100,000 + 1 things you never new about neo

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
On the show Nick Arcade, they had a last resort machine, But it wasn't an mvs.
Nick Arcade frequently had Neo Geo games. I remember Magician Lord being the first one I saw. The show did not use real arcade machines. It used consoles.

Mrandersonjr

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
You sure.? Lol, well, they had a paperboy 2 machine, and this other machine i forgot but it was some stupid game where you like jump over obstacles. Yeah it isn't an mvs, or, if it is ( i didn't get a good look @ the controller) Then why didn't they go with different designs, and is it me, or is that host really annoying when your trying to play? "come on you couldn't do it maybe next time, yeah you heard me i said maybe next time alright!" They were cheap machines but it would be sweet to own one. lol Ok, to stay on topic here, The neo geo aes is a finger print magnet.:D oh yeah and also, those kids suck at games.....

Last edited:

Mrandersonjr

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Functional props lol....Yeah, i know they r consoles inside a cabinet. You can play mvs carts on an aes with a phantom-1 converter..

TLH

Zero's Secretary
Did you know that the late great Sega Saturn magazine (UK only publication) has an article on the demise of SNK and the Neo Geo home consol. Not only does the know defunct Saturn magazine refer to the Neo as one of the greatest systems of all time, but also the article acknowledges the impact the demise of the Neo home consol will have on the gaming world. Strange talk from a competitor SEGA!

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
Did you know that the late great Sega Saturn magazine (UK only publication) has an article on the demise of SNK and the Neo Geo home consol. Not only does the know defunct Saturn magazine refer to the Neo as one of the greatest systems of all time, but also the article acknowledges the impact the demise of the Neo home consol will have on the gaming world. Strange talk from a competitor SEGA!

Which number SSM? I have most, but didn't spot that.

SSM were always keen to mention KOF games amongst others. Good times.

JDIAMOND

n00b
Yea, I was told by someone on the "inside" back in the day. In kinda explains the slowdown and small amount of memory the team was allotted. They were trying to impress SNK even with little memory to work with (henceforth the slowdown). You can defiantly see some Capcom in Last Resort.. I remember Last Resort was hard to get a hold of at one time. I remember I bought my copy from company called "Dragon Video", they were based in North Carolina. I wanted it so bad that I didn’t care that the case was in horrendous condition. This was in 1995.

Damn , I miss those days.

TheLastTrin

NEST Puppet
Not that this is particularly awesomely special information, but the current japanese SNK marketing motto is "ドキ!ドキ!ドキ!" or "doki! doki! doki!"

Doki doki is an onomatopoeia that is meant to be the sound of a beating heart. In japanese, doki doki basically means something that is exciting or causes a rise in heart rate. The point of the third doki in the SNK motto is that it's more exciting than anything else.

That's why in the ads, the voiceover says "doki doki......doki?"

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
You used to be able to purchase new Neo Geo carts at Babbages aka Gamestop

Add to that list Macy's, The Wiz as well as Electronics Boutique (that's where I got my first Gold system at).

The flyers/magazines registered owners got from SNK USA had a more complete list on the back page.

Retrogamer

Troller of Old Men,
20 Year Member
When the electronics superstore "Incredible Universe" was going out of business they sold Neo Geo AES systems for 50$ brand new.

TLH

Zero's Secretary
I can't believe this thread is still going strong. Neo Turfmasters is still one of my favorite MVS titles. Can't afford the AES version. That said, if you select the long hitter Mandel, there are several short cuts to albatrosses and even hole in ones. One such adventure is the Island shot on the Austrailian course. By hitting a full hard shot at the (lowest point) highest trajectory, the ball will bounce off the island and roll across the green nearest the pin. Your next shot will be for Albatross.. Oh yeah, practice makes perfect. If done just right the graphics get really strange. This is kinda like an Easter Egg Neo style.

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
In Pulstar, anyone ever notice how the default high scores are the chassis codes of Japanese cars?
-R32 (Nissan Skyline R32)
-Z32 (Nissan 300ZX Z32)
-FD3 (Mazda RX7 FD3S)
-JZA (Supra MkIII/IV JZA70/JZA80)
-NSX (Honda/Acura NSX)

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
I can't believe this thread is still going strong. Neo Turfmasters is still one of my favorite MVS titles. Can't afford the AES version. That said, if you select the long hitter Mandel, there are several short cuts to albatrosses and even hole in ones. One such adventure is the Island shot on the Austrailian course. By hitting a full hard shot at the (lowest point) highest trajectory, the ball will bounce off the island and roll across the green nearest the pin. Your next shot will be for Albatross.. Oh yeah, practice makes perfect. If done just right the graphics get really strange. This is kinda like an Easter Egg Neo style.

I've done the island bounce with others somewhat by accident. If hit about 100% and aim for the middle of the green (to the right of the hole) you can sometimes get a good bounce with the next skip being on the green. Cool stuff. Havne't really noticed a graphics change, although maybe I'm not doing it the same.

Hmm... On Turf Masters... is 458 yards the maximum drive (can it be that long)? I was playing around with the jukebox with it and got way up high and hit one that had this weird ding noise and they guy saying 458 yards followed by some celebratory sounding music..?

Last edited:
B

brucelee303

I think it should be enough.because all things is in this game

Spion

New Challenger
Anyone post the Neo CD pads are slightly different. The Neo-Geo stamping is spaced slightly differently from the ones that came with front loader and the top loader.

Also could buy AES gold at "Kiddie City" back in the day.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
The hotel units arcade sticks have start and select the other way around :)

Grizz9567

Crossed Swords Squire
I used to rent them from Blockbuster Video!
They had systems and games...

Well, in the back of the manual for some dog tag carts, it says, "This product can only be used on the NEO GEO Rental System."

Perhaps because of the high price it was used mainly as a rental machine?
If so, I wonder where you could have went to rent one...

<small>[ January 29, 2003, 10:33 PM: Message edited by: Cnidarian ]</small>

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
Let me do a small, worthless contribution:

When the 16bit era started, "play by time" became a very common business at the game rental stores, since the Mega Drive, Super Nintendo and the Neo where uber expensive here in Brazil.

Of course, the Neo was something that distinguished a store from the competitors: the first games I played on the Neo were Burning Fight (or "that game like Final Fight", as it was known), Cyberlip, and later Fatal Fury - that was a big sucess since it was a "SF2"-like game. People crowded the stores to see the someone playing. Some of those stores would rent you the whole console + games for a weekend, but it would cost an arm and a leg.

At that time, Neo stuff were all imported. Later the MVS came, bringing World Heroes and Samurai Shodown, when SNK got officially represented in Brazil - that's why several older carts have the Portuguese language option ;)

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I met the guy responsible for marketing the neogeo home and mvs systems in the UK when it was released over here. But I didn't know it was him until I came home. I would have totally performed a waynes world 'we're not worthy' worship if I'd had known :crying: