NFL Thread - 2017/2018

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Lots of players sat / kneeled last year and some have this year - they have jobs. Yes, he became the first face, but not the only.

He isn't asking for third string money. The Ravens wanted to sign him but only had 5.9 million of cap space - couldn't come to terms.

The Seahawks like him a lot and couldn't come to terms. ESPN's Mike Garafolo said he went in there asking in the 9-10 million/year range. That isn't backup money.

If he played last year like he did in 2014 he'd have a job at that price, or likely quite a bit more. The NFL is riddled with talented QB's who lit up the league for a season or half a season and then they were figured out and we're middling at best. He's a middling QB and if he took middling QB money like a Ryan Mallet / Matt Schaub type, again, he'd have a job.

I am not saying he was asking for a low value contract. But saying he doesn't have a job because he can't produce is just the typical bullshit spread by the white trash to feel justified about the blackballing.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
27th/30 starting qbs.

Can't get signed over the backups and third strigers.

Go home Mike. You're drunk.

He also gets hurt a shitload. He's had a ton of surgeries in the last few years. Shoulder, knee, thumb, lower leg,

And pretty much all his team mates in San Francisco were reported to dislike him before he started kneeling for the anthem.

To be clear, I think it's awesome that he kneels for the anthem.

But do you want a guy who is:
1. Injury prone
2. Seeking to be paid like a starter
3. A terrible passer
4. A massive distraction
5. A locker room distraction
6. Got beaten out for the starting job by Blaine Gabbert... twice

backing up your team's quarterback?

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
I am not saying he was asking for a low value contract. But saying he doesn't have a job because he can't produce is just the typical bullshit spread by the white trash to feel justified about the blackballing.

Do you think he's producing at 9-10 million/year? I don't. It seems if he were willing to take a contract similar to his production - a mid-range backup at 2-4/million, there are a handful of teams interested in him at that price.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Do you think he's producing at 9-10 million/year? I don't. It seems if he were willing to take a contract similar to his production - a mid-range backup at 2-4/million, there are a handful of teams interested in him at that price.

I imagine most second string QBs earn about $3/yr. if he thinks he's worth that much, that's fine. Don't sign him. But trying to trash the guy on his numbers requires completely ignoring the numbers and management of SF.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
A bit late on this, but :lolz: at the Browns/Osweiler situation. He must be the highest paid backup this year, probably higher paid than many starters. I think Stafford is only making $27m this year, so Brock's not doing too bad at $16m without necessarily having to play a down.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
A bit late on this, but :lolz: at the Browns/Osweiler situation. He must be the highest paid backup this year, probably higher paid than many starters. I think Stafford is only making $27m this year, so Brock's not doing too bad at $16m without necessarily having to play a down.

Highest paid unemployed QBs this year would be a good list.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Didn't osweiler go back to the Broncos? Yeah kaepernick can probably start at least 7 teams.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Didn't osweiler go back to the Broncos? Yeah kaepernick can probably start at least 7 teams.

Yeah, I think the Broncos are paying him $775k to be backup, and clevelands on the hook for the rest. I agree about Kaep. He'll get picked up when a team needs someone to start, but won't get picked up as a backup before then. I still think the Jags are a likely destination.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Name 7 starters that Kaepernick is better than. Because I don't even think he's better than fucking Hoyer.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Name 7 starters that Kaepernick is better than. Because I don't even think he's better than fucking Hoyer.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...ays-the-nfl-is-blackballing-colin-kaepernick/

"It's a process of just trying to weed you out. This is what I feel is going to happen to [Kaepernick]. They begin to try to put you in vulnerable positions. They play with your minutes, trying to mess up your rhythm. Then they sit you more. Then what it looks like is, well, the guy just doesn't have it anymore, so we trade him."

famicommander

15 Year Member
He sucked long before he started losing playing time. The more he plays, the worse he looks. He can barely hit a six yard pass in the flats.

And again, I think his anthem protest is awesome. But he's a scrub and everyone knows it. Broncos LB Brandon Marshall made the same protest and there hasn't been a hint of contoversy because the dude can play.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
He sucked long before he started losing playing time. The more he plays, the worse he looks. He can barely hit a six yard pass in the flats.

And again, I think his anthem protest is awesome. But he's a scrub and everyone knows it. Broncos LB Brandon Marshall made the same protest and there hasn't been a hint of contoversy because the dude can play.

You have to know how the NFL works by now. Look at deflategate: the NFL takes a position and refuses to adapt until they are defeated. They took a position on Kaepernick but realized they couldn't do it to everyone else. That doesn't mean they change direction on Kaepernick.

Kaepernick's production was closely tied to Harbaugh's shotcalling. (And when Harbaugh left the NFL, it looked like some huckster who just got exposed trying to make an escape)... And it's not like he ever played under Chip Kelly (would that have worked? Who knows).

famicommander

15 Year Member
You keep dodging the fact that he just isn't very good. Even the Super Bowl year, he took that team full of great players exactly ONE play farther than they got with Alex Smith the year prior, and he has looked worse in every single season since then.

NFL coaches and GMs are paid to win. They would sign Saddam Hussein if he could hit a 45 yard pass to the opposite sideline in stride.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
You keep dodging the fact that he just isn't very good. Even the Super Bowl year, he took that team full of great players exactly ONE play farther than they got with Alex Smith the year prior, and he has looked worse in every single season since then.

NFL coaches and GMs are paid to win. They would sign Saddam Hussein if he could hit a 45 yard pass to the opposite sideline in stride.

