Question on Neo Geo AES power supply

It works! all the graphical and sound errors in Rage of the Dragons and Matrimelee are gone. Puzzle Bobble still resets itself. That tells me it's a game problem. I'm going to re-clean it and see if that helps.

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
I just bought a 5v 3 amp regulated PSU for an MVS job, works brilliantly too, and only cost $22 AUD.

Got it from a Jaycar stockist if anyone in Australia is interested.

NEO-GEO man

Can the 5v PSU be used on a 9-12 volt NEO-AES without any mods can it?

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
NEO-GEO man said:
I just bought a 5v 3 amp regulated PSU for an MVS job, works brilliantly too, and only cost $22 AUD.
That's fucking cheap!

Can the 5v PSU be used on a 9-12 volt NEO-AES without any mods can it?
You'll need to break the connection between the DC plug and the input of the 5v regulator and connect it to the output instead.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You'll need to break the connection between the DC plug and the input of the 5v regulator and connect it to the output instead.

Only thing though is that you'll be bypassing the power switch so when you plug in the PSU the unit will turn on.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
I didn't mean to directly connect the plug to the regulator, you'd obviously do it from the switch or another suitable point.

Sorry for the confusion :)

NEO-GEO man

No worries thanks.

Yep, it was pretty cheap i thought too!! Works fine though, and at that price, i dont care if it only lasts 12 months.

Hi there,
My first message in this forum and unfortunately is not a happy message. I just picked up a Neo Geo AES from Japan and when I tried to turn it on, nothing happens. It seems completely dead. I'm not sure what could be the problem, if it's the power supply, the AV RCA Cable or the console itself.
I'm in Sweden so I had to use a stepdown AC Adapter, I don't know if that would be the problem.
Does anyone have had the same problem sometime???

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Hi there,
My first message in this forum and unfortunately is not a happy message. I just picked up a Neo Geo AES from Japan and when I tried to turn it on, nothing happens. It seems completely dead. I'm not sure what could be the problem, if it's the power supply, the AV RCA Cable or the console itself.
I'm in Sweden so I had to use a stepdown AC Adapter, I don't know if that would be the problem.
Does anyone have had the same problem sometime???

If the sticker on the bottom of the console say Pro-Pow it is a +5v system, if it says anything other than that you will need a +9v, +10, +11v or +12v supply capable of at least 2 amps would be preferred. Just remember the Neo is center negative.

NEO-GEO man

Sega Mega Drive transformer will do the job quite fine if its the 9-12 volt you need, its a 10 volt 1.2 amp and its more than enough for any game you put in there. Been using one here myself for years, and a friend has been using one on his since 1994. Never ever a single problem. 2 amps is an overkill.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
2 amps is an overkill.

I've had a few that needed 2 amps in order to play the high meg games, and I'm talking 550+. At 1.2A on some systems I couldn't even get Fatal Fury to boot properly. 9v and 10v at 2 amps is very easy to find anywhere.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
You're sure it's not a NTSC-PAL mismatch on the frequency, right?

NEO-GEO man

9v and 10v at 2 amps is very easy to find anywhere.
Is it just.... Not in my experience, maybe over there, but that is not a standard size here. Be very lucky to find them on the shelf anywhere. Ofcourse there is always mail order, but that is significantly more expensive!! 12 volt its easy to find one, but not in 9, and definately not in 10 volt!!

Ive seen a late model 4 slotter MVS that will run 4x 708 meg games for hours with a 5volt 3 amp trans, and then seen a first model 2 slotter that would take a dive every few minutes with just 2 midrange games and the same trans. So i see what youre saying there about the chip configuration yes.

You're sure it's not a NTSC-PAL mismatch on the frequency, right?
Youll still see something.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Ive seen a late model 4 slotter MVS that will run 4x 708 meg games for hours with a 5volt 3 amp trans, and then seen a first model 2 slotter that would take a dive every few minutes with just 2 midrange games and the same trans. So i see what youre saying there about the chip configuration yes.

With a non 5v AES you need to remember that there is power dissipation through a 7805. If you use a 9v PSU and need to bring it down to 5v, just through that conversion with say a 1.6A(8w) need you are looking at a loss of about 6.4 watts through dissipation. Of course using a higher voltage PSU drops the efficiency of the 7805 so you get more loss with higher voltages. A 9v@2A PSU is capable of 18 watts (max) only and that's assuming it's a good build. Some brands can go above and others may crap out a little early. With a 2A PSU you are putting out about 11.6 watts of power at the 7805 output which is equivalent to +5v@2.3A. These of course are estimates but I do know the older systems use more juice than the newer ones.

For 1st and second gen AES systems I'd recommend at least 2A, the later models I would think the 1.2A should be fine of course without MVS converters and other mods that require more power.

NEO-GEO man

You do know im an electrician by trade right? :) Your figures are very hyperthetical there ;)

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
I thought non-5v aes used a 2576 for down voltage regulation. It has a far better efficiency rating than the standard 7805. The model 1 genesis uses a pair of 7805 regulators and it's massive heatsink gets pretty hot. On non-5v aes systems, it seems to get by with just a small surface on the board without needing any other mechanism to draw away heat.

NEO-GEO man

Yeah its not a 7805 that is inside my 3-5 or 3-6.

NEO-GEO man

Having said that i dont remember what is in my friend's first version either.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It's an LM2576, I know it's not a 7805 like the MVS uses, I just used the 7805 as an example since I use that very often. The one in the AES uses the ground plane I believe to dissipate the heat.