SNES RGB?

ApolloBoy

Edo Express Delivery Guy
YAJ is the best place to look...
The SFC Jr. is a bit more expensive than the SNES mini though. It's more cost-effective to just pick up an SNES mini, mod it and then cut the cart slot tabs.

ekek2009

n00b
The SFC Jr. is a bit more expensive than the SNES mini though. It's more cost-effective to just pick up an SNES mini, mod it and then cut the cart slot tabs.

Your right, I didn't even think about that. I just normally buy NTSC-J systems.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student

Or you can use a game genie as your multi-region pass-through adapter.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Can any of you guys do the mod to a mini if I can find one?

I'm sure plenty of people here can, it's pretty damn simple as far as modding goes. I'm willing to bet if you got one and put up a thread, someone would do the work for you. I'd offer to do the mod, but I'd have no way to test it since I use my own cable and not a scart cable.

ApolloBoy

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Can any of you guys do the mod to a mini if I can find one?
I'm not really in the modding/repair biz anymore, but I could try tackling that for you. I've done a bunch of minis before so it's no sweat.

aclbandit

Another Striker
Awesome thread! I knew the SNES could output RGB on a SCART, just never thought of using that to put it in a cab.

meka

n00b
Snes Mini rgb modded has the best picture, but it does glitch a bit more than other models. For example I tried 2 SFC and 2 US SNES (one of each was a 1chip) on a PVM with Demon's Crest. On the SNES Mini there was graphical glitches on the top of the screen, but this was not present in the other 4 consoles I tested. I also tested all of them with Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts and they all have graphical glitches on the top of the screen. Having said this I'd rather the odd glitch with superior picture quality.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
RetroRGB is awesome for sure.

The minis arguably have brighter/sharper output, but they're not necessarily "better." I used to be in the 'minis are better' school, but this post makes a lot of sense: <URL>

Its a very interesting post. I think that this take is entirely probable - Nintendo seem to use the bluriness effect to smooth out their visuals with e.g. the N64 being a good example. SO it may be the case that this is just what the manufacturer had in mind and the sharp graphics of the Mini are somewhat accidental.

Last edited:

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
I say the CHIP-1 SNES is just as good as the mini, but they can be tricky to find. Mini is the safe bet with only one revision, but requires a steady hand when soldering. The multiout solder pads of the original console are freak'n huge.

SMW: CHIP-1 SNES / 240p RGB / 14L5 PVM
20140205_122244_13-1.jpg

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
I say the CHIP-1 SNES is just as good as the mini, but they can be tricky to find. Mini is the safe bet with only one revision, but requires a steady hand when soldering. The multiout solder pads of the original console are freak'n huge.

SMW: CHIP-1 SNES / 240p RGB / 14L5 PVM
View attachment 13208

I am pretty sure I said this back earlier in the thread. If you RGB Bypass the 1 Chip it is identical to the mini, they use the same PPU. My 1-Chip is bypassed and its picture quality is the same as every Mini RGB mod I have done.

ApolloBoy

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I wonder if anyone's tried the 1chip RGB bypass mod on a non-1chip system, maybe that would fix the blurry RGB?

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
I wonder if anyone's tried the 1chip RGB bypass mod on a non-1chip system, maybe that would fix the blurry RGB?

I have, it was still blurry. Back when I was talking to Drakon he got the same results. I might actually revisit the Idea later but I currently don't have the money to buy another SNES at the moment so that will be put off till after July (I only have the one chip at the moment).

Last edited:

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
Actually scratch that, I forgot I had an SNES with a smashed to shit back panel. Once I rewire a video and power port I will wire up an amp and try some stuff. I had an Idea I want to try before I post anything on it. I will try it sometime this week or weekend.

Last edited:

I have, it was still blurry. Back when I was talking to Drakon he got the same results. I might actually revisit the Idea later but I currently don't have the money to buy another SNES at the moment so that will be put off till after July (I only have the one chip at the moment).

I read about Drakon trying that method as well without success.

Last edited:

DonBurgundy

NEST Puppet
This thread has me wanting to slap one of Todd's RGB amps in my 1-CHIP! Is it worth it tho?

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
This thread has me wanting to slap one of Todd's RGB amps in my 1-CHIP! Is it worth it tho?

