NEOSD AES Support thread !

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Is the cart properly seated? having a screen with just text looks like some pin is not making proper contact in the cart connector. If that happens, you can try moving the cart a bit and see if the graphics appear.

I'll give it a go and see - thx

edit: nope, cleaned cart and slot has been cleaned recently - slightly wiggled cart during intro to no avail.

More weirdness: Breakers revenge resets the system in the middle of intro. :( If i attempt to skip to game, garbled pixels and no players sprites.

Edit: making sure all modes are set to AES and "BIOS" seems to be helping the Kizuna issue. Breakers still has no player sprites though...so confused

All games I played the hell out of just fine before updating FW

So, question: Is there any reason changing the region should cause this much problems? I've set region, etc. all to BIOS and now things seem to work as normal. But I distintly remember setting my Jpn system to US region just fine and playing a ton with no probs. Now if I deviate from anything other than "BIOS" in the settings I am getting all kinds of weirdness and errors. Still seeing some glitches but way less.

Last edited:

ubersaurus

n00b
I noticed on mine playing some Samurai Shodown Special that when the camera zooms out the character sprites get funky looking - like not every part is zooming out properly on them, vertically. I tried it with the unfixed AES rom and the MVS rom, tried a few different regions on the unibios, still happens. Any insight into the problem? Same issue is coming up on Samurai 3 when I tested it, but since I have that cart for real and it doesn't do it, gotta be a Neo SD issue somewhere.

AES serial is 211165, it's using unibios 2.3.

Last edited:

neodev

Neosd Tech
I noticed on mine playing some Samurai Shodown Special that when the camera zooms out the character sprites get funky looking - like not every part is zooming out properly on them, vertically. I tried it with the unfixed AES rom and the MVS rom, tried a few different regions on the unibios, still happens. Any insight into the problem? Same issue is coming up on Samurai 3 when I tested it, but since I have that cart for real and it doesn't do it, gotta be a Neo SD issue somewhere.

AES serial is 211165, it's using unibios 2.3.

Do you have a video showing it the right and wrong ways? Maybe there is some unknown quirk in the sprite decoder that makes it generate wrong data in some cases. Does it happen in both players or only if they are facing a specific direction?

neodev

Neosd Tech
I'll give it a go and see - thx

edit: nope, cleaned cart and slot has been cleaned recently - slightly wiggled cart during intro to no avail.

More weirdness: Breakers revenge resets the system in the middle of intro. :( If i attempt to skip to game, garbled pixels and no players sprites.

Edit: making sure all modes are set to AES and "BIOS" seems to be helping the Kizuna issue. Breakers still has no player sprites though...so confused

All games I played the hell out of just fine before updating FW

So, question: Is there any reason changing the region should cause this much problems? I've set region, etc. all to BIOS and now things seem to work as normal. But I distintly remember setting my Jpn system to US region just fine and playing a ton with no probs. Now if I deviate from anything other than "BIOS" in the settings I am getting all kinds of weirdness and errors. Still seeing some glitches but way less.

Try disabling the backup ram feature in the options menu, also try setting to cartridge mode and taking the SD out to disable all neosd features and run as a plain original cart.

ubersaurus

n00b
Do you have a video showing it the right and wrong ways? Maybe there is some unknown quirk in the sprite decoder that makes it generate wrong data in some cases. Does it happen in both players or only if they are facing a specific direction?

I'll grab some direct capture after work today. It seemed to be happening to both characters as the camera zooms out, regardless of which way they were facing. Now that I'm thinking about it, none of the other games I played on there (Mr. Do, MOTW, KOF 2001) had the camera zooming in and out and they all looked fine - wonder if it's connected to that.

neodev

Neosd Tech
I'll grab some direct capture after work today. It seemed to be happening to both characters as the camera zooms out, regardless of which way they were facing. Now that I'm thinking about it, none of the other games I played on there (Mr. Do, MOTW, KOF 2001) had the camera zooming in and out and they all looked fine - wonder if it's connected to that.

I recall having read that some MVS/AES converters have zooming issues, so we had some people that have used them an noticed the issues test the cart till there were no issues, but maybe there is any still left. There were some unknown behaviour in the sprite decoder, like what happens if the control signals change in the middle of a block, of if the data is not reloaded after shifting out all the data.

pinkstone

n00b
I recall having read that some MVS/AES converters have zooming issues, so we had some people that have used them an noticed the issues test the cart till there were no issues, but maybe there is any still left. There were some unknown behaviour in the sprite decoder, like what happens if the control signals change in the middle of a block, of if the data is not reloaded after shifting out all the data.

Hi, I think I have this issue with Super Sidekicks 2,3,4 and Neo Geo Cup '98 only. The players has vertical lines and the rest of the game screen is fine. I tested Ultimate 11 with a Phantom 1 and the players are ok. I linked a SS3 screen in the Neosd support page two days ago and described this problem.
It´s a really great product.
Thanks!

ubersaurus

n00b

Here's the video for Samurai Shodown III: https://youtu.be/dKroDrYjCVo
And Samurai Shodown Special, which seems more prominent: https://youtu.be/tn1kg0kIzoA

It's not like the original is super pretty or anything zoomed out, but it looks noticeably worse on the SD cart version. I really noticed on the Samurai Special one just because I was playing the PS4 release of it a week ago.

neodev

Neosd Tech
And here is the pic of the SS3:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8THfuszPYBiWHlFekxrRXl3aEU/view?usp=sharing
When the players moves it worse.
I´m using a Unibios 3.3 and the AES serial is 211073, board 3-5.

