Windows 10 Install?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
So my SSD crapped out on me today. I ordered a new one from amazon. I went from Win7 to 10 previously and want to know if I could download Win10 on a disc or USB and install it directly without having to install WIN7 again and upgrade to 10.

I still have my original WIN7 disc and serial number. Don't want to pay for Win10 if I don't have to.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I had the same issue with my SSD. Unfortunately my Windows 7 key was entombed when the SSD shat itself.

I ended up buying Windows 10 Pro.

I realise that doesn't help you.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
If you already upgraded to Win 10 with the 7 key, as long as you have the key, it shouldn't be a problem with DL'ing win 10 and installing it.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Dam, that sucks. So I have to go through the ridiculous process of Installing Win7 and upgrading to 10 again? Shit.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
If you already upgraded to Win 10 with the 7 key, as long as you have the key, it shouldn't be a problem with DL'ing win 10 and installing it.

This is good news bro. Hopefully you are right. I was researching on google and someone said if you activated windows on that same computer, it supposedly remembers your motherboard serial number.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Dam, that sucks. So I have to go through the ridiculous process of Installing Win7 and upgrading to 10 again? Shit.

Not according to what Kid Panda posted above you. He's a fucken Chinese kid, so he's probably good with the computers.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
KP is right. If you went thru and accepted the Win10 upgrade during the promotional window. Your win10 key is tied to the cpu/mobo/win7 key hash like an OEM key. You can install Win10 directly from cd and type in your win 7 key and it will activate. You can choose to enter your Win7 key at the time of installation or select "skip" when installing from a Win10 cd. Upon getting internet access, the activation attempt will be successful based on the cpu/mobo hash.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Thanks guys. I'll update this thread when I install Win10 to the SSD.

TotalMoop

New Challenger
If you have successfully upgraded to Windows 10 previously then you can simply install Windows 10 directly as long as you have the Key. If you have the Key, during the install it asks for your key, skip this and wait until the install is complete. Then Activate Windows using your key. If you dont have the Key and it's an OEM machine (HP, Dell etc..) then you will need the OEM install media and it will pull the Key from the bios upon install. Then you can do the upgrade again. Use a Key extractor and make a note in a safe place.

BTW, you can STILL upgrade to Windows 10.. Just google.. "Accessible Windows 10" ;)

buaku

Hardened Shock Trooper
I swear when I did it to my parents computers I didn't need to enter a key the second time.
I upgraded from 7 to 10. Swapped out the hard drive for an SSD, installed win10 from the image from the MS site and it automagically activated itself.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Just a quick update guys. Just like The Panda said, using the Win7 Key worked fine. Thanks for everyone's help.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I'm surprised home let you upgrade, nice.

Yea, when you install win10 through DVD or usb and enter the cd key it automatically detects the OS. If you skip entering your cd key you have to choose the OS you want to Install Win10 Home or Pro.

Grendell

Morden's Lackey
You should never have to use the key again if you had win10 already installed and activated on your system be it a upgrade from 7 or not , just swap the Ssd install your os go online an activate ... done ( sometimes it takes a little time )

If it's possible bevor all this go and get this little tool from Microsoft "MediaCreationTool" , follow its instructions point for point it will create a working bootstick or DVD for you ( you need a working inet. Connection ) USB would be the best , if you have usb3 its realy fast

if you have a new pc ther would be some other thinks to take care of befor like what to use bios or uefi .... but if you don't care anything is fine

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I am still on WinXP or Win7 (can't remember which) and only on an old laptop which I have to use with the EPROM writer. For everything else I use Fedora Linux. Works perfect for me.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
You should never have to use the key again if you had win10 already installed and activated on your system be it a upgrade from 7 or not , just swap the Ssd install your os go online an activate ... done ( sometimes it takes a little time )

If it's possible bevor all this go and get this little tool from Microsoft "MediaCreationTool" , follow its instructions point for point it will create a working bootstick or DVD for you ( you need a working inet. Connection ) USB would be the best , if you have usb3 its realy fast

if you have a new pc ther would be some other thinks to take care of befor like what to use bios or uefi .... but if you don't care anything is fine

I did use the mediacreationtool. Installed via USB but it still asked me for a cd key so I put it in. It activated automatically once I signed into windows

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Yeah I did this, I don't think I even had to type in the code.
I've also been able to install my previous windows install discs that I upgraded on other computers and gotten them to authenticate.