It makes the 1-Chip about on par with the mini and gets rid of the center translucent bar if it has it.

Here is a stupid diagram I made for someone that sent me a pic of their 1-Chip PCB. Its not exact and is just meant to show you where to tap RGB, Power, and ground for the amp.

Last edited:

DonBurgundy

NEST Puppet
I don't have a problem with the vertical bar like I have seen in pics like on retrorgb. Doesn't seem like it makes that much of a difference but I'll get around to it one of these days.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
It does not make that much of a difference, the 1-Chip and mini are damn close even before the bypass. Bypassing it is to fix the bar if you have it (not all systems will) and just makes it equal to the SNES mini when it comes to video quality. I did this bypass simply because I had the center bar on my 1-Chip and I wanted to put the argument on whether if the mini or 1-Chip was better to rest. Pretty much they are the same if you know how to mod.

It does not make that much of a difference, the 1-Chip and mini are damn close even before the bypass. Bypassing it is to fix the bar if you have it (not all systems will) and just makes it equal to the SNES mini when it comes to video quality. I did this bypass simply because I had the center bar on my 1-Chip and I wanted to put the argument on whether if the mini or 1-Chip was better to rest. Pretty much they are the same if you know how to mod.

Doesn't this amp actually add a bit of edge enhancement? (this would be the only reason why the SNES Mini would "appear" sharper. When in fact, the amp used on the Mini is only adding artificial sharpness to an already pixel-perfect picture)

DonBurgundy

NEST Puppet

Got you. If the bar pops up I'll bypass it then. Thanks for the info. This is a good thread.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
Doesn't this amp actually add a bit of edge enhancement? (this would be the only reason why the SNES Mini would "appear" sharper. When in fact, the amp used on the Mini is only adding artificial sharpness to an already pixel-perfect picture)

Neither of the amps are adding any sharpness to the picture, they just amp what is already there. Its sharper because you bypass any caps that were making the picture softer. You would get the same result as the THS7314 with the stock encoder if you lift the legs of the encoder in the SNES and run the the RGB lines directly to the AV port through 75 Ohm resistors. The encoder in the one chip is identical to the BA6596F found in the mini in terms of picture quality (pin out is even the same). This is a much simpler bypass and looks the same as the THS7314 bypass however it does not remove the center translucent bar if your 1-Chip has that issue. The mini is sharper than the stock 1-Chip because 99.9% of the RGB mods done are just taking RGB off the video encoder and passing it through resistors.

Last edited:
Neither of the amps are adding any sharpness to the picture, they just amp what is already there. Its sharper because you bypass any caps that were making the picture softer. You would get the same result as the THS7314 with the stock encoder if you lift the legs of the encoder in the SNES and run the the RGB lines directly to the AV port through 75 Ohm resistors. The encoder in the one chip is identical to the BA6596F found in the mini in terms of picture quality (pin out is even the same). This is a much simpler bypass and looks the same as the THS7314 bypass however it does not remove the center translucent bar if your 1-Chip has that issue. The mini is sharper than the stock 1-Chip because 99.9% of the RGB mods done are just taking RGB off the video encoder and passing it through resistors.

Oh I see. That makes sense. By the way, have you considered trying to fix the ghosting issue?

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
Oh I see. That makes sense. By the way, have you considered trying to fix the ghosting issue?

The ghosting issue from what I can see is a problem straight off the PPU and is further compounded by other noise on the PCB (such as audio). Running RGB straight off the PPU will give you ghosting still but last time I did this I wired it to a new port with only video and the problem was slightly less. When I connected audio to it as well it got worse. The severity of the ghosting will also vary depending on the quality of your scart cable. A poorly made/grounded cable will result in more ghosting.

The ghosting issue from what I can see is a problem straight off the PPU and is further compounded by other noise on the PCB (such as audio). Running RGB straight off the PPU will give you ghosting still but last time I did this I wired it to a new port with only video and the problem was slightly less. When I connected audio to it as well it got worse. The severity of the ghosting will also vary depending on the quality of your scart cable. A poorly made/grounded cable will result in more ghosting.

I wonder why the ghosting is virtually invisible on the older 2chip PPU's.

Which 1CHIP systems have you seen the ghosting on? 1CHIP-01? 1CHIP-02? 1CHIP-03?