5 Neo Geo games on Switch at launch

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I heard that the Switch was going to have a couple of Neo Geo games during the first month, but I have just got mine and it already has 5 for launch. They're the only 'retro' games on there for launch.

The titles are Waku Waku 7, KOF 98, Shock Troopers, World Heroes Perfect and Metal Slug 3. A damn fine selection. All priced at £6.29 each here in the UK.

I'm going to get Shock Troopers, as I already have MS3 on my PS4 and the thought of playing a fighter with the joy con is not appealing at all.

Still, pretty good for SNK. I'm sure plenty of launch buyers will try a game or two, especially as there isn't much else on the system just yet.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Thanks for the update Matt. That is good to know! I hope these titles will also be released as part of the PS4 ACA Neo Geo lineup soon too. Hopefully they make it further into the library than M2 did.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
good selection of games. really happy to see shock troopers on there.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
This over in your area or were they added more recently? I had my system up and updated around 1am last night and it just had digital copies of some retail games and I Am Setsuna up there too, that's it.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
ST is a cool inclusion, most gamers are probably not aware of it. However they should've went with X or 1 instead of 3.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
This over in your area or were they added more recently? I had my system up and updated around 1am last night and it just had digital copies of some retail games and I Am Setsuna up there too, that's it.

Got my console up and running about 10am UK time and they were on there then. Not sure about other areas, but it would be strange if the US didnt get them too.

RyoGeo

Global Moderator, Voice of Reason, Member #13
Where'd you buy yours, Matt?

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Where'd you buy yours, Matt?

Store over here called Argos. They don't do in store preorders, so I checked stock online first thing this morning and reserved one. They sold out by about 9.30am.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Just to report back. I've just been playing Shock Troopers and it's a shoddy port. Colours look washed out (think NGX) and the controls aren't as responsive as they should be.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
ST is a cool inclusion, most gamers are probably not aware of it. However they should've went with X or 1 instead of 3.

You kidding right? X marks the spot but 3 is the eyecandy for the mainstream, I think the idea is to start big so they can push the rest of the product as they go along.

Off topic...ACA NTM is on XBL!!!!!

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
You kidding right? X marks the spot but 3 is the eyecandy for the mainstream, I think the idea is to start big so they can push the rest of the product as they go along.
Nah I know, 3 makes the most sense to release first. Just talkin' shit.

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
SNK is recently releasing quite a lot of their games on current systems uh.... just saw today on PS4 a pack of few ones (aggressors of dark combat, ninja master, twinkle star sprites iirc and a couple more I think).

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Just to report back. I've just been playing Shock Troopers and it's a shoddy port. Colours look washed out (think NGX) and the controls aren't as responsive as they should be.

Weak.

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer

Has there ever been a 100% perfect port of any neo geo game? I remember being shocked SNK had used bootleg roms for the Metal Slug Anthology On PSP, but looking back pretty much every port on every system has issues. If the Neo Geo is so easy to emulate then why the shoddy ports? Just one more reason to have original hardware I suppose.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The ps3 Neo Geo station ports were excellent.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Yeah, I have been playing Metal Slug 3 on PS4 recently and that is great. This really is bad. I found the controls fine when playing using the Switch as a handheld, but when I put it on the dock to TV there was a noticeable lag.

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
Yeah, I have been playing Metal Slug 3 on PS4 recently and that is great. This really is bad. I found the controls fine when playing using the Switch as a handheld, but when I put it on the dock to TV there was a noticeable lag.

I think that's due to the 720p to 900p upscale you get when a game is docked. The switch is a Portable Wii-U, so you force it to work harder when you dock it. The exact same thing happens to the new zelda when you dock it. It runs without slowdown when you have it in handheld mode, but the second you dock it the game has slowdown.

firenze

n00b
Is KOF 98 and MS3 available in the U.S.?

Not yet. Looks like they were only available at Switch launch for Japan and EU. I would guess they'll show up in the U.S. some time in the next few weeks, typically Nintendo updates the North America online store on Thursdays.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener

Jesus Christ.

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
Not yet. Looks like they were only available at Switch launch for Japan and EU. I would guess they'll show up in the U.S. some time in the next few weeks, typically Nintendo updates the North America online store on Thursdays.

Thanks!

I'll keep my eye out for them on Thursday.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
SNK is recently releasing quite a lot of their games on current systems uh.... just saw today on PS4 a pack of few ones (aggressors of dark combat, ninja master, twinkle star sprites iirc and a couple more I think).

I just bought nam-75 digital from PSN and it's so cool to play it on PS4!!!!!!!

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Last Blade 2 on PS4 plays nice and looks decent, slight pixel mismatch...kind of a bummer that SNK can't seem to get the pixel count dot on dot, I dunno why, many other developers have.

Neo Turf Masters is on Xboner...so tempted...maybe.