The Neo Geo mini is coming...

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
It will also be released in the West, but probably censored like the other western releases.

neo-geo-mini-samurai-shodown.jpg

Source (German)

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
It will also be released in the West, but probably censored like the other western releases.

neo-geo-mini-samurai-shodown.jpg

Source (German)

I may be in the minority, but I can't stand the transparent look. It reminds me of that bootleg CMVS and some of the offerings on Wish and Alibaba.

Personally, I love both the initial International and the Japanese version. Along with my mini, I picked up the black and a white controller. The white controller is my favorite so far.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Are the pads any good?

They're total shit. The fact they couldn't set the button config to be exactly like the NeoCD but also having no micro switches is just a super double negative. I was interested in this at 1st but it's too god damn cheaply made.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
They're total shit. The fact they couldn't set the button config to be exactly like the NeoCD but also having no micro switches is just a super double negative. I was interested in this at 1st but it's too god damn cheaply made.

Did you buy one and have you actually played with them?

The build quality is good and the pads are far away from being shit like the C64 Mini joysticks. Yes there are no micro switches and they changed the button layout but that's it. Strong slash in Samurai Spirits 2 with A+B works better than on the original CD pads. Everyone who can play games with a PlayStation or Xbox analogue pad should be able to play them on the Minis. For Fighting games I prefer arcade sticks anyway and I also can't play them seriously with an original Neo Geo CD pad. Using a Brook adapter that works fine with the Minis.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
No I sat and used my friend's system for a good 3 hours. The pads honestly feel nowhere near the build quality of the OG NeoCD pads. I'm sorry you like it but I expected way better for almost 200 damn dollars.

Tenshinhan

n00b
To be honest, it feels wrong to not have the resistance and clicks of the original pads. However, i found that I more consistently pulled off moves (I have 4 Neo Geo CD pads in very good condition to compare to). The mechanical micro-switch setup deteriorates over time. you get unevenness in input across the 4 switches. They have a satisfying feel, but the Neo Geo mini controllers should be more consistent over time. I am now kind of glad they did it this way. I don't like the button rearrangement though. Overall, it feels like a quality controller. There's unnecessary hatred towards these controllers. It makes me wonder if the people hating on them have spent a decent amount of time with them.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
I'd be more supportive of the original CD pads if they didn't have the fatal flaw of plastic shavings all over the place (from repeated use).

Destroyed at least 3 different CD pads because of that. Didn't SNK release decent ones with KOF 94 Rebout?

Jon

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member

Say what you want man but truth is what it is. Explain to me why you cannot do the button config to match what the NeoCD system had?

Let's be real here, you say I'm hating on it but on the Nintendo Switch ACA Neo games I can config the shit exactly how I want it. I still say this thing is a piece of crap for coming out in this day and age without at least something of a good UI.

Also I agree 100% the OG Neopads do have that awful defect of wearing down over a long period of time but they are easily repairable now with the right know how. Nothing lasts forever obviously but like I said before I gave this system some solid sit down and play and honestly it could have been done way better. At a price of almost 200 bucks I can spend my money elsewhere.

Last edited:

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Then spent your money elsewhere. I spent money on the Minis and they are not garbage or shit. Of course there is hatred when you post one liners with garbage & shit. ;)

Gamemaster

20 Year Member
For me the controlls ruin em. I just cant play with this thing, the way the controlls are.
I did not test the pads, but i dont expect em to be any good.
Beside that that thing has a few other flaws.
If SNK did a few things different and better this Mini would have been a hot seller. Now its just stuff that sits in the shelf. I would not recommend it for playing.
For some eye candy or game demonstration its ok. You might even use it for some diorama if you collect 1:6 figures.

