Bitmap Books doing a book on Metal Slug franchise coming September 2019

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
More shit for you neck beards to hoard and put on your shelves collecting dust.

This looks great. Thanks for the heads-up on this. Out of curiosity, has anybody here bought any of their previous books? They come across as being pretty high quality.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
This looks great. Thanks for the heads-up on this. Out of curiosity, has anybody here bought any of their previous books? They come across as being pretty high quality.
I have three books from them, all top notch. Good quality covers, spines, paper and ink. No regrets whatsoever.

gray117

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
Really interested in seeing as much of the behind the scenes and concept stuff as possible... that sega saturn art section remains one of the more intriguing little extras - be nice to see that really expanded upon and given a top notch treatment.

Kind of wary of the post neo-geo content... hopefully it's heavy on the early stuff, and suitably light on the stuff that basically ripped off the original content...

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
From what I've seen of their books in the past they use too many pages just showing basic stuff like game covers, basic sprite art in huge size etc. Maybe I'm wrong here and this will be awesome though. I really do like those geek line books and wish they had them in English too, those are just insanely packed!

gray117

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
From what I've seen of their books in the past they use too many pages just showing basic stuff like game covers, basic sprite art in huge size etc. Maybe I'm wrong here and this will be awesome though. I really do like those geek line books and wish they had them in English too, those are just insanely packed!

Bitmap books are more coffee table art books than compendiums. The strength of this is that the emphasis is on presentation - this is what the people behind it are all about, and it generally shows. They aren't writers. To a certain extent this is totally style over (prose) substance - but that's kind of the joy when you just want to communicate how/why something like this is so compulsive.

Geekline's offerings are a bit more like an offline hg101 or something. The strength of this is approach is that they are quite comprehensive, and offer a fuller (subjective) explanation of their subject. The downside is if you don't quite 'agree' with their interview choices, or editorials, it can kind of spoil things.

This metal slug book is hopefully the kind of second bite of the apple that bitmap earn when they strike up a relationship... we'll see what they can do with it.

Last edited:

bello

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
Looks great,pre-ordered Fully loaded edition!

Missile

Another Striker
I went to order Fully Loaded Edition today and it was sold out. There were 1000 copies available. It sold more copies than the original AES Metal Slug!

Bar81

Note to self, Place interesting, Custom rank here.
20 Year Member
I went to order Fully Loaded Edition today and it was sold out. There were 1000 copies available. It sold more copies than the original AES Metal Slug!

That was quick. Neo still going strong...

Just got confirmation that my pre-order shipped! Look forward to reading this with a glass of whiskey and sitting in my favorite rocket lawnchair.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Got mine yesterday - came with a postcard and a poster. Noice.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Are you gonna rip out the pages with Slug 4 and burn them like the trash they are?

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Are you gonna rip out the pages with Slug 4 and burn them like the trash they are?

Actually I've glued those pages together with apoxy resin so you literally skip from 3 to 5.

I was tempted to tear out the page which pimps Kraut Buster... ng.dev has no place in Metal Slug history :mad:

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I was tempted to tear out the page which pimps Kraut Buster... ng.dev has no place in Metal Slug history :mad:

They actually did that? Jesus Christ, that’ll do me.