It also happen in Samurai Shodown Special at the beggining of the battle when the zooming take place.

Ok, I see the pictures and video.

I've seen that while developing the neosd AES cart. I'll investigate and fix it. It might take a while as we need to test it with all other boards

Sunken

n00b
For the graphic glitches, it seems to be a power supply issue. What are the models used (original or third party)?

ubersaurus

n00b
Ok, I see the pictures and video.

I've seen that while developing the neosd AES cart. I'll investigate and fix it. It might take a while as we need to test it with all other boards

Thanks, I appreciate it! Great cart, I'm really happy with it.

As for my power supply, I'm using the original one that came with the system.

ubersaurus

n00b
By the way, I've been trying to register my NeoSD unit on the website but it isn't accepting my serial number. Got it from SAG at the end of September.

pva

Mega Shock!!
By the way, I've been trying to register my NeoSD unit on the website but it isn't accepting my serial number. Got it from SAG at the end of September.

Have you tried emailing the NeoSD team at contact at neosdstore.com? (The address is listed on their FAQ page.) I had the same problem, and they sorted me out within a few hours. While I bought my cart from them directly, I shouldn't think buying from SAG should be a problem since you have a valid serial number.

Ricard350

n00b
I dont know if it was already asked,
For the developer, I want to know if we can still create a profile on neosdstore.com to download software/firmware updates when purchasing our NeoSD from Stoneage gamer....
Thanks

madLEGOman

n00b
full disclosure: I am a noob, I am extremely dumb. I am also lazy to read through 34 pages of this thread, though i have read through probably half of that.
picked up one of these things a little while back. works pretty dang awesome, but i still feel like i'm missing a bit. after a google search, found some "thingies" for it from that bird site. 188 of those thingies were converted to a .neo format, but some of those are bootlegs (like 3 versions of that crouching tiger game). i know people have mentioned 259 thingies, but does that include bootlegs? wondering just how many thingies i am missing out on. can't seem to access the chat room here. downloaded some flashchat thing, but didn't seem to make any difference.

on a side note, the neo builder tool seemed to have a fixed window size. for me it cropped a fair amount of the window off. i was however able to tab through the buttons and hit enter to work around that problem.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
full disclosure: I am a noob, I am extremely dumb. I am also lazy to read through 34 pages of this thread, though i have read through probably half of that.
picked up one of these things a little while back. works pretty dang awesome, but i still feel like i'm missing a bit. after a google search, found some "thingies" for it from that bird site. 188 of those thingies were converted to a .neo format, but some of those are bootlegs (like 3 versions of that crouching tiger game). i know people have mentioned 259 thingies, but does that include bootlegs? wondering just how many thingies i am missing out on. can't seem to access the chat room here. downloaded some flashchat thing, but didn't seem to make any difference.

on a side note, the neo builder tool seemed to have a fixed window size. for me it cropped a fair amount of the window off. i was however able to tab through the buttons and hit enter to work around that problem.

Post 44...

That is ALL you need to know n00b...

Hello I ordered the neosd aes version and I was wondering if it would work with my Neo Geo AES home console because I have installed the Unibios.

Ricard350

n00b
I've encountered a small graphical issue that presents itself inconsistently. Almost looks like static, with single pixels flashing randomly. This is unscientific, but I think it's more prevalent with bigger games. I've recorded a brief video showing this glitch:

I've never spotted before this with my cartridges, so I'm thinking it's either from the NeoSD or the combo of my setup + NeoSD. This is what I'm running:

Neo Geo AES 3-5
SEGA SA-160A power supply (Mega Drive)
NeoSD 1.05

Any thoughts? Apologies if it's been addressed before, I wasn't able to find anything here other than a passing mention of a similar sounding issue by member FikNaldo in the official news thread (he described a small issue with 'speckles').

I just received my NEOSD from Stone Age Gamer and I noticed that same random static when I was using it (Metal Slug) in this case.
Upon reset everthing was perfect.
I was trying to reproduce the glitch (basic troubleshooting 101 --- trying to recreate the problem) and it seems to happen very rarely about 10% of the time.
Last time it happened I recalled the Overlay menu and relaunched the game (instead of hard reset or cycling on/off) and it was back to performing flawlessly.
It just seems that it might be finicky who knows.

Based on my personal experience working on F18s, I really do believe sometime electronics can have a mind of their own like just having a random glitch, cycle power and back to normal life. Many time I had to tell pilots to cycle generator on/off and then error codes were clearing.

I know that trying to fix a "potential issue" that is super duper hard to recreate is soo freakin hard to fix.

Like a couple of post after Gyrian fist talked about this, Mr. Razoola mentioned that I could just be a small timming issues between chips in the cart that could happen when launching a game and it seems that just resetting fixes it, because when launching a game from the menu the cart looks like its soft resetting itself.

It has the latest firmware 1.06. And my AES is a model board 3-5 and im using a Sega CD AC adapter P/N 1602-1 Output 10v 1.2A
I have 1 genuine cart (fatalfury special) and it never showed this static.

Im just reporting it because the DEV team have suggested that the new firmware 1.06 might have have fixed it and first time someone reported that "issue" it was under firmware 1.05.
Just for them so they can keep track of it...

Thanks
BTW I am a VERY satisfied customer!!!

Last edited: