CRT Fetish Thread

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
I'm really not getting bent out of shape, I'm just baffled as to why you guys are so hostile. No wonder you're driving people away from the forum. That and the draconian rules and limitations applied to new members. This forum just feels like it's full of angry people who are afraid of new people "ruining" their interpretation of their hobby.

I really hate to derail the CRT thread, but I'd just like to point out that for every one newcomer that gets bent out of shape or feels victimized, there are three that integrate just fine. You'll really be better off just rolling with the punches around here, or if you dislike it that much, just leave.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
I don't use hot glue. They are bolted in using the standoffs. Just like I said above.

The connectors are flush mounted, the wiring is tied down, everything is solid and everything works as it should. I fail to see how it is "sloppy". You may see it as unnecessary, but that is not for you to decide.

I'm really not getting bent out of shape, I'm just baffled as to why you guys are so hostile. No wonder you're driving people away from the forum. That and the draconian rules and limitations applied to new members. This forum just feels like it's full of angry people who are afraid of new people "ruining" their interpretation of their hobby.

If you want to get mad at me for how I work on my consoles, or what have you, that is your problem. I came here for help and friendly advice, not to be berated and called "sloppy".

People need to remember that this is a hobby, and these are toys. Cheap pieces of plastic with some dated electronics in them from decades ago. There were mass produced, mass marketed, and sold in huge numbers.

Good day to you.

If you don't like the criticism/environment you are welcome to give places like Shmups and Sega 16 a try. No I am not saying leave, that is just a serious word of advice if you dislike it here. There was nothing hostile in my comments, you decided to get upset when I gave you a simpler alternative and critiqued/questioned your work. And yes I did call it sloppy because in those pics it looks like there were scratch marks around the port as if you missed while cutting it (that and it looks unappealing to the eye). This is a hobby but people don't ass pat other members for every piece of work that is posted. If people find something unappealing or unnecessary they will say so, the people here are just brutally honest.

No one is being hostile. If you post redundant/unnecessary things here you will get criticism and or comments from the other modders on the site. No one is getting mad at you, however if you come in here bitching about how this place is after just joining I can assure you that you will prick people the wrong way and they will become hostile.

Last edited:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member

Sounds like you need some black cock in your diet.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I guess simon_c just expected everyone to circle-jerk around his ingenious little workaround for buying "proprietary" SCART cables.

Grow a pair, dude. You post pics, people are going to have opinions. Getting all butthurt isn't going to win you any friends around here. It's just going to get you commissioned into the faggot brigade. And before you say that you don't care, you're the one whining about how mean we are.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
I fail to see how it is "sloppy".

I'm really not getting bent out of shape [rant and assumption continued]

If you want to get mad at me for how I work on my consoles. [rant and assumption continued]

I came here for help and friendly advice. [rant and assumption continued]

Want some friendly advice? It's called Constructive Criticism. Grow a pair and learn from it instead of acting like a child sulking in a corner.

You took multiple consoles:
- cut the case.
- tossed some shitty vga ports on it.

You broke a simple rule called common sense: modded when not even needed or required as the console already had the function.

The amateur part is the time wasted doing what you did instead of making a proper cable.

these are toys. Cheap pieces of plastic with some dated electronics in them from decades ago. There were mass produced, mass marketed, and sold in huge numbers.

Yet:

I saved those. They were both broken. They would have been garbage otherwise. Its not like they're rare either. I think i paid 20$ for each of them.

You complain about a cable for the console being too expensive, yet you waste $20 ea on broken consoles.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Holy shit. I missed him saying that he paid $20 for broken consoles. What a boob.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
What's the best/easy way to play a Dreamcast on CRT? I know that the Dreamcast outputs VGA, but most TV's don't have VGA input. Anybody know if there is a cheap way to convert VGA to component, or will that degenerate the VGA?

Having to use composite is killing me.

Last edited:

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
I dunno, I wouldn't call them sloppy. But its meant to function, not be shown off.
If they're not meant to be shown off, then don't show them off. It's simple.
You jumped in here thinking you'd "show off" your mod work and have people praise you for it. But as most of what everyone is saying is, they were completely unnecessary mods!
I commend you for repairing/salvaging dead consoles, but you could have saved your time redundancy-modding them, and spent more time *using them*.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
joined the PVM club today

got a sony PVM-20M2U complete with a traveling case.

i ordered an scart cable awhile back in preparation for this purchase but it has yet to arrive, i just got home with this sucker

20140924_170233.jpg

Awesome! Another Colorado member!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
What's the best/easy way to play a Dreamcast on CRT? I know that the Dreamcast outputs VGA, but most TV's don't have VGA input. Anybody know if there is a cheap way to convert VGA to component, or will that degenerate the VGA?

Having to use composite is killing me.
I'm assuming you mean a SD CRT. The best thing to do is get a RGB scart cable and a rgb to component transcoder. The image will look great. Converting vga to interlaced signal isn't going to look great.

dragonpt

Over Top Auto Mechanic
10 Year Member
Hi guys, i need some feedback concerning this CRT model that im about to buy:

NEC MultiSync XM29 Xtra with 29"

enyone knows this beast ?

Regards

2D_mastur

10 Year Member
I'm assuming you mean a SD CRT. The best thing to do is get a RGB scart cable and a rgb to component transcoder. The image will look great. Converting vga to interlaced signal isn't going to look great.

SD= standard definition?

If so ; yes.

My Dreamcast is a standard (un-moded) US version. No way it has the capability to output a scart signal, even with the proper cord. It would be too good to be true.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member

Regards

If it's in good working condition, buy it.

That's all you need to know.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
SD= standard definition?

If so ; yes.

My Dreamcast is a standard (un-moded) US version. No way it has the capability to output a scart signal, even with the proper cord. It would be too good to be true.
It does! No mod necessary, you just need the cable.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student

Regards

It is one of the best monitors available. Do not buy it though unless you can get pictures of it running in 240p or can check that yourself in person (unless its going for super cheap don't buy without checking it). You want to make sure there are no geometry issues ect.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
SD= standard definition?

If so ; yes.

S-video is an option. I could loan you my RF DC hook up.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
SD= standard definition?

If so ; yes.

You could use rgb scart with your U.S Dreamcast console. Just be aware that a few games do not support RGB scart, Street Fighter Alpha 3 is one of them.

dragonpt

Over Top Auto Mechanic
10 Year Member
It is one of the best monitors available. Do not buy it though unless you can get pictures of it running in 240p or can check that yourself in person (unless its going for super cheap don't buy without checking it). You want to make sure there are no geometry issues ect.
The lady is asking 190eur for it.
I plug it in (like 30m ago) my mv1fz to test, and the colours are a bit messed up. E.g: the monitor is all "redish".
Not sure what the problem is, I didn't bought it today, I'll check on an electronic/TV repair shop near me , what may be the issue... If its easy to fix and cheap its one thing, if that's an expensive repair, I'll pass .

Thanks for the feedback
Regards

2D_mastur

10 Year Member
You could use rgb scart with your U.S Dreamcast console. Just be aware that a few games do not support RGB scart, Street Fighter Alpha 3 is one of them.

I mostly play Gunbird 2 and Project Justice on my DC.

Anybody know if these games support scart?

Anybody have a list of games that won't support scart?

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
I bought a scart cable for my US dreamcast and it wont work, it is a Pelican branded Euro scart one. The screen just is all scrambled and rotates rapidly vertically

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
I bought a scart cable for my US dreamcast and it wont work, it is a Pelican branded Euro scart one. The screen just is all scrambled and rotates rapidly vertically

Kinda sounds like a NTSC/PAL issue but I'll let the experts chime in.