Yet Ray Rice got run out of town to make an example.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Ray Rice was an aging running back coming off a year in which he averaged 44 rushing yards per game, who then brutally attacked his girlfriend, knocked her out, and dragged her unconscious body through a hotel. On camera.

He was already over the hill. If he could still play, he would still be in the league just like that shitbag Adrian Peterson.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Wow again with the 1 dimensional retrospectives.

Ray Rice was suspended in 2014
In 2013 the entire baltimore team had a shit season, and he was coming off an injury midway in the season.
In february of 2013, Rice won a superbowl
He had just turned 27 when he was invovled in the battery of his gf.

And everyone is aging. Running backs can become past prime very quickly in the NFL, but 27 is not retirement age. But every player will tell you that taking too much time off from playing in the NFL will hurt your ability to ever return.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Ray Rice 2011
Rushing yards: 1,364
Rushing yards per game: 85.2
Rushing yards per attempt: 4.7
Rushing touchdowns: 12
Receptions: 76
Receiving yards: 704
Yards per reception: 9.3
Receiving touchdowns: 3

Rsy Rice 2012
Rushing Yards: 1,143
Rushing yards per game: 71.4
Rushing yards per attempt: 4.4
Rushing touchdowns: 9
Receptions: 61
Receiving yards: 478
Receiving yards per reception: 7.8
Receiving touchdowns: 1

Ray Rice 2013
Rushing yards: 660
Rushing yards per game: 44.0
Rushing yards per attempt: 3.1
Rushing touchdowns: 4
Receptions: 58
Receiving yards: 321
Yards per reception: 5.5
Receiving touchdowns: 0

He was clearly in decline and it usually doesn't get better as running backs get older. ESPECIALLY smaller backs that rely on speed.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Ray Rice 2011
Rushing yards: 1,364
Rushing yards per game: 85.2
Rushing yards per attempt: 4.7
Rushing touchdowns: 12
Receptions: 76
Receiving yards: 704
Yards per reception: 9.3
Receiving touchdowns: 3

Rsy Rice 2012
Rushing Yards: 1,143
Rushing yards per game: 71.4
Rushing yards per attempt: 4.4
Rushing touchdowns: 9
Receptions: 61
Receiving yards: 478
Receiving yards per reception: 7.8
Receiving touchdowns: 1

Ray Rice 2013
Rushing yards: 660
Rushing yards per game: 44.0
Rushing yards per attempt: 3.1
Rushing touchdowns: 4
Receptions: 58
Receiving yards: 321
Yards per reception: 5.5
Receiving touchdowns: 0

He was clearly in decline and it usually doesn't get better as running backs get older. ESPECIALLY smaller backs that rely on speed.

2 1000+ yard seasons followed by a bad season which began with an injury....

Not convinced. You're trying too hard to bleach the guilt of the NFL in handling players.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Or you're a delusional conspiracy nut. He got worse in every measurable category two straight years, then missed a whole season.

Why is Adrian Peterson still in the league?
Pacman Jones?
Brandon Marshall?

Those guys did the same stuff or worse than Kaepernick and Rice and they're all still in the league. Why? Because they can still play.

If Rice still had that quick first step he would be on a roster right now.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Or you're a delusional conspiracy nut. He got worse in every measurable category two straight years, then missed a whole season.

Why is Adrian Peterson still in the league?
Pacman Jones?
Brandon Marshall?

Those guys did the same stuff or worse than Kaepernick and Rice and they're all still in the league. Why? Because they can still play.

If Rice still had that quick first step he would be on a roster right now.

Maybe I am a conspiracy nut, but i don't see 2 straight years. 1000+ yards is still a great season for any running back.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Maybe I am a conspiracy nut, but i don't see 2 straight years. 1000+ yards is still a great season for any running back.

Literally every single measurable stat was worse than the year before. Rushing and receiving, totals and averages, touchdowns, etc. It was still a good year but it's a fact that it wad a step back in every way. Then he followed it up with a horrible year, then had his media circus, then missed a whole season.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Literally every single measurable stat was worse than the year before. Rushing and receiving, totals and averages, touchdowns, etc. It was still a good year but it's a fact that it wad a step back in every way. Then he followed it up with a horrible year, then had his media circus, then missed a whole season.

I am still going with his 2013 season suffering from both his injury and the collective woes of a Ravens offense missing many weapons. In fact, 2013 was the start of the Ravens turning into a hospital team.

And look at the departures from their title season:
Ray Lewis
Ed Reed
Ellerbe
Paul Kruger
Cary Williams
Boldin

The offense was hardly ever on the field in 2013.

famicommander

15 Year Member
The numbers are what they are. And Rice getting hurt isn't an argument in his favor -- that tends to happen more and more as running backs age.

The average length of an NFL running back's career is 2.57 seasons. If someone signed Rice for 2015 it would have been his 8th, with his previous 3 being a year off, a terrible year, and a good year that was a noticeable decline from the year prior.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
If you really want to explore why Ray Rice and not Brandon Marshall or AP - look no further than the contract that he signed in 2012 for $35mm. The Ravens used the moral turpitude clause to cut themselves free from that ckntract after losing a ton of talent on the other side of the ball that they desperately needed to recoup from. AP's vikings didn't have that problem. Their problem has been with the QB position almost exclusively, making them desperate for something consistent at tailback. And BM hasn't really been a contract heavy cap consideration either.

famicommander

15 Year Member
That contract only explains why he isn't a Raven anymore. He could have signed anywhere else after thst point for any amount and it didn't happen.

If he could still put up 4.7 yards per attempt and 12 touchdowns he would be on a roster right now.