Daily Check: What shooters are you guys playing ATM?

Hey just finished Grind stormer but with a game genie. Boy that game is hard as hell, anyone here completed it without help like me??

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Hey just finished Grind stormer but with a game genie. Boy that game is hard as hell, anyone here completed it without help like me??

incredibly hard game. if i remember correctly, it comes to a point where the enemy ships move way to fast for you to respond.

Joe T.

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
Got ESPGaluda in the cabinet now. I am going to try to finally beat that stupid final boss.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I never beat Grindstormer; I could never get past this fucking boss:

404_473a49d61ae0e.png

I suck.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I hope I'm not spreading misinformation here but...

I'm pretty sure V-V's (which is accessible on the US genesis cart) power up system is more intuitive than grindstormer's.

Also, I'm pretty sure the port is harder than the AC original.

If you "suck", there are some measures you can take to remedy this problem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piXNApKcAo0&t=11m13s

Last edited:

@M

20 Year Member
Yeah, the Genesis version has both the Grindstormer/V-5 variations on it with the two different power-up systems. Both were workable, but I preferred the Gradius style approach.

EllertMichael

Mickey's Coach
If you "suck", there are some measures you can take to remedy this problem

SMznXUr.jpg

More like: "Good Stuff 'CHEAT'!" :keke:

@M

20 Year Member
I still have my Genesis Grindstormer cartridge, but I didn't feel like digging through a bunch of cardboard boxes to find it, so I fired up the ROM last night instead. Damn, that game is even harder than I remember! It took many tries, but I got to, and beat, that third boss, but, I had to resort to using save states to accomplish it, so I didn't do it legitimately. Frankly, I'm impressed younger me ever made it that far without cheating. I've completed a lot of shooters over the years, but Grindstormer/V-5 is definitely beyond my abilities.

I can only say that you're better than me. Without game genie, I am only able to barely barely pass the second boss. Just thinking someone going further than that is awesome IMO!!^_^

I still have my Genesis Grindstormer cartridge, but I didn't feel like digging through a bunch of cardboard boxes to find it, so I fired up the ROM last night instead. Damn, that game is even harder than I remember! It took many tries, but I got to, and beat, that third boss, but, I had to resort to using save states to accomplish it, so I didn't do it legitimately. Frankly, I'm impressed younger me ever made it that far without cheating. I've completed a lot of shooters over the years, but Grindstormer/V-5 is definitely beyond my abilities.

@M

20 Year Member
Are these the Game Genie codes you're using? I have a supposedly complete HTML directory of Sega Genesis Game Genie codes saved on my hard drive, but, when I checked, there wasn't an entry for Grind Stormer, so, I just looked on Google and these are what I found:

Game Genie
Enable debug mode settings in the Training selection in options
RE3A-A60N
AE3A-A2GW
AT3A-AAGY
AJ3A-A480
JE3A-AE02

Note: During gameplay, pressing C skips to the next stage. While paused, press right to modify ship, press left to modify speed, press up to increase progress in stage, and press down to decrease progress in stage. Use controller 2 buttons A and B to add points.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I've completed a lot of shooters over the years, but Grindstormer/V-5 is definitely beyond my abilities.

You can't expect to just like be good right off the bat. You must learn the game and you are clearly unwilling. Which is fine...but it remains to be seen whether or not the game is "beyond" your abilities.

Finally got a clear on Futari 1.5
Also hit 2-5 on DDPDOJBL

Awesome on the futari 1.5 clear

It took me a really long time myself, I happened to clear it november of last year.

Stage 3 messed me up...for a long time.

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
I've been out of the shoot em up game for a long time but starting to get back into it. Cleared a bunch of Cave crap in the last 2 months, mostly just 1-ALL scrub clears with no scoring but whatever, I'm enjoying it:

DonPachi (Type A)
DoDonPachi (Type C)
DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu 1.5 (Type B)
Mushihimesama (Original)
Deathsmiles (Rose)
Ketsui (Tiger)

Will take a Cave break and finally clear arcade Raiden 1 (I've done it before but I want a run without the damn MAME glitches showing up).

After that, I'm probably going to go at Progear, another game I've wanted to clear for a long time.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
You can't expect to just like be good right off the bat. You must learn the game and you are clearly unwilling. Which is fine...but it remains to be seen whether or not the game is "beyond" your abilities.

Awesome on the futari 1.5 clear

It took me a really long time myself, I happened to clear it november of last year.

Stage 3 messed me up...for a long time.

Thanks ASID! Yea stage 3 gave me huge problems as well, the pill bugs with the spread and the pill bugs rolling downwards spitting out the bullets was giving me issues for awhile.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Thanks ASID! Yea stage 3 gave me huge problems as well, the pill bugs with the spread and the pill bugs rolling downwards spitting out the bullets was giving me issues for awhile.

Nice clear KP!

Working on futari 1.5 myself right now, and yeah the second half of stage 3 is when I start to fall apart. I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of playing more to memorize the route better, but the spread easily traps me.

Took some time this weekend to try something new, Gun Nac. This game is so generous with extends I think I ended with about 15 lives left. Overall a fun 8-bit shooter.

a971506441ecfe0ed9bb8f4612427279.jpg

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Eh... Galaga. With some questions unanswered. Does it have rank? What are the differences between PS1 & arcade? Got to overcome the sloth and do a proper research. Damn.

@M

20 Year Member
@andsuchisdeath: It's not so much that I'm unwilling, I'm just being honest with myself. Just like the original NES Battletoads, I know that I'm never going to beat Grind Stormer without cheating, no matter how much I practice. Granted, I didn't put much effort in the other day, but I did invest many hours in the game, when I first bought Grind Stormer, back in the nineties--the difficulty was just too much for me then and it still is now. Could I get better at it with more dedication? Maybe, but it's just not worth the aggravation to me when there are so many other more manageable shooters out there I could be playing instead.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
For the past week, I've been enjoying Raycrisis on the G-Net. A friend of mine owned the PlayStation version, and I'd borrow it sometimes. I really liked it back then, and was able to do a 1CC, no miss. Apparently, that was a long time ago. Now I can't get to the third stage on one continue. I'm not sure if the difficulty is higher, or it's just me being older. I'll keep trying, though. I'll get there. I don't have to count my coins or give the disc back.

Igakajook

Armored Scrum Object
R-type - master system. I like coming back to this one. Took me a while to get into it when I first got it, but it feels like a classic to me now.

@M

20 Year Member
Yep, the Master System port of R-type is pretty sweet. I presume you know about the extra secret level?