Finished Custom Joysticks

Finch

Hardened Shock Trooper
10 Year Member
Been working on these for months now, getting parts and getting access to tools to build them and they are FINALLY done.

Details

2 identical sticks
Metal enclosures with walnut sides
Sanwa JLF sticks
Sanwa 30mm snap in buttons
Toodles Cthulhu boards for PC/PS3
15pin port for Neo Geo/Supergun

They took forever, and cost too much, but oh so worth it.

Big thanks to all who answered all my questions about these while I was working on them.

4406617221_514b624b8b_o.png

4407382906_9713f9d826_o.png

4406617451_f75c34de26_o.png

4406617549_d555def0df_o.png

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
Wow, nice work. It definitely looks like you spent quite a bit of time on those. I really like the look of the walnut sides.

Jasen Hicks

Hardened Shock Trooper
Great job! I am definately tagging this thread to model my Joys off of when I build my supergun. Awesome meticulous work.

Did you design the overlay? How did you print it?

$50 per enclosure, a bit much but well worth it!

Last edited:

Finch

Hardened Shock Trooper
10 Year Member
Great job! I am definately tagging this thread to model my Joys off of when I build my supergun. Awesome meticulous work.

Did you design the overlay? How did you print it?

$50 per enclosure, a bit much but well worth it!

I struggled a long time before clicking the buy button on those cases. They are really pricey but I couldn't find an alternative I liked as much, and I didn't have access to a metal shop to build them (they aren't that complex)

I did design the overlay. I got templates from Slagcoin.com. The one I used is the "Standard Japanese Arcade" layout. The art I made in Photoshop. I recreated the Neo Geo panel designs and made Vector versions of the "Neo Geo SNK Multi Video System" logo in Photoshop based on pictures of cabinets I found on google.

It's printed on some amazing quality matte photo paper by a friend of mine who owns a print shop. It's ok as matte because it has plexiglass over it which gives it a good shine. The paper and printer he used is incredible. The original file was 300dpi and the text is super sharp. Its actually more vivid in person than in pictures.

This is the art I made for the panel. Re sized down a ton of course. If you or anybody else is interested in it I could email it to them as either a jpg/tiff for printing, or PSD if you want to edit the layout or just steal the Neo Geo logo vectors.

This is what I actually printed (except way bigger)
4406800389_805cf2585a_o.png

This is the layout with all the button and joystick placeholders
4406800429_c170ac1af4_o.png

themisterfalcon

Buriki-One Fight Promoter
15 Year Member
Wow. Best looking Big Red theme sticks I have ever seen.

Beats the shit out MAS sticks too. Amazing work!

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
They look great:buttrock:

Very nice work!

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Nice looking sticks bro. Probably the sweetest neo sticks I've seen thus far. The cases were expensive but definitely worth it. Good job.

Cavalry

INfintido Innuendo?,
Those look magnificent. From all the sticks i've ever seen (meaning the buttloads on SRK) those sticks are probably the coolest ones i've seen ever.

BobbyPeru

Man of Letters
I wouldn't have made two.

There's no way I would let my scummy friends touch one anyway.

Finch

Hardened Shock Trooper
10 Year Member
I figured it would be unfair to my non-scummy friends if there was only one stick. Would have saved a lot of money though.

As for the scummy ones, they don't know they exist ;-)

I wouldn't have made two.

There's no way I would let my scummy friends touch one anyway.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Is the second row a set of turbo buttons?

arfink

Crossed Swords Squire
Very nice work. I bet they're really solid. From looking in the enclosure, do you think there would be room for an LS-32 inside? It's honestly my favorite stick ever, and I'd like to use a similar enclosure and make my own wood sides. :)

EDIT: got pics of the insides? Please? :)

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
Those are real slick, nice job!

Finch

Hardened Shock Trooper
10 Year Member
Is the second row a set of turbo buttons?

nope, as Dio Brando pointed out they are for us on a PC and PS3. The Neo Geo port on the back is only wired to the top 4 colored buttons, start, select and the stick. The additional 4 buttons are used when I use it for SF4 or emulators and stuff through USB.

I'd like to add some turbo functionality somehow though, not sure how yet.