Jamma dreamcast box

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
So I tried this project several years ago and failed hard. I only got the controls working. I want to attempt this again and hopefully get it working.

I want to make a jamma dreamcast box that takes the extra 3 buttons and use them with a cps2/3 kick harness.

Now that jammaboards.com is closed, where can I get a easy to use fingerboard? Also, the connector for the kick harness, where can I get that? I have read a few guides and it states that even if I hack up a dreamcast scart cable, I still need an audio amp. Will this one work?
http://www.hollandcomputers.com/sto...de-Machine-Amplifier-Single-Channel-p6247.htm

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
So I tried this project several years ago and failed hard. I only got the controls working. I want to attempt this again and hopefully get it working.

I want to make a jamma dreamcast box that takes the extra 3 buttons and use them with a cps2/3 kick harness.

Now that jammaboards.com is closed, where can I get a easy to use fingerboard? Also, the connector for the kick harness, where can I get that? I have read a few guides and it states that even if I hack up a dreamcast scart cable, I still need an audio amp. Will this one work?
http://www.hollandcomputers.com/sto...de-Machine-Amplifier-Single-Channel-p6247.htm
That amp should do you just fine. I've noticed video issues if you use one powered by 5v so this is just fine.

As for the edge situation, I'm in the same boat. I've got something in the works, but in the meantime, using a JAMMA fingerboard and a socket will have to do.

And don't hack up a SCART cable. Get a SCART socket from eBay and mount it on the side of whatever box you're using.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
That amp should do you just fine. I've noticed video issues if you use one powered by 5v so this is just fine.

As for the edge situation, I'm in the same boat. I've got something in the works, but in the meantime, using a JAMMA fingerboard and a socket will have to do.

And don't hack up a SCART cable. Get a SCART socket from eBay and mount it on the side of whatever box you're using.
Hold up- so I don't have to hack up a scart cable? I can just plug it into the socket and wire from the socket to the fingerboard? If so, that's awesome.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
man, ive wanted one of these for awhile. Want something i can use to hook up my ps2/ps3/dc to my big red.
good luck, seems like alot of work.

Lemony Vengeance

Hold up- so I don't have to hack up a scart cable? I can just plug it into the socket and wire from the socket to the fingerboard? If so, that's awesome.

You're going to need an RGB amp of some type or else your video will be Dim

Lemony Vengeance

man, ive wanted one of these for awhile. Want something i can use to hook up my ps2/ps3/dc to my big red.

I still make these on the regular, but since radiantsvgun wants to make his own, I'm happy with giving advice:)

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member

Thanks man- PS2 jamma box is actually something that would work perfectly. The timer boards have an awful jamma setup with buttons wired all over the place. I've got a modded ps2 and lots of verts so it would be ideal really.

I still make these on the regular, but since radiantsvgun wants to make his own, I'm happy with giving advice:)

I didn't know anyone still made these on a regular basis. I'd still like to get all the parts and give it a try, but if I can't get it going- would you be able to finish it for me? (I'd pay you of course.)

Lemony Vengeance

Only if you get stuck. I'm seriously cool with helping you out so if you do get stuck, we'll work something out:D

Lemony Vengeance

nope, but that particular part would be best used to convert one game to work in a jamma cabinet.

I typically use 22 AWG wire in the things I make. Voltage could stand to be 20-18 AWG, but since the length isn't very long you should be ok.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Which controllers are best to hack up? I had problems with the 1st party one. I've heard the astropad or the madcatz are easier.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
i know madcatz are pretty easy to hack up, only problem is they all arent common ground. its a gamble

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Worked on this some today. I've decided to use the 15k VGA box hack, and that didn't go so well. I've got it to output 15k, but I couldn't get the switch installed. Didn't realize that my iron's tip needed to be replaced until I started. I'll have a new iron and most of the parts on monday, so hopefully I can get more work done monday night.

Edit- I am going to try to get video working first. Now that the vga box outputs 15k, I was planning on using a vga breakout cable and using the rgb and sync from that to the fingerboard. Also, using the vga box method, how do I wire in the sound to the amp? I see where it has speaker + and -.

Last edited:

Pingu

Hardened Shock Trooper
This is what I use when I connect my Dreamcast to my Atomiswave cabinet:
[tIMG]http://i.imgur.com/RfA4zYQ.jpg[/tIMG]
Threeway switch, comp/s-video 15KHz RGB 32KHz RGB.
I'm lucky though since I don't need to go through the fingerboard and that the monitor can handle different voltage levels on the input automatically.

Attachments

• RfA4zYQ.jpg
    RfA4zYQ.jpg
    822.3 KB · Views: 57