List of G-Mantle appearances

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
Yeah, G-Mantle is great. I wish they would have made him a playable character in one of the fighting games, even if as a secret.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
His name was "Mr. Neo*Geo" before it was anything else.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
very cool.
think there was one or two shots that I haven't seen before.
thanks.

Praise the Lard

Sieger's Squire
Really awesome work whoever put that together! Several of those I hadn't seen before, like the KoF 98/2002 UM games. It's nice to see SNKP keeping little touches like that alive.

NeoDragoN

custom rank,
20 Year Member
Great to see him still in games like KOF XI, 98UM and 2K2UM!

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
His name was "Mr. Neo*Geo" before it was anything else.

No way.

His name has always been "ゲーマント", since the very first SNK flyer for the NeoGeo.

G-Mantle it's a bit lousy 'adaption' introduced with KOF2000 though.

ゲーマント is actually GaManteau (romanization: Geemanto).

"ゲー" is obviously from ゲーム, which is the Japanese katakana for 'game' and means properly 'videogame'. Using the first part only "ゲー" is very common in Japan, as for ゲーセン -> GaCen (romanization: Geesen), from 'GAme CENter, the Japanese most common term for 'Game Arcade'.

マント is actually a Japanese gairaigo (foregnism) term, coming from French 'Manteau' and meaning obviously 'Mantle', yes.

So G-Mantle would be more correctly GaManteau, and the pronunciation is always like Geh-man-tow.

Deuce

His name has always been "ゲーマント", since the very first SNK flyer for the NeoGeo.

Not according to the reproductions in the SNK Illustrations Mook I have from '96.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Not according to the reproductions in the SNK Illustrations Mook I have from '96.

This is from the original NEOGEO CLUB MAGAZINE, scan courtesy of Massimiliano. :)

9.png

This other is from CardFigther2

dspi7ss3.jpg

BTW, you can just cut'n'past this:

ゲーマント

in google and see what I mean.

I suggest you not to trust SNK (or any other Japanese source, even if official) about translation/transliteration of Japanese name/titles. You do not think that 'Garou Densetsu' means 'Fatal Fury', right? And I guess you also don't assumer 'Marco Rodriguez' is Japanese for 'Khushnood Butt', right? ;)

Last edited:

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
They should have thrown him into Battle Coliseum as a playable character.

Deuce

I suggest you not to trust SNK (or any other Japanese source, even if official) about translation/transliteration of Japanese name/titles.

I suggest you try to be a little less condescending in the future. Yes, I know what I'm talking about, and I know what I read.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I suggest you try to be a little less condescending in the future. Yes, I know what I'm talking about, and I know what I read.
Agreed. G-Mantle is correct, that's what SNK officially translated the name to and that is what is gonna be regardless of japanese language slang or any sort of technicallities. Garou Densetsu means something about legend of the hungry wolf or some crap like that, either way Fatal Fury is a way cooler name than legend of the hungry wolf or fever of the hungry worlf, I honestly can't remember what exactly it means.

The point is that Mr. Fantastic here thinks he's a freaking encyclopedia on a subject that's been clear to everyone for a long time.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Agreed. G-Mantle is correct, that's what SNK officially translated the name to and that is what is gonna be regardless of japanese language slang or any sort of technicallities. Garou Densetsu means something about legend of the hungry wolf or some crap like that, either way Fatal Fury is a way cooler name than legend of the hungry wolf or fever of the hungry worlf, I honestly can't remember what exactly it means.

The point is that Mr. Fantastic here thinks he's a freaking encyclopedia on a subject that's been clear to everyone for a long time.

OK. :)

If you're happy with any *freaked* names/titles the makers of a hobby you're supposed to like arranged for us westerners just out of their thinking we're not smart enough to get the more serious/meaningful/complicate original, oh well, more power to you.

This just means they were right after all in altering/freaking the original to better fit out of *western* tastes :D

As for me, when I like/love/appreciate something, I just have this idea of mine about going straight to the source. Stupid me, huh?

