Retro-bit’s Bluetooth and USB Dreamcast + Saturn controllers

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Ahh, those pics again. Now I know.

Igakajook

Armored Scrum Object
I'll give that 6 button Genesis a try if the reviews are solid. Always loved that controller.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
These sound awesome, but being Retro-Bit I need to keep my expectations in check. I really hope these don't suck! I've been wanting more options like these after being spoiled by my SNES 8bitdo controllers.

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I hope they got permission to use Sega's actual design for the controls (as in the internals, d-pad, buttons) as well - those really are some of the best. If they did I'm crossing my fingers it's made to good tolerances. Genesis is the only system I can't find a good non-IR wireless solution for.

Last edited:

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
If they're decent quality, then that's going to be awesome. I think Retro-bit has been trying to step up the quality to match 8bitdo.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Yep, I'm excited but am not sure if they're going to pull it off in terms of quality. I'll buy the Gen and Saturn wireless ones if they don't suck.

Edit: I'd only want the Saturn one if it came in white.

Last edited:

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
I'm anticipating the hell out these. Definitely in for the bluetooth ones.....probably in for the regular console ones but not really sure if there will be any advantage over the kind we already have. No interest in the USB ones at the moment

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
I intend to pick up one of the wireless Saturn & Genesis controllers.

That being said, the thing I'm actually more interested in is the S-video cable for the Genesis. There's never been an S-video cable released for the Genesis outside of custom-made stuff. It will be AWESOME to hook up my Genesis to my CRT in full S-video glory.

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
That being said, the thing I'm actually more interested in is the S-video cable for the Genesis. There's never been an S-video cable released for the Genesis outside of custom-made stuff. It will be AWESOME to hook up my Genesis to my CRT in full S-video glory.

At that point, it's worth investing in a $75 Shinybow SB-2840 RGB to YPbPr/Component converter box. You can then hook up any RGB video game console (which the Sega Genesis outputs RGB natively with a ~$20 cable) to a consumer TV which has Component inputs and it'll look the best it can. If your consumer TV only has S-Video, I see you live in the USA - consumer TV's with component inputs are extremely common on Craigslist - usually for free or super cheap (since most municipalities charge people to recycle TV's now).

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
At that point, it's worth investing in a $75 Shinybow SB-2840 RGB to YPbPr/Component converter box. You can then hook up any RGB video game console (which the Sega Genesis outputs RGB natively with a ~$20 cable) to a consumer TV which has Component inputs and it'll look the best it can. If your consumer TV only has S-Video, I see you live in the USA - consumer TV's with component inputs are extremely common on Craigslist - usually for free or super cheap (since most municipalities charge people to recycle TV's now).

Would that composite cable work with a model 1 MegaDrive?

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Would that composite cable work with a model 1 MegaDrive?

Do you mean to say Component (i.e. YPbPr) instead of Composite?

The only cable I was talking about is a RGB cable which I do in fact use on my model 1 Sega Genesis ("High Definition Graphics" version), and I would assume the model 1 MegaDrive outputs RGB natively as well. I then convert that RGB signal (which is the highest quality signal you can get out of a Genesis), into Component/YPbPr for use on my consumer TV (which is the highest quality signal a standard definition consumer TV from the United States can use) and it looks great.

Mr. Mort

Another Striker

Yeah, I'm aware of this. I already have a set of HDRetrovision component cables for my Genesis. One of my CRT's does have component in, but my main CRT that I play most of my older systems on only has S-video. I've just been looking for a way to play my Genny on that particular TV.

Both the model 1 and the model 2 Genesis have RGB output.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Do you mean to say Component (i.e. YPbPr) instead of Composite?

The only cable I was talking about is a RGB cable which I do in fact use on my model 1 Sega Genesis ("High Definition Graphics" version), and I would assume the model 1 MegaDrive outputs RGB natively as well. I then convert that RGB signal (which is the highest quality signal you can get out of a Genesis), into Component/YPbPr for use on my consumer TV (which is the highest quality signal a standard definition consumer TV from the United States can use) and it looks great.

Yes, I meant to say component.

Hmm, OK. This would almost definitely work with my PVM, which does both component and RGB. I have a big-ass consumer CRT, but I don't know if it converts from RGB to component.

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Hmm, OK. This would almost definitely work with my PVM, which does both component and RGB. I have a big-ass consumer CRT, but I don't know if it converts from RGB to component.

For your PVM all you need is a RGB cable (specifically meant for the model 1 since that has a different size plug than the model 2) from a company like Retro-Access.com or retrogamingcables.co.uk. I would suggest you get the one with a stereo audio cable going to the front to get stereo sound (stereo only works from the front headphone port, whereas anything plugged into the back is mono sound only- SUPER easy to mod the Genesis for stereo out the back if you're a DIY kinda person, and definitely a cleaner way to do it instead of a wire leading to the front which annoys me).

For your big ass consumer CRT TV, that would need the Shinybow SB-2840 RGB to Component converter. You could also get the HDRetrovision Component cables as well, but those kinda suck since they're like $50-60/each, are commonly sold out for months upon months, and are only available for a select few systems – whereas the $75 Shinybow will work on any RGB console (which there's a ton of), and is simply a much smarter device to invest in if you have (or have any plans for the future) on running a bunch of systems on your consumer TV.

Last edited:

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Yep, I'm excited but am not sure if they're going to pull it off in terms of quality. I'll buy the Gen and Saturn wireless ones if they don't suck.

Edit: I'd only want the Saturn one if it came in white.
Makes 2 of us. The white saturn controller is clearly the best one.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
For your PVM all you need is a RGB cable (specifically meant for the model 1 since that has a different size plug than the model 2) from a company like Retro-Access.com or retrogamingcables.co.uk. I would suggest you get the one with a stereo audio cable going to the front to get stereo sound (stereo only works from the front headphone port, whereas anything plugged into the back is mono sound only- SUPER easy to mod the Genesis for stereo out the back if you're a DIY kinda person, and definitely a cleaner way to do it instead of a wire leading to the front which annoys me).

For your big ass consumer CRT TV, that would need the Shinybow SB-2840 RGB to Component converter. You could also get the HDRetrovision Component cables as well, but those kinda suck since they're like $50-60/each, are commonly sold out for months upon months, and are only available for a select few systems – whereas the $75 Shinybow will work on any RGB console (which there's a ton of), and is simply a much smarter device to invest in if you have (or have any plans for the future) on running a bunch of systems on your consumer TV.

Good info. Thanks!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah, I'm hesitant to spend that much on an unknown controller but you are probably right.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
If it ends up being the Sega equivalent of the good 8bitdo pads I'll be happy to give him that much. $35 for the SNES pad and $20 for the retro receiver isn't too far away from Krikkz price. But for $65 it had better be damn perfect.

I've mentioned before that I enjoy the Hyperkin 6 button Genesis clones. It's a good $12 clone controller, but it's not a perfect replica and if Krikkz' controller felt like that I'd be pissed. Megadrive is his passion though, so it's probably really good.

pva

Mega Shock!!
If it ends up being the Sega equivalent of the good 8bitdo pads I'll be happy to give him that much. $35 for the SNES pad and $20 for the retro receiver isn't too far away from Krikkz price. But for $65 it had better be damn perfect.

Yeah, the $65 price tag is steep enough to give me pause, too. I think I'm going to wait for the first reviews to roll in before pulling the trigger. The 8bitdo pads have been pretty solid, and if the Krikzz pad turns out to be half as good, I'll be over it like a fat kid over a Smartie.