20L5 tracks hours of usage as well.

Nah, they don't unfortunately

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

420p

King's Dry Cleaner
500 is totally off, I don't think i lowballed on my PVMs/BVM in Germany, so here is what I paid:
20M7MDE was 90 Euros
20M4E was 60 Euros
2130QM was 50 Euros
20F1E was 200 Euros

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
I will be the odd one out here saying that while $500 is still too much I would definitely consider this if the condition was good and he was willing to go down to somewhere in the $300 - 400 range. Comparisons to the old stuff like 20M4 or even older 2130 / 2530 are not really valid - image quality wise the monitor is on par with a BVM20F1 in decent shape and has the added benefit of being a newer design and supporting HD resolutions .

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
And that is exactly why the prices on these are starting to skyrocket.

"Sure, you're asking quadruple what it's realistically worth, I'll only give you triple, and that's my FINAL OFFER!"

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
And that is exactly why the prices on these are starting to skyrocket.

"Sure, you're asking quadruple what it's realistically worth, I'll only give you triple, and that's my FINAL OFFER!"

Preach, brotha!

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener

The prices on these things just depend on the area where you live. If you're in SoCal or NY, you should be having no trouble finding broadcast monitors and can get them for way cheaper. But even at $500 seems a bit high for that monitor. The most I would offer for that pvm is in the $250-$300 range.

And even then I would want to make sure that the monitor is in tip top shape and in fantastic condition. Preferably one that doesn't have many operating hours. If you can have him demo the tv for you, and you find some things that don't seem right, you could try knocking down the price some more. And if it's something that seems serious you can save your money on the purchase altogether.

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
The prices on these things just depend on the area where you live. If you're in SoCal or NY, you should be having no trouble finding broadcast monitors and can get them for way cheaper. But even at $500 seems a bit high for that monitor. The most I would offer for that pvm is in the $250-$300 range.

And even then I would want to make sure that the monitor is in tip top shape and in fantastic condition. Preferably one that doesn't have many operating hours. If you can have him demo the tv for you, and you find some things that don't seem right, you could try knocking down the price some more. And if it's something that seems serious you can save your money on the purchase altogether.

Bingo, they seem to be available at decent prices in very specific regions. It seems like the medical style PVMs are all over Florida for example, while LA and NY have a lot of the broadcast monitors.