BTW, 'Garou Densetsu' means 'The Hungry Wolves Legend'. Just FYI, 'hungry wold' is an idiomatic concept in Japanese almost 'lone wolf' in English, basically pointing to the idea of a somaway lonesome anti-hero having be beaten hard by life, pretty much as a 'salty dog', or something like that. :)

The 'garou' are Terry, Andy and Joe, and the 'Legend' is how they got to beat Geese of course. I don't know how you manage to find such a plain and unmeaningful title such as 'FATAL FURY' cooler than this, but hey, to each his own they said.

Guess must also be hard for you to accept Samurai Shodown 5 was actually some kind of PREQUEL to the other titles in the series. :D

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
OK. :)

If you're happy with any *freaked* names/titles the makers of a hobby you're supposed to like arranged for us westerners just out of their thinking we're not smart enough to get the more serious/meaningful/complicate original, oh well, more power to you.

This just means they were right after all in altering/freaking the original to better fit out of *western* tastes :D

As for me, when I like/love/appreciate something, I just have this idea of mine about going straight to the source. Stupid me, huh?

BTW, 'Garou Densetsu' means 'The Hungry Wolves Legend'. Just FYI, 'hungry wold' is an idiomatic concept in Japanese almost 'lone wolf' in English, basically pointing to the idea of a somaway lonesome anti-hero having be beaten hard by life, pretty much as a 'salty dog', or something like that. :)

The 'garou' are Terry, Andy and Joe, and the 'Legend' is how they got to beat Geese of course. I don't know how you manage to find such a plain and unmeaningful title such as 'FATAL FURY' cooler than this, but hey, to each his own they said.

Guess must also be hard for you to accept Samurai Shodown 5 was actually some kind of PREQUEL to the other titles in the series. :D
I like Fatal Fury, there's more to it than just what you say. The story fits the name nicely and it has a nice ring to it, but apparently you don't know how to appreciate it for what it is 'cause is not the source and that's ok buddy.

Nobody called you a stupid so you don't really have to put a question where there hasn't been one, but I guess that's just your condecending nature, if I knew you I would think that could be part of some inferiority complex or something, but I don't so I'm confound as to why you need to justify your lectures.

When you come in sounding like Reed Richards talking about darwin's theory you really take the fun out of it. I much rather Fatal Fury over Salty Dog or whatever even if it has more personality to the japanese crowd.

I love SNK and I like some japanese things but damn that whole "going to the source" only makes you sound like a bitter wannabe japanese nerd, so for me personally I can settle for Fatal Fury just fine. It sounds better and it has more meaning to me 'cause of the relationship between Geese and Terry.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
I love SNK and I like some japanese things but damn that whole "going to the source" only makes you sound like a bitter wannabe japanese nerd, so for me personally I can settle for Fatal Fury just fine. It sounds better and it has more meaning to me 'cause of the relationship between Geese and Terry.

You don't get me, mate. My attitude about the originality of things is not something exclusive to Japan. I mean, I'm an Apple freak and I love Pixar movies. You bet I stick with American version for anything about those two. I.E. the Italian translation of OSX is really awful to me. They translated 'sleep' as 'stop', for the though it was 'funny' to have a computer 'sleeping'. Too bed my Mac mini power led just seems snoring when the computer is put to sleep. :)

Don't get me wrong, I did not assume anything about ay supposed "inferiority complex" of yours. By no means. Also, I guess we're on the same boat in front of Japanese hobbies, since we're both not Japanese AFAIK.

Simply, I think the enriching (and thus, fun) part in being into anything from another culture is to try and get some glimpses of that culture. In their true form. If not, I would rather just stick with Italian stuff (which I appreciate the most as long as literature and fine arts go) :)

Finally, my very first post was about the fact that the character we're discussing about was originally named 'GEEMANTO', in response of Deuce's note about his supposed "Mr.NeoGeo" name, which I've never heard of. Since I hate stating anything without proper explanation, I just cared to explain the thing. Which seems like an educated attitude to me. What I've reported are facts, both in term of linguistics and original SNK material. I wish Deuce did the same rather then shoot out one liners stating "his truth with no proof", self-stating his knowledge without providing any explanation about anything, and yet calling ME "condescending", which seems like HIS own exact attitude.

Last edited: