Official SNK Neo-Geo Book: NEOGEO: A VISUAL HISTORY ネオジオ〜目で楽しむ軌跡〜 (Publisher Bitmap Books)

bello

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
Mine's just arrived...

HPEm7Qu.jpg

Looks awesome,mine should arrive next friday!!!:buttrock:

frazer99

Living on the wrong, side of the Pennines,
20 Year Member
Just pre-ordered from The Book Depository (nothing beats free shipping!)

TBD are owned by Amazon. Bitmap Books may release some of the standard editions to Amazon UK but if sales are still strong direct from www.bitmapbooks.co.uk then you might be waiting a while for your pre-order.

-SD-

Camel Slug
Have to say I'm really very pleased with the book. I need to sit down with it over the weekend and have a proper look through with a cuppa, but from what I've seen so far it's very well done.

@frazer99 and the others involved: you've done an awesome job with this. And I never knew about Amazon and TBD before either...

frazer99

20 Year Member
Have to say I'm really very pleased with the book. I need to sit down with it over the weekend and have a proper look through with a cuppa, but from what I've seen so far it's very well done.

@frazer99 and the others involved: you've done an awesome job with this. And I never knew about Amazon and TBD before either...

Appreciate that -SD- I also love the britishness of that too - sitting down to have a proper look though with a cuppa.

Cheers,
Frazer

Earthquake24

Dodgeball Yakuza
I received my notification yesterday that it should arrive Monday but I had ordered all 3 versions of the book and my notice said the shipment only had 1 piece in it. I ordered each one at different times in separate orders, so I forgot to inquire about the combined shipping at the time. I hadn't received any other shipment notification so far, went ahead and emailed Bitmap Books for any info but no response yet.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I received my notification yesterday that it should arrive Monday but I had ordered all 3 versions of the book and my notice said the shipment only had 1 piece in it. I ordered each one at different times in separate orders, so I forgot to inquire about the combined shipping at the time. I hadn't received any other shipment notification so far, went ahead and emailed Bitmap Books for any info but no response yet.

Going for the full set? Smart move.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
WELL... this has been a success...

I'd like to thank Frazer... NTM and the guys that made this happen...

Maybe I should've ordered one... but I was never into books like this...

xROTx

PS. Yah... I know... I may have that signed copy coming soon... but that aint even mine:(... BUT... i will rub it all over myself... for extra provenance:p

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
WELL... this has been a success...

I'd like to thank Frazer... NTM and the guys that made this happen...

You are welcome Rot! :)

Btw, I'll be in SNK Japan next week, I should be able to post some pics all together with the book!

Massi

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Yah... I know... I may have that signed copy coming soon... but that aint even mine:(... BUT... i will rub it all over myself... for extra provenance:p
finally a good reason to enter into the raffle if/when it happens ;)

Still looking forward to receiving my copy a lot.
716238.gif

Also if anyone wants to sell his collectors/mega edition stickers hit me up!

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
You are welcome Rot! :)

Btw, I'll be in SNK Japan next week, I should be able to post some pics all together with the book!

Massi

Hah... Thanks Massi man...

I know you guys did a helluva lot of work on this... NTM complained he was too tired to watch pron for over 6 months man:(...

finally a good reason to enter into the raffle if/when it happens ;)

Heh... the raffle... unsure when that's gonna be but I think... I'll ask Shawn to pull the numbers out of the hat...

He's pretty impartial:D

xROTx

frazer99

20 Year Member
Seems like a good opportunity now the books have either landed or are on their way to thank those specifically from this forum who worked with Sam Dyer from Bitmap Books to make this happen. The book would not have been anywhere close to its final form without the expertise, time and commitment from Turfmasta and Massimiliano - researching, fact checking, scanning and uploading, translating documents, proof reading and working with photographers that were contracted for shoots in the USA, the list goes on. It was a team effort. Thanks for sticking with it guys especially in those final stages when we had to provide all the evidence for SNK!

Special thanks also to forum member Gemant (Marco) for his work on the NeoGeo Masterlist which gave the team a massive head start on working this up to the final copy. Additional thanks also BlackaneseNiNja and Fran who assisted the team with this project.

hDV48Zd.jpg

PS - even you made it Rot (we are still waiting for you to order your copy.....)

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Seems like a good opportunity now the books have either landed or are on their way to thank those specifically from this forum who worked with Sam Dyer from Bitmap Books to make this happen. The book would not have been anywhere close to its final form without the expertise, time and commitment from Turfmasta and Massimiliano - researching, fact checking, scanning and uploading, translating documents, proof reading and working with photographers that were contracted for shoots in the USA, the list goes on. It was a team effort. Thanks for sticking with it guys especially in those final stages when we had to provide all the evidence for SNK!

Special thanks also to forum member Gemant (Marco) for his work on the NeoGeo Masterlist which gave the team a massive head start on working this up to the final copy. Additional thanks also BlackaneseNiNja and Fran who assisted the team with this project.

hDV48Zd.jpg

PS - even you made it Rot (we are still waiting for you to order your copy.....)

LMAO...

You know me Frazer man... Books aint my thing...

I'm just here for the community and the scene...

When you sign the book... I'll need as well.. your Bank Details, date of birth, address... and mothers maiden name...

