Unibios future version color changes, feedback wanted.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
The main Universe Bios screen colors have changed a few times over the years and given that I am now starting work on the next version, I have confirmed to myself it will be version 4.0. Before anyone asks there is currently no ETA I can give apart from during 2018.

Now, to mark the milestone I want to give where possible the universe bios a facelift.

Here are some screenshots of what I currently plan and would like some feedback (good and bad) and also new ideas if anyone has any.

What I am trying to achieve here is the black & gold feel one finds on an AES shell & joystick shell. I think I have got the gold color about right (not 100% sure).

Overall, what do you guys think? Anyone have ideas also?

unibios 4.0 beta1.png

unibios 4.0 beta2.png

unibios 4.0 beta3.png

unibios 4.0 beta4.png

joala

A Joala is for Life., Not Just Christmas.,
Excellent!

Good luck with v4 Raz!

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I like it man. Looks cleaner and sleeker with that color scheme.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Just thinking out loud, but if you're going for the AES Gold look, why not have the Universe BIOS version in teal letters, like the "Advanced Entertainment System". I'd like to see the version underneath NEO●GEO in the same font as "beta version" text, in teal. Also, the line dividing region / mode and the serial number could be wine red or magenta. Post an image without scanlines, so that we could maybe edit the colors ourselves. Also, when you choose a cheat, the marking in the checkbox could be wine red as well.

If you'd change the "Universe Bios" version to smaller font, you could also remove the dashes and just have "UNIVERSE BIOS VERSION 4.0" instead. Again, just thinking out loud. Id have to see it to know if it works visually.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Morden, Here are four pictures. First is same as the first without scanlines. Next is the same but with small font. Next has the lines removed from either side and the last moves it down a line.

It is not possible to add a different font with a bulk standard neogeo.

unibios 4.0 noscan.png

unibios 4.0small1.png

unibios 4.0small2.png

unibios 4.0small3.png

Last edited:

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Might finally need to upgrade..I'm a few revisions behind.

I like version 2

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Might finally need to upgrade..I'm a few revisions behind.

I like version 2

You mean the one with the smaller font but keeping the lines either side?

MobiusStripTech

Mr. Big's Thug
This looks so good. Assuming when released we will still need to mail in the UniBios for upgrade? If so, you will be very busy just off of how good this looks.

FBX

Quiz Detective
Assuming when released we will still need to mail in the UniBios for upgrade? If so, you will be very busy just off of how good this looks.

I got to thinking about this and was wondering if we could buy a 2nd UNIBIOS chip for the same machine, and then for future upgrades, we mail one of them in while the other previous revision stays in the machine? I'd hate to be without the UNIBIOS even for the month or two it would take to get it upgraded.

Also my vote is for the forth image version. Nice and clean.

MobiusStripTech

Mr. Big's Thug
I got to thinking about this and was wondering if we could buy a 2nd UNIBIOS chip for the same machine, and then for future upgrades, we mail one of them in while the other previous revision stays in the machine? I'd hate to be without the UNIBIOS even for the month or two it would take to get it upgraded.

Also my vote is for the forth image version. Nice and clean.

It sucks that people had to ruin our ability to upgrade it ourselves by abusing the system, but there is always someone like that.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
It sucks that people had to ruin our ability to upgrade it ourselves by abusing the system, but there is always someone like that.

If you buy the real deal from Raz, you can always upgrade yourself. You just have to be registered and be able to dump the Uni BIOS you own. Even if you're not a paying customer, you're only one version behind. For what Universe BIOS is offering, that isn't bad at all.

As for the screens, I was looking at the AES box:

NeoGeoAESBox.jpg

And this is what I [roughly] had in mind when speaking of teal / magenta use:

NeoGeoUniverseLogo01.png

However, there are far too many dashes. I'd like to see "--- UNIVERSE BIOS V4.0 ---" replaced with "UNIVERSE BIOS VERSION 4.0"

Last edited:

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Personally I like the 1st from the four new images but its still early days.

greatfunky

Mr. Big's Thug
I'm not really tempted by the magenta because i'm not familiar with the "gold system " logo (my box doesn't have one) .
But for sure this next release will be a must have .

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Im not to keen on those colors either but I can see why you suggested it. It seems my gold color is a little out maybe. I'm more trying to match the colors on the AES and the Jotstick rather than the box. I don't have an AES here but is that gold in the picture you posted morden identical to the gold on the AES shell?

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Im not to keen on those colors either but I can see why you suggested it. It seems my gold color is a little out maybe. I'm more trying to match the colors on the AES and the Jotstick rather than the box. I don't have an AES here but is that gold in the picture you posted morden identical to the gold on the AES shell?

Your gold is better. That scan is too yellow. This was just a suggestion, to make the start screen relate better to the colors of the packaging. On the back of the AES box you have those magenta lines and cyan shapes. The rest is basically black & white, aside from screenshots. These were the dominant colors of the original box design. The cyan is clashing with the SNK blue. Not having the SNK Forever would balance things out a bit, as well as writing out "VERSION" instead of "V.".

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Nice =D =D Love that golden yellow to the main NEO GEO text. Worth upgrading just for that lol!

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
After doing some copying and pasting, this is more in line with what I had in mind visually. And again, too many dashes all over the place.

NeoGeoUniverseLogo02.png

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
morden, its not possible to align text like you have off 8x8 boundries.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
morden, its not possible to align text like you have off 8x8 boundries.

I know. It would be one more space to the left or right. I just aligned it like that to illustrate what I meant, visually. Having that odd space on either of the sides isn't that big a deal, anyway. But you weren't digging the color combination, so I guess we're not getting that version no matter if it's centered or not.

NeoGeoUniverseLogo03.png

There. Now it's adjusted to right, according to tiles. The dashed line is now solid, too. Is this anything, or are we ditching these colors and never ever considering them?

Last edited: