The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Underwhelming game, far from a title of "magnum opus."

Liked the tshirt though.

saner

Krauser's Henchman
Underwhelming game, far from a title of "magnum opus."

Liked the tshirt though.

Whaaaat!. the complete Samurai Shodown V Special is the ultimate game in the series.

and don't you dare say SSII or IV is better, when they are obsolete in all categories (well except maybe IV in sprite graphics, but its damage and everything else is a joke)
and have the weakest rosters if SSI or III weren't counted. and of course SSVI is the worst of them all because despite the roster and systems, it is Samurai Shodown for kids" compared to all the other ones.

the creators of Samurai Shodown created the series with intent to express the terror of fighting with weapons, and no Samurai Shodown expresses that at the level of SSV Special (uncensored), as well as Sen, even though Sen did have some kinks that could be smoothened.

http://www.arcadequartermaster.com/ss5s_config.html

overall, SSVS has the greatest everything from the series (though its greatest flaw is the lack of Cham Cham)

though overall, SSVS is unrivaled in the series. it has the strengths of the greatest Samurai Shodown games, except refined

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7SKbDCibII

http://shoryuken.com/2014/02/25/dee...is-the-best-fighting-game-youve-never-played/

https://www.destructoid.com/samurai-shodown-v-special-trailer-is-a-bloodbath-448849.phtml

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Well, SSVS is better than SSIV.

But SSIII is way better than anything after it. SSII exceeds special in every way. That huge roster of clunky characters and horrible ui can't save it.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
All creature will die and all the things will be broken.

saner

Krauser's Henchman
Well, SSVS is better than SSIV.

But SSIII is way better than anything after it. SSII exceeds special in every way. That huge roster of clunky characters and horrible ui can't save it.

the UI is adequate. and clunky characters? SSII is too slow and doesn't even have half the depth and options SSVS has in combat.

plus SSII is too childish with its finishers, I mean like cmon, bananas flying out of their body like a pinata? well yes SSI had coins flying out of Earthquake, but SSVS is much more mature. and SSII is missing out on the awesome characters that III and IV introduced, which SSVS includes.

I agree SSIII is better than I, II, IV and obviously VI, it even has the perfect backgrounds and atmosphere, especially when both are critical in the climactic round, though still, even the greatest among the predecessors still feel outdated compared to SSV Special.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
SNK overshot the mark after III with BG,sprites,size and atmosphere.III is a visual masterpiece that only needed an expanded roster and perfected mechanics imo.
BB

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
the UI is adequate. and clunky characters? SSII is too slow and doesn't even have half the depth and options SSVS has in combat.

plus SSII is too childish with its finishers, I mean like cmon, bananas flying out of their body like a pinata? well yes SSI had coins flying out of Earthquake, but SSVS is much more mature. and SSII is missing out on the awesome characters that III and IV introduced, which SSVS includes.

I agree SSIII is better than I, II, IV and obviously VI, it even has the perfect backgrounds and atmosphere, especially when both are critical in the climactic round, though still, even the greatest among the predecessors still feel outdated compared to SSV Special.

I might agree that V has more game mechanics then II I always felt II felt the most natural in implementing the mechanics. It had the Street Fighteresque game engine that worked nicely.

BTW if you are worried about realism go play Last Blade 2. Sam Sho had ridiculous looking characters and over the top moves. I don't think it was ever ment to feel realistic.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
SNK overshot the mark after III with BG,sprites,size and atmosphere.III is a visual masterpiece that only needed an expanded roster and perfected mechanics imo.
BB

Fuckin This.

saner

Krauser's Henchman
I might agree that V has more game mechanics then II I always felt II felt the most natural in implementing the mechanics. It had the Street Fighteresque game engine that worked nicely.

BTW if you are worried about realism go play Last Blade 2. Sam Sho had ridiculous looking characters and over the top moves. I don't think it was ever ment to feel realistic.

I like The Last Blade games. their characters somewhat lack charisma, and not because it's more "realistic", but because the overall fighting and design just lacks more potent essence that Samurai Shodown refined further over the years.
the Bushido Blade games are more realistic than Last Blade and Samurai Shodown series combined, and it has lots of charisma and more memorable character designs than Last Blade.
I think the overall game design from Last Blade is what really watered down the presence of its characters, they could be more interesting in Samurai Shodown universe. though The Last Blade does have some ambient qualities, though Samurai Shodown does have that here and there as well.

