CRT Fetish Thread

mr.2jz

n00b
Well I still think you are trolling us ... as the nec xm29 is simply one of the best crt monitor ever made (if not the best). It is the wet dream for most us here ( I have personally been trying to find one for 2 years now) .. and you saying that you got one and don't know anything about it and asking if it is any good ...
Anyway I had no ill intentions... and my offer is still active. The moment you want to get rid of it I will be more than happy to dispose it for you ;)

Well I'm being honest (while that make me a clear target for some) I honestly didn't know it was 'that' good. I know NEC made/makes good stuff, but I grew up with the Sony Broadcast monitors being the best, bar none. That's all I've ever seen, is 99% Sony gear in a broadcast capacity.

Yeah, I guess I still have much to learn about all these different monitors out there.

I do understand there's a lot of newbies on here, me being one of them. I can understand the apprehension in most cases, but I'm not on here to cause any ill-will. I enjoy this hobby a lot, it's why we're here right?

Now, with that past us, I'll post some pics of it, by Monday.

Thanks.

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
Please tell me how you took such amazing shots of a CRT. Every attempt I have made gave poor results.

I have tried a ton of different cameras. Everything from a cheap ass old digital camera to a Canon 7D and I can never get them to turn out. Probably doesn't help that I'm not much of a photographer. I finally tried using the camera on my Nexus 5 phone with the lights off and that has given me the best results by far. I'm sure there are some better options/methods, but this is what has worked best for me.

Last edited:

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
So I finally found a cheap pvm, a Sony 1351q. Bought it as a Christmas present to myself. The previous owner did a lot of professional video editing. he was the only owner and he bought it new in 94. Had that perplexed look when I told him I was using it for an arcade project lol. So far only thing I've tried it on was the ps3. Only console I had svideo cables for. Not looking forward to spend time and money on making cables. But so far I'm impressed.

Enjoy. I got mine cheap off of Craigslist just over a year ago. The picture is so clear that I don't mind the size and use it over my 27" Trinitron for all my solo old school gaming. Just get some decent speakers and sit down right in front of it.

The 1351q has a horizontal resolution 450. I actually bought a JVC BM-H1310SU based on Skips' review of a similar model. I'm looking forward to see how it compares to the 1351q. Still keeping the 1351q around though so I'll now have 3 TVs in the man-sion.

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
While there are many suggestions one where to get quality SCART cables for different systems, I don't think I've ever heard any for quality male to male SCART cables for going from say, a switch to monitor/breakout cable.
Does anyone have any recommendations?

I have tried a ton of different cameras. Everything from a cheap ass old digital camera to a Canon 7D and I can never get them to turn out. Probably doesn't help that I'm not much of a photographer. I finally tried using the camera on my Nexus 5 phone with the lights off and that has given me the best results by far. I'm sure there are some better options/methods, but this is what has worked best for me.

Thanks for the tip. I don't have a Nexus but I'll try my iphone camera and see if I can get better results.

Bancho

n00b
Please tell me how you took such amazing shots of a CRT. Every attempt I have made gave poor results.

I always find i struggle to get anything decent with my Samsung S4. Always get the refresh flicker. I tend to get some great shots with my Canon DSLR though. The ability to adjust aperture and shutter speed help loads.

IMG_5492.jpg

Only thing is i need to remember to turn off the light as you can see the reflection in the screen hahaha

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
I always find i struggle to get anything decent with my Samsung S4. Always get the refresh flicker. I tend to get some great shots with my Canon DSLR though. The ability to adjust aperture and shutter speed help loads.

My wife is a lot more versed in photography. I should have her try some shots with our 7D and see how they turn out.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Put my 20M4U in my one slot cab. Scanlines are razor sharp, pics through the front glass of the cab.
Spoiler:

IMG_0024.JPG

IMG_0026.JPG

skate323k137

10 Year Member
I didn't have to de-case it, I just modified the shelf in the cab to hold any 20" PVM.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
That looks fantastic. I remember you had a PVM in that cab before. Was this a pretty big upgrade?

Yeah, I had a 1943MD in there, which looked pretty damn good. The 20M4U is a noticeable upgrade though, newer manufacture date and higher TVL rating.

mr.2jz

n00b
So to follow up on my post on the weekend.

Here are the monitors I rescued from recycling/e-waste.

First, my apologies. I really did get confused on the whole NEC model #. What I apparently have is the NEC Multisync 4PG. Doing some reading, turns out it's a smaller version of the XM29. This is 27" but the rest of the specs between the two (from what I found), look the same. It's also possible the XM29 has a few more inputs.

They've been in storage, indoors/normal room temp, but have some dust to them. I'll be cleaning them up over the next week or so.

1.NEC 4PG (PG-2740) front:

M8Ggp5P.png

2. back:
xigf5vf.jpg

3. remote:
WRC0MAB.png

4.Sony PVM-2950Q
AEqgh0d.png

5.Sony PVM-20M2U
4PFA97j.png

I've only had a chance to hook up a Super Famicom via S-Video to all of these and they work. I have an original PS2 with RGB cables, so I'll give that a go tomorrow and take a close up pic. I could try my S-video modded AES too.

Thanks.

GeePM

Armored Scrum Object
So to follow up on my post on the weekend.

Here are the monitors I rescued from recycling/e-waste.

First, my apologies. I really did get confused on the whole NEC model #. What I apparently have is the NEC Multisync 4PG. Doing some reading, turns out it's a smaller version of the XM29. This is 27" but the rest of the specs between the two (from what I found), look the same. It's also possible the XM29 has a few more inputs.

They've been in storage, indoors/normal room temp, but have some dust to them. I'll be cleaning them up over the next week or so.

1.NEC 4PG (PG-2740) front:

M8Ggp5P.png

2. back:
xigf5vf.jpg

3. remote:
WRC0MAB.png

4.Sony PVM-2950Q
AEqgh0d.png

5.Sony PVM-20M2U
4PFA97j.png

I've only had a chance to hook up a Super Famicom via S-Video to all of these and they work. I have an original PS2 with RGB cables, so I'll give that a go tomorrow and take a close up pic. I could try my S-video modded AES too.

Thanks.
Holy shit dude, you got an awesome score. Whats the line count on the 2950Q?
You should hook a brother up ;)

mr.2jz

n00b
Holy shit dude, you got an awesome score. Whats the line count on the 2950Q?
You should hook a brother up ;)

GeePM - as for the line count, I think it's 600 TV Lines.

Thanks everyone!

Much appreciated. I'll get shots tomorrow of them running with either a PS2 and some random shmup like Raiden or Gradius, I can reuse the SuperFamicom too. I have a few good games for that as well.

If I could hook up a few people on here with a PVM, I would, especially if their final destination is in some bin or getting broken up.

Gonna try and access the service/maintenance menus on these monitors and see what kind of life they had (hour wise).

Thanks.

I'm in the greater toronto area, might I ask where you found these? been having a hard time finding rgb monitors for a decent price on kijiji recently.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
If those all have nice pictures you hit the CRT jackpot man. Congrats.