I think you can build better mini consoles for that money or spend some more and get a DIY bartop https://shop.pimoroni.de/products/picade?variant=15947673239654

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
None of the Minis can replace the real deal on a CRT, but for me they are a nice addition to my AES, MVS and CD. (^_^)

gameofyou

Mr. Big's Thug
15 Year Member
None of the Minis can replace the real deal on a CRT, but for me they are a nice addition to my AES, MVS and CD. (^_^)
I agree, they are a nice addition. For the price of the current models (under $100), I feel they are worth it. At $200 for the Samurai models, that’s debatable. I’ll wait and see how much the price comes down, after they’re out a while.

Gamemaster

20 Year Member
You collect them and for that, sure buy em if you like.
I only bought one for collection myself. I still like the look but it is a lost oportunity for SNK to sell a lot hardware.
If they had clicky pads with USB working on other systems and wishfull on NG hardware, they would sell a lot of em.
Same goes for the Mini, better controls, an AES Mini, more options for the emulation or even a bartop with seimitsu hardware for more money would been much wiser.

Quality wise its far off from original SNK quality standards in the past.

The 200$ for the Samurai ones comes from the extra new Samurai game and extra stuff.
I guess SNK has to much stock and low sales, so they dish out a lot editions to get rid of the hardware.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Then spent your money elsewhere. I spent money on the Minis and they are not garbage or shit. Of course there is hatred when you post one liners with garbage & shit. ;)

Look at this guy thinking like he can tell other people what isn't good or not.

You should really base your comparison to original Neo*Geo Hardware.

It's fine if you want to blow 200 bucks on something which in this day and age should be superior to original stock system but you're going to tell me that crap is acceptable with button configurations all fucked up?

What about the screen tearing issue some people have complained about? This thing is supposed to emulate original SNK Hardware & Software and it's not even doing that 100%. The whole thing is a cheap cash grab & I'm sorry that I'm obviously not going to give you a "lemming" of a reply because my standards for SNK hardware and software is much higher then yours.

If you want to keep firing cheap insults because you can't defend what I'm saying by all means keep digging this hole you're about to fall into.

Quality wise its far off from original SNK quality standards in the past.

Fucking this 100% right here. Some of you guys just will outright buy shit if it has an SNK label on it. Many more people should have bitched about the problems this thing had before it was fully released. It honestly could have been worse but that title goes to the PlayStation Classic.

Hell if you want a more longer response I can name a few things since you seem so vehement to defend this piece of crap.

The display options are lackluster, with limited filters to play with and an image that curiously ignores pixel-perfect quality and instead opts for a choice between muddy, composite-style graphics and a smoothed-over, emulator-style appearance which imo is a shitty thing seeing as the ACA Neo games on the Nintendo Switch have way superior options.

Lack of a scanline option is also pretty crippling as well. On a scale of 1 to 10 I give it a solid 6. It could have been an 8 but the things above I mentioned cripple the shit out of this thing.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Look at this guy thinking like he can tell other people what isn't good or not.

You should really base your comparison to original Neo*Geo Hardware.

It's fine if you want to blow 200 bucks on something which in this day and age should be superior to original stock system but you're going to tell me that crap is acceptable with button configurations all fucked up?

What about the screen tearing issue some people have complained about? This thing is supposed to emulate original SNK Hardware & Software and it's not even doing that 100%. The whole thing is a cheap cash grab & I'm sorry that I'm obviously not going to give you a "lemming" of a reply because my standards for SNK hardware and software is much higher then yours.

If you want to keep firing cheap insults because you can't defend what I'm saying by all means keep digging this hole you're about to fall into.

Fucking this 100% right here. Some of you guys just will outright buy shit if it has an SNK label on it. Many more people should have bitched about the problems this thing had before it was fully released. It honestly could have been worse but that title goes to the PlayStation Classic.

You're right. How is it that they could get solid emulation with ACA titles on the Switch, PS4, XB1, but Snk the company who developed these games, can't get it right. If I want to play some Neo games on the Go, better off just using the Switch's bigger screen. Plus, I'm not a cd pad guy anyways. Much rather use the old style stick. I have to admit I almost bought one of these but now I'm glad I didn't.