King of Fighters 97 Global Match Physical Coming 2/22 via Limited Run Games to PS4/Vita

kei_dash

n00b
In my opinion:

KOF96 best overall game -> first of the "modern" style KOFs
KOF97 best storyline -> I love Orochi team and the tv show presentation
KOF98 best gameplay -> vsmode is gold

None of them (KOF) are bad, maybe 2k3 :tickled:

Why do not build a KOF collection or begin in order by KOF94 at a moderate price? (about 40$)

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
The SNKP KOFs are pretty bad. 2001 feels like a Mugen game. But then I tend to think all SNKP games suck.

Hasuki-san

Igniz's Servent
KOF97 is one of the best balanced games besides of 98. Anyway nobody needs a limited run game which is 20 years old. Better invest your money in the original cartridge or CD

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
If they were going to go with this approach, releasing volumed compilation sets of the aca neogeo releases would have been a better option for new/modern neogeo fans. I imagine a set like that would have done especially well in physical format on the nintendo switch. Oh well.

Stuart989

Sexless Insecure troglodyte, Has an awesome pc rig
I have the entire snk collection of games on my PC for free. Enjoy getting ripped off fools.:lol:

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
If they were going to go with this approach, releasing volumed compilation sets of the aca neogeo releases would have been a better option for new/modern neogeo fans. I imagine a set like that would have done especially well in physical format on the nintendo switch. Oh well.

Completely agree. I was thinking about this myself, I'd totally go for physical volume sets from the ACA Neo-Geo releases. I just wish there was more love for physical on PC and not just consoles.

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
To be honest KOF '97 had it's charm; red Orochi battle, Bali, Monaco, and last boss stage. Music and then lack thereof; liked the Akira-esque Bali theme, Monaco lo-fi guitar.. shitty character portraits that massively improved in later entries. Definitely a compilation of KOF games would appeal more. 1 random okay kof game on a disc? Oh Simple Jack.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
I have the entire snk collection of games on my PC for free. Enjoy getting ripped off fools.:lol:
Nice custom status. Do you get that when you brag about not supporting the developers and publishers that made the platform of the site on which you're posting possible? People who buy crap like this are idiots, but they're still well above your ilk.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Ripped off? it's not like SNK is actually offering it for free on the side.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
This instead of just a single release for kof97.Hamster really has been cranking out those aca neo-geo releases id rather have just a compilation.This definitely screams a cash grab on snk&lrg part.

neofonta

Zero's Secretary
I'm sure about people who get care about physical releases are in the age 35+ & 40some, young kids don't care about having games in their shelves, they just want to play them.
About kof97 release, I'm not with a game who were released 22 years ago who is going to offer nothing new right now.

I have more expectation with the new Samurai Shodown and KOF XV.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Fun fact: SNK mashed up two traditional Balinese sounds for that stage, the kecak chant and music that accompanies the Legong dance. More info here, in post 7: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?259543-Bali-music-in-KoF97

Thank you for reposting that thread, LS! The attention to detail that SNK poured into their titles was amazing. Even though most don’t care for the direction that kof97 took in terms of theming and music, it really shows how much thought and research really went into the global tournament theme of the final chapter of the kof orochi saga.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Thanks LoneSage, I missed that thread. It was so cool to see details like that and that was definitely the first stage that comes to mind when I think of 97.

Hasuki-san

Igniz's Servent
it seems that KOF97 wasn´t the best decision for LRG. Still over 20% of inventory left after 4 days.

Hasuki-san

Igniz's Servent
but in comparison to "the good old stuff" it wasn´t good. WTF is the KING OF DINOSAURS doing there or KUKRI ? That reminds me more of Tekken or Battle Arena Toshinden, but not KOF

glazball

Pleasure Goal
10 Year Member
it seems that KOF97 wasn´t the best decision for LRG. Still over 20% of inventory left after 4 days.

Makes me happy to hear. I was an early supporter of LRG from their very first PS4 release through the end of 2017, but after the (often crappy) games kept coming week after week after week, the novelty faded and their true goals became apparent. And no, it's not preserving games in physical format. If that were truly the case, they would leave Windjammers, Wonder Boy, Night Trap, KoF '97, etc. alone since they already fucking have physical releases!