My Hyper Neo series - Samurai Spirits 64 2 - 5/5

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
It's a wonder why they even bothered with developing the HNG64 in the first place. They were late to the party with it, it underperformed and it had first party titles that sucked in comparison to their NG counterparts. Nevermind the competing titles from other developers of the time.

Gee I wonder why they ditched it and went back to what was still bringing them success in the market.

I think it was a PC-FX situation. Designed a platform, sat on it, released it too late

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member

Round Trip RV. Honestly after spending days making a PC wheel/pedal set to get this running, I don’t think I’d do it again. Fun game for sure but making it work at home is a pain in the ass. But all the same...play it in arcades if you ever see a cab!

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Thanks for this. Very nice to get a closer look at this game. I have to agree, I'm not sure what SNK was thinking here. I played it at the Mall of America when it was new, and Sega Rally 2, not far away from this machine, looked worlds better. A big part of the problem was the lack of anti-aliasing. I do remember enjoying the Neo Geo-ish music coming from the speakers behind my head though.

Sounds like your setup doesn't have the audio wired for the sound effects?

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Thanks for this. Very nice to get a closer look at this game. I have to agree, I'm not sure what SNK was thinking here. I played it at the Mall of America when it was new, and Sega Rally 2, not far away from this machine, looked worlds better. A big part of the problem was the lack of anti-aliasing. I do remember enjoying the Neo Geo-ish music coming from the speakers behind my head though.

Sounds like your setup doesn't have the audio wired for the sound effects?

No I never wired those speakers up. Honestly by the time I was done getting the controls all wired up I was over the whole idea of continuing work lol.

At some point I'll get it done

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
This is great, man! Finally had a second to watch these. I've never actually seen Round Trip, so that was awesome. I had the awesome good fortune to have a friend that had a full fighting game set for it back in the day, so I got to spend a lot of time with the Hyper. Also, blew my mind to learn from you it has the same processor as the N64 - had no idea. lol

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
This is great, man! Finally had a second to watch these. I've never actually seen Round Trip, so that was awesome. I had the awesome good fortune to have a friend that had a full fighting game set for it back in the day, so I got to spend a lot of time with the Hyper. Also, blew my mind to learn from you it has the same processor as the N64 - had no idea. lol

I’ve got more into coming soon too. I had a hardware engineer take a look at some high res photos and he’s doing up a full schematic on exactly how the whole damn thing functions

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Added Buriki One. It still amazes me how good this game feels 21 years later. SNK was onto something with the control scheme. Sadly we never saw them use it again

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster
This is a great series! Certainly makes me interested in the platform. Hope I can get one eventually.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Thanks. This is just what I needed today. I really like the details you gave about the mechanics. I can see you're good at this game and are passionate about it.

My favorite weekly TV shows are all on hiatus, but Youtubers are stepping up and providing new content. I've been trying to work on my Burning Fight video, but work has been way too busy.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Thanks. This is just what I needed today. I really like the details you gave about the mechanics. I can see you're good at this game and are passionate about it.

My favorite weekly TV shows are all on hiatus, but Youtubers are stepping up and providing new content. I've been trying to work on my Burning Fight video, but work has been way too busy.

Glad you liked it. I'd def say its subjectively the "best" game on the Hyper. Granted my favorite is Beast Busters but as far as games go, Buriki One delivered the best experience and the most forward thinking progression

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
I'd say Buriki One is very well-liked. The second SS game is also fairly well-regarded around here. You rarely hear anything about the driving games and Beast Busters because they require special equipment.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member

Making this work at home is a PITA, but in the end its worth it. Fell in love with this game in 2005 while out in Vail, Colorado, and knew one day I'd own it. Took til 2019 but worth the wait

nmsc

n00b
Thanks for posting these. I been enjoying them, and always fascinated by the Hyper

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster
Great video. Probably the best looking footage on YouTube of this game.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Great video. Probably the best looking footage on YouTube of this game.

Thanks. It goes PCB - Supergun - Framemeister - Upscale to 1080p - Into Elgato HD 60 S - through DaVinci Resolve - export in the highest bit rate YT will allow for native uploads

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member

Making this work at home is a PITA, but in the end its worth it. Fell in love with this game in 2005 while out in Vail, Colorado, and knew one day I'd own it. Took til 2019 but worth the wait

Love this game. Came across it much like you but maybe around 99 or 00. What I found amazing about it was how brash and confident it was. The game is charismatic as fuck, if that is even possible. It is one of the most chaotic riotous arcade experience I had ever had. Punk gaming

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Damn, you really love this game. Lately I'm really impressed how much information you can cram into a small amount of time. Do you follow a script or notes?

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Damn, you really love this game. Lately I'm really impressed how much information you can cram into a small amount of time. Do you follow a script or notes?

Whether its a good thing or a bad thing, I write nothing down. I just start talking based on like maybe 5-10 key "words" on a notepad in front of me. But I do cut and redo a lot. But I really didnt want to sound like I am reading off a script so I just say what is in my head. Im no expert by far but I've had a lot of public speaking experience in my work and teach so talking has become second nature to me.

Plus when I am talking about shit I love its easier!

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
It shows. I admire the ability to speak succinctly off the cuff without stumbling or rambling. It's a skill I lack, but you seem to pull it off well. Seems like the right approach for this.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
It shows. I admire the ability to speak succinctly off the cuff without stumbling or rambling. It's a skill I lack, but you seem to pull it off well. Seems like the right approach for this.

I'm sure you could pull it off well, just have to practice and find your voice

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member

Lol well you don’t get to hear the outtakes. They normally go something like “what the fuck did you just say” or “that was some stupid shit Anthony” or “are you an idiot” Lolol

And yes I talk to myself in the third person while recording haha

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Added Buriki One. It still amazes me how good this game feels 21 years later. SNK was onto something with the control scheme. Sadly we never saw them use it again

I have just brought a copy of Buiki one and Fatal fury to go with my HNG 64 :)

Looking forward to trying it out once it comes.
Such a bizarre control scheme I just know I am going to be trying to move with the stick!!

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member

You can’t really talk about the Hyper if you don’t talk about why it failed

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Really great analysis once again. I agree completely. Thanks for this!

I remember being really taken aback by the lack of anti-aliasing the first time I saw Road's Edge when it was new. I loved it all the same for being from SNK, but clearly graphically it didn't hold up.

I'm not so bothered by having only three race courses to choose from. It's the same on Sega's arcade games. I assume SNK just followed the precedent set by Sega, since they had to get these games out.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior

You can’t really talk about the Hyper if you don’t talk about why it failed

All valid points, I think exposure would be the main one though in my mind.

I never even heard of HNG64 until many years after it had gone.

Never saw one in the wild but thats no major shocker really as the arcade scene over here was pretty dead by the time it came out.

I think you are right about them stretching to thin with stuff to, That hurt them in many ways IMO.