Nerd drama from Twin Galaxies

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
This is just sad in general. WHO THE FUCK CARES about these "world records". This youtuber is hellbent on attacking not only these scores that no one gives a fuck about (wtf is Dragster), but also the guy's character. Seriously, do you have nothing better in your life going on that you've had to create this mission to discredit some shmuck who has nothing but his collection of pet snakes and a few random high scores of games no one cares for? Surely there are better things to use your powers of deduction on.

Twin Galaxies has been a sham from the get-go. Anyone from back in the day knows this. The only reason it's got so much notoriety in this day is because of the Kong documentary. Before that no one really took TG that seriously.

Seems like an awful waste of effort tbh.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Before that no one really took TG that seriously.

Did anyone take TG seriously after the Kong documentary? All I took away from it was that they all seemed to suck Billy Mitchell's dick who was obviously a cheater anyways. Not sure how any of this is new news.

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Yep, the laymans took it seriously after the documentary. People who weren't in the hobby ate it up. I would get so annoyed with friends that would talk about TG like they were the be-all end-all of gaming scores.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Who was the cuck in the kong movie going around announcing a possible donkey kong killscreen coming up?

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
P5290009.jpg

It all comes together...

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I used to have a super nice Crystal Castles machine. I played the fuck out of it. I was good too. I never submitted a score but I had been thinking about it. Then I watched that DK movie and was like.. what the fuck. I quit playing it after that. I still like the game, but no longer had any interest in going for a top tier score. I realized that being good at a video game was kind of pointless, because in the end... you're good at a video game.

That and Zookeeper were my two main arcade games that I could play the fuck out of. That whole culture they have created is kind of disgusting to me. Like a big jack off circle. It's one thing to share an enjoyment of games, but that shit is too far gone for me.

godzilla43

Geese's Thug
This is just sad in general. WHO THE FUCK CARES about these "world records". This youtuber is hellbent on attacking not only these scores that no one gives a fuck about (wtf is Dragster), but also the guy's character. Seriously, do you have nothing better in your life going on that you've had to create this mission to discredit some shmuck who has nothing but his collection of pet snakes and a few random high scores of games no one cares for? Surely there are better things to use your powers of deduction on.

Twin Galaxies has been a sham from the get-go. Anyone from back in the day knows this. The only reason it's got so much notoriety in this day is because of the Kong documentary. Before that no one really took TG that seriously.

Seems like an awful waste of effort tbh.

Dragster yes but DK is totally different matter. Loads more people know DK than Neo Geo for instance. I have not watched hellbent youtube videos but if we now have the tools/knowledge to discover that these high scores are bullshit and those players were cheaters then hell yeah expose all them!
The funny thing is that Billy Mitchell high score in DK is so far from Robbie Lakemans score that those two guys are playing totally different game. Kinda same than Brian Kuh in King of Kong talking about killscreens and challenging Steve Wiebe..

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
who gives a shit if you can finish super mario bros. in five minutes? it's not like you painted the sistine chapel, hotshot.

Last edited:

godzilla43

Geese's Thug
who gives a shit if you can finish super mario bros. in five minutes? it's not like you painted the sistine chapel, hotshot.

yes, let's keep things in perspective it is one thing to finish super mario and other thing to create renesance masterpiece. still nowadays that kid who finish super mario in x amount time is getting more money than we and
http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,991556,00.html
even 1999 before all this retro game hype you still got your name in time magazine for making a world record in a classic arcade game.

Last edited:

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Who was the cuck in the kong movie going around announcing a possible donkey kong killscreen coming up?

Brian Kuh, retired in his early 30's to play games professionally. Owns zero records.

Priorities ... :keke:

As for the Dragster controversy, I for one am glad they got the old dirtbag ... I don't care about justice, Twin Galaxies or that stupid game, but I'm glad they've managed to finally expose this doucher for the cheater he is. I mean ... he built his life and reputation on lies, going to game conventions, showing off his Guinness World Record ... and every time he was supposed to show off his skills he'd find an excuse. That's pretty damn pathetic, and I don't feel bad for him.

Last time I checked, no one liked lying douchebags.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Well ... Looks like Billy Mitchell is up next ... Crack reporters on reputable video game news outlets are already sealing his fate. The article opens with:

"A prominent Donkey Kong forum has removed some scores supposedly earned by legendary arcade game player Billy Mitchell after evidence that there was possible foul play."

Said prominent forum is supposed to be this one, where a poll thread concerning Mitchell's scores started in September 2017 has now reached a whole two pages and has managed to gather 12 votes against keeping Mitchell's scores, and 14 votes for keeping them. Good job, Kotaku.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
Well ... Looks like Billy Mitchell is up next ... Crack reporters on reputable video game news outlets are already sealing his fate. The article opens with:

"A prominent Donkey Kong forum has removed some scores supposedly earned by legendary arcade game player Billy Mitchell after evidence that there was possible foul play."

Said prominent forum is supposed to be this one, where a poll thread concerning Mitchell's scores started in September 2017 has now reached a whole two pages and has managed to gather 12 votes against keeping Mitchell's scores, and 14 votes for keeping them. Good job, Kotaku.

LOL Reputable, KOTAKU and "news" don't belong anywhere near each other.

I get the sarcasm is implied, but I seriously will take any opportunity to say that kotaku is a joke.

Last edited:

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
This is just sad in general. WHO THE FUCK CARES about these "world records". This youtuber is hellbent on attacking not only these scores that no one gives a fuck about (wtf is Dragster), but also the guy's character.

He did it for the views/subscribers. Everybody likes controversy. I'd bet most of the record holders don't even care about their own records anymore. And the cheaters probably moved on, grew up and changed their ways.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
He did it for the views/subscribers. Everybody likes controversy. I'd bet most of the record holders don't even care about their own records anymore. And the cheaters probably moved on, grew up and changed their ways.

Sadly you would think this is the case. But it's not.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Every few months or so I go over to the scoreboard and see if anyone has beaten my two scores and both still stand as the 20 year mark approaches. I use it as a conversation piece but if one or both would fall, I'd just shrug my shoulders, tell myself it was nice while it lasted and not give it another thought ;)

MetalSludge

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
I suppose there is nothing wrong with wanting to be excellent at something, even just games. But it is what it is - a game. And perhaps one should mostly want to be good at it for its own sake. Things are more fun when you are good at them.

I mean, I liked that movie Searching for Bobbie Fisher about a child chess prodigy. But the parts I liked best were the ones where the boy's teacher is brutally explaining things to him like how there is, ultimately, no special recognition for reaching a certain level or any official certificate of excellence. If you do it, it's for yourself.

The parts where the boy's father is going about acting offended that people are not recognizing his son's game as "art" make me just want to smack the father. Um, no, it's not art, it's still a game.