Kthx...:keke:

xROTx

hitorkori

Cheng's Errand Boy
Got mine yesterday thing has weight to it awesome book, the inside cover has 5 a4 size print covers in it so good might get them framed !

bloodhokuto

Меня зов
15 Year Member
Hi guys,

I received the SNK Neo book yesterday and thought I should post my initial impressions and share a couple of photos.

First of all the book was sent very well packaged - as mentioned previously the book was sent with sprung corner protectors which was a nice touch.

As for the book itself, I have to say that the content is superb, even if you have purchased the book only you are really in for a treat.

The paper stock used shows the pictures very well, a nice variety of hardware and game content on display, along with the written content represents great value, and is as good a historical journal as you could ever expect.

I would have liked more Japanese cab photos - but that's not a criticism in any way.

The only real criticism I have is with regards to the slip case and the cover of the book.

With the slip case the inside edges on the one I received don't look folded in very well. Apart from that the material used is very prone to showing any blemish, indeed despite coming in sealed peel off plastic wrap it showed some minor scuffs already. Also pressure creases were evident where the book had been stacked.

Removing the book from the case was a little fiddly - perhaps where mine had too much pressure sitting on it at one stage, and that will take its toll on the cover of the book itself.

I think that the book could have benefitted with a traditional hardback book paper cover, rather than the all in one cover that combines a hardback cover and paper print, although that would have required a re-design of the clip case. Alternatively a thicker glossier paper stock could have been used to offset the creases that are visible where the paper overlaps the hardcover material, or perhaps an underlay could have been used to make the overlap crease less visible. This is just my personal view of course.

Aside from that, the internals of the book are superb, and I could only see one page where there was a gradient change in the blacks used between the background and a scanned layer.

As for the other extras, the T-shirt looks good, the stickers are nice, and I have to be honest that I haven’t yet taken the posters out (wonder if that may have caused the extra snugness)?

I almost forgot about the pin badge, as that was packed separately bubble wrap and I thought that was just a padding spacer! Bear this in mind!

Finally, it would have been nice to have the actual a numbered letter of authenticity i.e. 28 of 330, but this latter point is really stretching it, as it is fine and is exactly what was advertised!

- - - - - - - - - - -

So to conclude, apart from my gripes over the slip case - which may just have been for my particular copy, the book is an essential purchase for hardcore Neo Fans.

It's a real indulgence, and we are lucky to have people out there that are willing to take on such a feat to document some of the history of a gaming company that is only really well know to the a small niche of hardcore (and sometimes rabid) gaming fans.

This will really help to show why we all love the Neo Geo, and is essential given the lack of historical preservation in gaming.

Anyone who loves gaming will also love this book, I dare say it would make an ideal gift and happily live on the shelves of any gamer, although ideally not just gathering dust!

UBJGeb1.jpg

hytLhrf.jpg

Some links about the creasing etc;
https://imgur.com/fVHfHBV
https://imgur.com/o3xBmDF
https://imgur.com/rV4woaW

Last edited:

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Glad people are liking it! It was great working with Frazer, Massi and Sam.

Rot, sorry, there's no noodz in the book...

joala

A Joala is for Life., Not Just Christmas.,
Just got my collectors Ed and Famicom compendium in the post.

Holy shit, the quality of this thing is unreal. Mindblowing.

That smell when you open it....

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
So I've managed to spend a little time with the book, and the first thing that stands out is the production quality (not content - I won't cover that, as many won't have got their copy yet).
The paper stock and print quality is superb, and the slip cases are very high quality too - really won't be able to comprehend any negative critiscm of these, they're that nice.

However, and this may be just my copy, pages are bound out of order and some pages are duplicated. QC went awol somewhere. It doesn't detract that much but it is a little jarring when you're looking / reading one thing and then suddenly you're repeating yourself from 5 pages ago.

Don't know who or why the stickers were thought up, but they offer nothing in my opinion - a throw away (not literally) extra.

The t-shirt looks okay, I've not unpacked it, but seems as good as the other officially licenced SNK t-shirts doing the rounds in Japan.

Overall, yeah, it's an alright coffee table book, nothing more.

38007448971_5c8a989887_c.jpg

38007449481_f3390bac46_c.jpg

frazer99

20 Year Member
So I've managed to spend a little time with the book, and the first thing that stands out is the production quality (not content - I won't cover that, as many won't have got their copy yet).
The paper stock and print quality is superb, and the slip cases are very high quality too - really won't be able to comprehend any negative critiscm of these, they're that nice.

However, and this may be just my copy, pages are bound out of order and some pages are duplicated. QC went awol somewhere. It doesn't detract that much but it is a little jarring when you're looking / reading one thing and then suddenly you're repeating yourself from 5 pages ago.

Don't know who or why the stickers were thought up, but they offer nothing in my opinion - a throw away (not literally) extra.

The t-shirt looks okay, I've not unpacked it, but seems as good as the other officially licenced SNK t-shirts doing the rounds in Japan.

Overall, yeah, it's an alright coffee table book, nothing more.

Hey Tarma, that sounds v odd with the duplicate pages etc. I'd drop Sam a line via hello@bitmapbooks.co.uk and i'm sure he'll sort a replacement book.

Frazer