Also, while Samurai Shodown is over top in parts, it developed into more perfect balance of realism and over the top expression.

Also since the very first Samurai Showdown, the developers aimed for more realistic side of the spectrum, especially with the fact they wanted to express the TERROR of fighting weapon to weapon, and that cannot be done making it simply Street Fighter with weapons. they had to up the damage, add blood, cutting people in half,
design the lore and kill or be killed survival nature to the fighting.

INTERVIEW of creators of Samurai Shodown
https://www.polygon.com/2017/4/10/15223966/the-making-of-samurai-shodown

Samurai Shodown really aims for more realism than most fighting games of its kind. Soul Edge/Calibur is practically Care Bears compared to Samurai Shodown series, and Samurai Shodown naturally got more violent and gorier as the series progressed. it wasn't until SSVI that the developers lost their way and made things too childish and lighthearted, so despite SSVI's mechanics and roster, it was all wasted with the betrayal of its original violent nature.

and since the very first SS, Mortal Kombat was always one of its inspirations, so just like other ultra violent games like Eternal Champions, blood and gore are a natural part of Samurai Shodown style, which adds more to its realism and raw fight to the death aspects, instead of some spineless prize fighter sport.

just play Samurai Shodown 1 and see the things said, the atmosphere feel, and the fighting expressed, it's really the most realistic fighting game of its time, generations before Bushido Blade entered the picture and took things further. and Samurai Shodown V Special uncensored is the perfect blend of realism and over the the top flashiness, a great balance that makes it more raw and hardcore while being more entertaining than "ultrarealistic" fighting.

well of course there are greater balance Samurai Shodown can pursue (a Bushido Blade style Samurai Shodown would be very interesting, but yea I know that's outside what conservative fans would be interested in, if SNK makes a Samurai Shodown 7, it's likely 2.5D, with maybe SSVSpecial's blood and gory finishers and mechanics).

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I don't like the Last Blade games. their characters lack charisma, and not because it's more "realistic", but because the overall fighting and design just lacks essence.
the Bushido Blade games are more realistic than Last Blade and Samurai Shodown series combined, and it has lots of charisma and more memorable character designs than Last Blade.
I think the overall game design from Last Blade is what really watered down the presence of its characters, they could be more interesting in Samurai Shodown universe.

Also, while Samurai Shodown is over top in parts, it developed into more perfect balance of realism and over the top expression.

Also since the very first Samurai Showdown, the developers aimed for more realistic side of the spectrum, especially with the fact they wanted to express the TERROR of fighting weapon to weapon, and that cannot be done making it simply Street Fighter with weapons. they had to up the damage, add blood, cutting people in half,
design the lore and kill or be killed survival nature to the fighting.

INTERVIEW of creators of Samurai Shodown
https://www.polygon.com/2017/4/10/15223966/the-making-of-samurai-shodown

Samurai Shodown really aims for more realism than most fighting games of its kind. Soul Edge/Calibur is practically Care Bears compared to Samurai Shodown series, and Samurai Shodown naturally got more violent and gorier as the series progressed. it wasn't until SSVI that the developers lost their way and made things too childish and lighthearted, so despite SSVI's mechanics and roster, it was all wasted with the betrayal of its original violent nature.

and since the very first SS, Mortal Kombat was always one of its inspirations, so just like other ultra violent games like Eternal Champions, blood and gore are a natural part of Samurai Shodown style, which adds more to its realism and raw fight to the death aspects, instead of some spineless prize fighter sport.

just play Samurai Shodown 1 and see the things said, the atmosphere feel, and the fighting expressed, it's really the most realistic fighting game of its time, generations before Bushido Blade entered the picture and took things further. and Samurai Shodown V Special uncensored is the perfect blend of realism and over the the top flashiness, a great balance that makes it more raw and hardcore while being more entertaining than "ultrarealistic" fighting.

well of course there are greater balance Samurai Shodown can pursue (a Bushido Blade style Samurai Shodown would be very interesting, but yea I know that's outside what conservative fans would be interested in, if SNK makes a Samurai Shodown 7, it's likely 2.5D, with maybe SSVSpecial's blood and gory finishers and mechanics).

This guy doesn't like the Last Blade Games. Please ban.

saner

Krauser's Henchman
This gal doesn't like the Last Blade Games. Please ban.

What I mean to say, The Last Blade is awesome, but look at the SNK fanbase as a whole, The Last Blade series, despite having some great qualities about them, just don't have the appeal that Samurai Shodown series has. So I take back what I said about The Last Blade in regards to not liking those games, they are masterpieces in their own right,

however, people have to be in denial to think that The Last Blade could ever substitute Samurai Shodown games. The Last Blade games lack somethings that Samurai Shodown does better, like sound effects for weapon clashing, for example. and more visual and audio impact to finishers and such.

on top of that, SNK gave up on The Last Blade series after the 2nd game, if it gotten as much sequels as Samurai Shodown, it could have developed into something greater, but it's a shame it was just left as is.

I think a merger between The Last Blade series roster and Samurai Shodown, would benefit both as a whole. they really are not too different from each other considering they are the two greatest 2D weapon fighting series ever.

Last edited:

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster

Actually I was around the arcade when Sam Sho came out.

Realism wise you have a 8 Foot tall Amazon Man who was replaced by a cat girl who fights with a monkey, a troll looking guy with a glove hand that is ridiculous, A Swordsman king who went from carrying a sword to a giant boulder, a kabuki fighter, and some lolita who 1st fights with a hawk then who's evil self fights with a wolf that she rides like a horse (not to mention a Ninja with a dog who does ninja skills).

Now if you want to mention that by Sam Sho III they went way more realistic then I concur. That's also why there is much love for Sam Sho III here. The matches felt artistic and pacing wise more realistic. However IV and V kinda felt like they wanted the silly back in. The art went lighter, the characters focused more on powers then actual sword combat. By SSVS you had most of the bosses playable with the stupid god characters and evil versions. How does this feel realistic?

Last Blade is a lot harder to get into I will admit. It doesn't play like traditional fighters, but the parry and dodge system (IMO one of the more important systems is a sword fight) is tons easier in LB then Sam Sho later series. On top of that you deal with an actual period of Japan's History so it feel way more realistic there.

I was going to mention Bushido Blade and Time Killers but I didn't want to insult you since both games are not very good. When it comes down to it we play what we like. Personally, I like SSVS and will play it, but blood doesn't make me like a game. The gameplay does. Which is sad IMO that SSVI is so looked down upon.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Why is this in the Neo Geo section? Should be Arcade Central.

saner

Krauser's Henchman
(um isn't this general discussion for anything SNK related? this isn't arcade related, it's SNK ports related)

well here's a song as apology for The Last Blade comments. I was drunk, ok?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBl0dcyzwzo

Actually I was around the arcade when Sam Sho came out.

Realism wise you have a 8 Foot tall Amazon Man who was replaced by a cat girl who fights with a monkey, a troll looking guy with a glove hand that is ridiculous, A Swordsman king who went from carrying a sword to a giant boulder, a kabuki fighter, and some lolita who 1st fights with a hawk then who's evil self fights with a wolf that she rides like a horse (not to mention a Ninja with a dog who does ninja skills).

Now if you want to mention that by Sam Sho III they went way more realistic then I concur. That's also why there is much love for Sam Sho III here. The matches felt artistic and pacing wise more realistic. However IV and V kinda felt like they wanted the silly back in. The art went lighter, the characters focused more on powers then actual sword combat. By SSVS you had most of the bosses playable with the stupid god characters and evil versions. How does this feel realistic?

Last Blade is a lot harder to get into I will admit. It doesn't play like traditional fighters, but the parry and dodge system (IMO one of the more important systems is a sword fight) is tons easier in LB then Sam Sho later series. On top of that you deal with an actual period of Japan's History so it feel way more realistic there.

