Coreykun667's 4 Slot Restoration

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
It's been quite some time since I picked up my cabinet back in January 2014. It's been in storage for about a year now since I was kinda floating from place to place, but tomorrow this baby's coming out of storage. Gonna haul it up to Sonora to get it taken care of by a guy I've known for a while. Gonna get a tube rejuve and the board recapped.

When more money comes along, the controls are next. Gonna go with Sanwa JLW sticks and IL concave pushbuttons with the 75g cherry microswitches. Also going to replace the CPO and get the CP powdercoated a semigloss black. For those who don't quite remember, this is what the cab looked like when I first got it, and not much has changed since then:

1186685_719693744710408_2005517250_n.jpg

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
Well, got the monitor rejuved, found out the monitor is a Zenith. Also the flyback is cracked. The monitor looks a hell of a lot better than it did before. Also found out the previous owners soldered some of the wires to some buttons and one of the sticks... :mad_2:

Nice brutha. Where in California are you located? I am in Manteca.

I live in downtown Modesto. Took it up to a guy I know in Sonora!

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I remember my 4 slot big red, Good Times. Good luck on Restoring her Corey. I had alot of fun restoring mine.

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
I remember my 4 slot big red, Good Times. Good luck on Restoring her Corey. I had alot of fun restoring mine.

Thanks man! After taking her out of storage, I realized that the CP rusted a bit more, probably due to the weird storage unit it was in. Seemed like a lot of moisture got in there. Mold started growing on the side of the cab. It's now in my main storage unit where it should be protected from the elements a bit better before I put it in my apartment.

On a side note, caster wheels would be EXTREMELY useful. The Tekken 3 Z-back I got last year had decent casters and moved so smoothly. The Big Red was an absolute pain to move.

acblunden2

Rugal's Thug
Is the bezel in tact on your cab? Mind taking it out and snapping some nice photos of it? I need to figure out what bezel to use for my cab.

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
Is the bezel in tact on your cab? Mind taking it out and snapping some nice photos of it? I need to figure out what bezel to use for my cab.

I'll take a look at it for ya when I get my cab out again! It shouldn't be too long before the board gets recapped and I have the guy pop it back in. I might go back to my storage to work on getting the control panel off eventually. Never really realized just how rusty it was. A good powdercoating job is definitely needed.

I need to clip the wires that the previous owners soldered though. I have to wonder what possessed the PO to solder the wires onto some of the switches rather than just using the crimp-on wire disconnects... Wouldn't it have been easier?

acblunden2

Rugal's Thug
I'll take a look at it for ya when I get my cab out again! It shouldn't be too long before the board gets recapped and I have the guy pop it back in. I might go back to my storage to work on getting the control panel off eventually. Never really realized just how rusty it was. A good powdercoating job is definitely needed.

Thanks man! Maybe I can come check out your stuff someday. Here is what I got so far: http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/User:Acblunden2

I need to clip the wires that the previous owners soldered though. I have to wonder what possessed the PO to solder the wires onto some of the switches rather than just using the crimp-on wire disconnects... Wouldn't it have been easier?

Probably was the original owner's doing. And that original owner was probably an operator that worked a big geographical route where he didn't own the site locations and didn't have personnel on site trained to address game malfunctions. He probably had to maintain all of his machines on his route himself. So he soldered the connections to prevent failure. Probably your cab was one at the end of his route that he didn't frequent much. Probably worked well for when the crimp connector would come loose. But man, must've sucked of the cherry switched failed or was gummed up.

Having been in this arcade hobby for the past 2 years, I have talked to a lot of these former operators. Some were in Reno with machines throughout California! I heard a lot of their gripes, from site partners stealing revenue to vandalism. Was a tough business even in its heyday.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Well, got the monitor rejuved, found out the monitor is a Zenith. Also the flyback is cracked. The monitor looks a hell of a lot better than it did before. Also found out the previous owners soldered some of the wires to some buttons and one of the sticks.

You'd be surprised how common that is. Good luck on the restoration and keep us posted with the progress.

drmadd220

n00b

I noticed a similar thing on my Big Red I am starting to restore. Someone soldered some of the connections on the coin slot mechanisms instead of putting a crimp wire disconnect back on. Just something else to fix.

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
You'd be surprised how common that is. Good luck on the restoration and keep us posted with the progress.

I noticed a similar thing on my Big Red I am starting to restore. Someone soldered some of the connections on the coin slot mechanisms instead of putting a crimp wire disconnect back on. Just something else to fix.

I'm just glad it isn't like the Tekken 3 Z-back that my brother bought from me where they soldered ALL of the connections. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. Guess it's good if you want a more permanent solution, buuuuuut...