EURO FAGZ!... It's gonna be CIVIL WAR in Spain!!!

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
Proxy blocked the site but... tl;dr version:

We want indepencenceeeee!! aaaand it's gone.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I don't understand the thinking behind the Catalans wanting to leave Spain... are the women/men/trans being raped by the other Spanish?

...Do they have to sacrifice 20 Virgins a year to the Madrid Government?

TELL ME!

xROTx

MySoberCompanion

Formerly the Drunk, known as Tyrandom.,
I don't understand too, seems they have far more to lose than to gain.

But hey, if they really believe in it, props to them.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I don’t like the idea of an independant Catalan state because I see Spain’s international bargaining power diminished, and that the costs for Catalonia to integrate into its status as an independent nation, complete with military, trade agreements, and government agencies - this isn’t going to come for free from Spain. Plus the Catalonia state will need to return Spanish property and repay Spain for the fixtures that it cannot simply return (a la Crimea, where Ukraine thought the bases and nuclear subs were theirs, even though they were Russia’s).

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Basically, Catalan thinks of itself as an autonomous part of Spain, with their own unique cultural heritage. All (or most?) schools even teach in the Catalan language. They also (from how the USA news and the BBC seem to report on it) think of themselves as better? (for lack of a better word) than the rest of the country - some areas can have a higher standard of living, higher wages, and are more wealthy than some/many? parts of the rest of Spain (and the news reports like to play clips of Catalans saying things like how they're "tired of paying for the rest of the country").

There is also a backdrop going back to the Franco dictatorship (ended mid-70's?) where they were basically put on notice by the government (i.e. crackdowns), had thousands of people killed, thousands more put into prison, mass exodus for many families as well – and other bad shit like that. So since that's still semi-recent memory for some of their 50+ population, I'm sure that doesn't make them feel good about being part of Spain either.

So lately they had an unofficial vote ("unofficial" according to Spain, "official" according to Catalan) on basically if they were going to succeed from Spain (conflicting reports on what percentage actually voted, and/or what the results actually were), and Spain police came in and beat the shit out of a lot of people trying to vote, riots, protestors, etc. Now the "president" of Catalan is backpedaling it seems, since he doesn't want to go to jail...so we'll see what happens. (and any native Spanish, Catalan people - please correct me if I have any of this wrong - I'm simply an imperialistic American pig-dog who pays attention to the news ;)

Last edited:

Ren-chan

Well... it's a bit complicated, we as a country don't stand each other as one lot, one community hates another, the other one thinks they are the best, rinse and repeat.
I've heard all sort of stories from what people outside Catalonia thinks what's inside Catalonia... like we force kids to talk in catalan at school or we punish them... or stupid shit like that we speak catalan to everyone and we do not switch languages if we are spoke in spanish/english/whatever...
**edit**
Once a colleague was near Madrid and he started speaking to her daughter in catalan while having a drink on a terrace... then someone approached them and complained "how do you dare to speak in catalan in front of other people". Sad stories...

Of course there is stupid people everywhere but at least it's a low %

Anyways, there has been this "disgusting feeling" against catalonia for a loooong time already, too many years... and people at the end said "enough". Sadly, TV and politicians are the most culprits for all this, showing a fake situation that never happened.

Edited with something that happened to a work colleague.

Last edited:

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
The faster the EU crumbles the better.
:keke:

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i think this is more of a ketchup on eggs problem.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
i think this is more of a ketchup on eggs problem.

I like Scotch Eggs... But I don't Like the present Scottish Govt...

Does this make me a ketchup lover?

xROTx

PS. Ren-Chan is gonna take up arms lads... he's going for it...

Ren-chan

1118full-hot-shots%21-part-deux-screenshot.jpg

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Once a colleague was near Madrid and he started speaking to her daughter in catalan while having a drink on a terrace... then someone approached them and complained "how do you dare to speak in catalan in front of other people". Sad stories...

That's fucked up. Sounds like there's not a lot of harmony in Spain.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
This is a flood that Europe wants to avoid. The Basques, the Scots, etc. All the while attempting to avoid hypocrisy while commenting on the Kurds, the Rohingya, the Uighur, etc. Already the secessionists in Southern Brazil are pointing to the Catalans as a reason to push harder for an independent state.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Let's all come together! Let's all separate! Let's all come together! Let's all separate!

Etc etc etc

People are so fucking dull.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
States rights! jk....

I don't see how Catalan would be able to have a sustainable infrastructure.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
This is a flood that Europe wants to avoid. The Basques, the Scots, etc. All the while attempting to avoid hypocrisy while commenting on the Kurds, the Rohingya, the Uighur, etc. Already the secessionists in Southern Brazil are pointing to the Catalans as a reason to push harder for an independent state.

Meanwhile Mother Russia watches with bated breath. The seeds of discontent have taken root.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
This will go great, just like Brexit.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
can we still call them "dwarves" or is that politically incorrect now? (not like i give a shit)

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I think it's pretty cool we have a Catalonian member while this is happening.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
Interesting stuff. I wonder how many similar situations there are around the world (whats this about Brazil?). Whenever I see stuff like this in the news I can't help but think Quebec will be riled up again.