I was going to mention Bushido Blade and Time Killers but I didn't want to insult you since both games are not very good. When it comes down to it we play what we like. Personally, I like SSVS and will play it, but blood doesn't make me like a game. The gameplay does. Which is sad IMO that SSVI is so looked down upon.

well The Last Blade has Akari's crazy yokai powers, another can change his hair color like a super sayian, could go on. but blood does make both series greater. they are primarily weapons fighting with mostly blades. blades should cut and spill blood. and The Last Blade features cutting enemies in half too, so it does make combat and finishers more profound and gratifying.

SSVI being looked down upon is justified. it's such a let down when a weapons fighting series since the very first game was mature, has blood, cutting people in half and raw survival philosophies, and then SSVI turns around and makes it a family friendly festival. some would agree it's not worthy of the number.

yes The Last Blade series should be supported and get more games, especially with SNK now back on their feet, they did say they have multiple projects going on, and I think KOFXIV has art that included Akari, they most definitely are aware of The Last Blade series, especially with their ports on PS4 and Vita.

if they are not confident in a new standalone The Last Blade sequel, they could pull a KOF and make a new universe that combines The Last Blade and Samurai Shodown rosters,
with SSVI's style of providing systems from both series to choose from. They could really produce a masterpiece fans of both could be excited for.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
(um isn't this general discussion for anything SNK related? this isn't arcade related, it's SNK ports related)

It used to be for Neo Geo only discussion, I guess a mod got irritated by all the people who couldn't read and added the SNK in there now.

saner

Krauser's Henchman
This is incredible!! We really are getting the definitive version on PS4 and Vita!! So excited!! Think of all the epic matches people and newcomers will have offline and online!! and this can produce a new mainstream fanbase for Samurai Shodown, could even motivate SNK to make a next gen Samurai Shodown 7 with even more glorious blood and gore, and SSV Special inspired fighting.

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/907257967443169280

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/09/11/samurai-shodown-v-special-out-tomorrow-on-ps4-ps-vita/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvRhuSkQAkY

"The PS4 and PS Vita versions of this NeoGeo masterpiece add online multiplayer to the game for the first time, along with a Gallery full of unlockable art and illustrations. We also added a setting to allow players to set their favorite music track as the Menu BGM. This release will of course feature Trophies and Leaderboards, too."

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
We also added a setting to allow players to set their favorite music track as the Menu BGM.

Great. The feature no one ever wanted nor needed finally arrives. I'm curious about the in-game tweaks, though. If it's the ultimate version of SSVS, I wonder if there ever will be a way of playing it on the Neo.

Last edited:

bello

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
I'll probably get this on PS4 as I've been a big fan of the series!More SNK games!

saner

Krauser's Henchman
Great. The feature no one ever wanted nor needed finally arrives. I'm curious about the in-game tweaks, though. If it's the ultimate version of SSVS, I wonder if there ever will be a way of playing it on the Neo.

menu music customization is a quality of life feature, at least some will appreciate it.

and the duels and competition found with that game, locally and online, will be beyond all previous experiences. Some of us didn't even get SSV Special at our arcades, so its a brand new experiences for veterans that missed out on it before (and not everyone pirates on PC, so PC is not an option and irrelevant to those that rather buy games from SNK, instead of steal them.)

SSVS on PS4 and Vita is gonna establish a new generation of epic SSV Special fights, whether people play solo, local or online.
and with things like trophies and Share youtube recordings, people can archive and share their match experiences with others, without even needing a PC nor camera.

SSV Special is gonna be more community active than ever before on PSN :) there could even be PSN communities formed for it.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
menu music customization is a quality of life feature, at least some will appreciate it.

and the duels and competition found with that game, locally and online, will be beyond all previous experiences. Some of us didn't even get SSV Special at our arcades, so its a brand new experiences for veterans that missed out on it before (and not everyone pirates on PC, so PC is not an option and irrelevant to those that rather buy games from SNK, instead of steal them.)

SSVS on PS4 and Vita is gonna establish a new generation of epic SSV Special fights, whether people play solo, local or online.
and with things like trophies and Share youtube recordings, people can archive and share their match experiences with others, without even needing a PC nor camera.

SSV Special is gonna be more community active than ever before on PSN :) there could even be PSN communities formed for it.

Those communities will suck. The game isn't competitive.