Xp computer connection issues with att

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
Long story short I use a Dell e310 as my fightcade computer. Runs all the games besides 3s perfectly. Before I was using comcast no issue at all. Last night was my first time to plug up my computer at the new place. It keeps telling me that I'm getting little to no Internet and I can't connect. Tried resetting router , clearing dns and checked my setting. Anyone else come across this issue before? Wanna get some fightcade going today

Edit- I can connect the same cable to a windows 7 dell laptop and get Internet

Last edited:

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
Try to reboot/reset your router, depending if it's a combo or not. Have you disabled and re-enabled the adapter for that specific NIC card? Fire wall?

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
If its an xp machine. Run winsock fix on it. Google it.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
I tried those things including the winsock fix and commands.
When i right click on the local connection and click repair it tries to renew the ip address but throws a error and says it cant renew.

thanks for the suggestions so far. This is frustrating AF

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
I tried those things including the winsock fix and commands.
When i right click on the local connection and click repair it tries to renew the ip address but throws a error and says it cant renew.

thanks for the suggestions so far. This is frustrating AF

Can you do a full reset on your router?

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Can you do a full reset on your router?

I would also suggest trying to assign a fixed IP to the PC and see if things work that way. There are some routers that have picky DHCP servers and will not work fine with some machines. It happens, no idea why.

Regards.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
This will sound odd but if the router is happy with your win 7 laptop, write down the ethernet cards MAC address, and spoof that on the PC you're having trouble with. The router will think you plugged the same PC back in (just don't plug them both in at once with the same MAC set).

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
I would also suggest trying to assign a fixed IP to the PC and see if things work that way. There are some routers that have picky DHCP servers and will not work fine with some machines. It happens, no idea why.

Regards.
Yeah, I have some more time so I'll mess around with that, this was gonna be my next step.

This will sound odd but if the router is happy with your win 7 laptop, write down the ethernet cards MAC address, and spoof that on the PC you're having trouble with. The router will think you plugged the same PC back in (just don't plug them both in at once with the same MAC set).

That's actually worth a shot if assigning a static ip address doesn't work. If the 7 Laptop Tries to connect via wifi while I have the xp with duplicate mac is plugged in will it cause a error. I assume the mac is the same whether hard or wireless connected?

Thanks guys

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
The wireless adapter will have it's own MAC. No worries there.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
are you trying to connect wireless?

Have you tried changing your encryption type on your router? I'm not sure if XP supports AES encryption. Although I haven't used XP in awhile, it may.

If you are going wireless, try plugging in an ethernet cable?

Possible your network card may be going bad. Try disabling it in the device manager, and restarting your PC.

maybe read over this.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/826942

Last edited:

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
Im trying to do a wired connection.

So after assigning it static ip. When i check the status of the connection it says its connected and everything looks good. But when i try to go online with a browser it says it cant find the site to try again. And the icon isnt popping up saying i have little or no connection. Is there a setting i need to change? The connection speed and all that looks normal. Its weird. I havent tried the mac address thing yet.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member

So after assigning it static ip. When i check the status of the connection it says its connected and everything looks good. But when i try to go online with a browser it says it cant find the site to try again. And the icon isnt popping up saying i have little or no connection. Is there a setting i need to change? The connection speed and all that looks normal. Its weird. I havent tried the mac address thing yet.

Might sound kind of extreme, but if i spend too much time on a pc issue i just format the damn thing and go from there. I would also post somewhere like vogons before formatting.

At least if you restore your pc and update windows with no avail then at least youre working with a clean slate.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member

Try to ping 8.8.8.8 from the command prompt.

If that works and you get a response, go into your TCP/IP settings in Windows and set 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as your DNS servers.

Then try pinging google.com and if it resolves to an address and gets a response, you should be good to go.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
no luck, had to take a break from this thing was pissing me off. Here is something that i noticed when i have the dhcp set to automatic and right click the connection and hit repair connection it will think for a long time then say it can not renew the ip address. But when i assign it a ip address and hit repair it says success.
With either of those two settings i cannot access the router for advanced setting by typing in the ip address of the router on the browser.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
FIXED!!! A buddy of mine help out. Did some tests to determine that the Network adapter was good. Then removing and reinstalling the network adapter and downloading current drivers for it. Working like a charm not, using it right now lol.
Fighcade

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
FIXED!!! A buddy of mine help out. Did some tests to determine that the Network adapter was good. Then removing and reinstalling the network adapter and downloading current drivers for it. Working like a charm not, using it right now lol.
Fighcade

Awesome!

Did you actually have to remove the adapter, or uninstall it in the device manager like I mentioned earlier?

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
i uninstalled it and reinstalled it but i found the real culprit, the damn cable. It worked but not properly, i did a speed test on a laptop using the hardwire and it was getting like 9mbps on the dl!!!! Using a roomates cable for now until i order a new on online. I almost went grey haired then bald from this damn thing haha. Damn, should of done a speed test with the cable to begin with fml!!!

Thanks everyone, next time i have network issues im def going to fully test the cable