Model 1 Sega Genesis Vertical Banding Video Images.

NexusX

Astra Superstar
Hey all,

I have had a few Genisis/MD consoles over the years but the recent Model 1 that I have has had these vertical bands on the video output. I love the model 1 over the 2 any day but this is a constant quality problem. Could this be dried out capacitors? Or is it another reason? My Model 2 doesn't show them when in use on the same game cart. I will add some pics once I get to my PC.
(upload pics are being a pain so I will be back with them once I get them using a format this site likes)
Any input would be welcomed.
Thank you

Last edited:

NexusX

Astra Superstar
Could be jailbars too. I do know some Genesis have rainbow banding as well.

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showth...-good-Genesis-1s-and-Genesis-2s-from-bad-ones

A lot of these Genesis model 1's are reaching well over 25 years old and are well known to need cap replacements (similar to game gears). It may fix the problem if it is Rainbow Banding and not jailbars.

I have seen a bit of rainbow banding on this console already but not much. Bands slowly roll upnthe image on the screen at a very faint visible distortion. I have run into that over the years with Model 1 consoles.

Composite or RF?

Composite. My eyes can't handle RF.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I have seen a bit of rainbow banding on this console already but not much. Bands slowly roll upnthe image on the screen at a very faint visible distortion. I have run into that over the years with Model 1 consoles.

Composite. My eyes can't handle RF.

Composite is hit or miss on any stock Genesis system.

FBX

Quiz Detective
After I went RGB, I simply refuse to go back to that awful composite video standard. It's such a stain that it even tried to mess with my model 1 Genesis, where the CXA was throwing jail bars into the blue line of the RGB output. Turns out it was from composite video processing in the chip that was coupling over into the blue line right next to it. I severed the video trace to pin 6 and it instantly cleared the RGB picture to a perfect image.

NexusX

Astra Superstar
After I went RGB, I simply refuse to go back to that awful composite video standard. It's such a stain that it even tried to mess with my model 1 Genesis, where the CXA was throwing jail bars into the blue line of the RGB output. Turns out it was from composite video processing in the chip that was coupling over into the blue line right next to it. I severed the video trace to pin 6 and it instantly cleared the RGB picture to a perfect image.

Ya I read that the Composite chip was the problem with RGB jail bars on the model 1. Although I didn't want to dump the time and money into getting native RGB out of my US Genesis. I would be happy with just a clean composite image but that looks like it is not going to be an easy task. But I do have one question... If it is just signal interference from on line to another in close proximity, do you think if I add a bypass wire to extend the space between those lines could that clean up that interference?

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
A rolling hum bar like that is probably from your power supply. Try another if possible.

FBX

Quiz Detective
Although I didn't want to dump the time and money into getting native RGB out of my US Genesis.

It's incredible. Probably one of the sharpest and cleanest RGB pictures of any console (at least on mine after the jail bar fix). But alas, it is expensive on a modern display to get it looking good. Typically you'd need a Framemeister since most modern displays do a poor job of upscaling 240p content (if they work with it at all). If you prefer gaming on a CRT, you can get a PVM and then get a SCART to BNC breakout cable to hook into the SCART RGB cable for the Genesis. I've got both a PVM and a Framemeister going. That way I can switch to the PVM at a moment's notice for light gun games for example.

NexusX

Astra Superstar
Ya I read that the Composite chip was the problem with RGB jail bars on the model 1. Although I didn't want to dump the time and money into getting native RGB out of my US Genesis. I would be happy with just a clean composite image but that looks like it is not going to be an easy task. But I do have one question... If it is just signal interference from one line to another in close proximity, do you think if I add a bypass wire to extend the space between those lines could that clean up that interference?

Can anyone add in their opinion on the bypass wire idea? I just hate to go cutting original hardware if it isn't needed.

Last edited:

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
Another solution would be to pick up the HD Retrovison component cables. It does a fantastic job and puts out a sharp, clean picture with great color. Perfect for CRT's or modern TV's that can handle a 240p signal.

NexusX

Astra Superstar
Another solution would be to pick up the HD Retrovison component cables. It does a fantastic job and puts out a sharp, clean picture with great color. Perfect for CRT's or modern TV's that can handle a 240p signal.

I have been keeping my eye out for those cables and they are sold out every time.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member

Is there a tutorial on this somewhere?

FBX

Quiz Detective

They are great for CRTs, but be warned on modern displays it is hit or miss how well it works. Most displays that work with it treat the 240p signal as 480i, which causes the graphics to look garbled during movement or animation. There's also the issue of internal upscaling being handled by the display poorly, leaving the picture looking smudgy and lagged.

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
They are great for CRTs, but be warned on modern displays it is hit or miss how well it works. Most displays that work with it treat the 240p signal as 480i, which causes the graphics to look garbled during movement or animation. There's also the issue of internal upscaling being handled by the display poorly, leaving the picture looking smudgy and lagged.

Agreed. I believe HD Retrovision has a FAQ on their website to test wether your HDTV supports a 240p signal. If your TV can handle it, it's a relatively inexpensive and simple solution.

NexusX

Astra Superstar
Can anyone add in their opinion on the bypass wire idea? I just hate to go cutting original hardware if it isn't needed.

Well I am gonna try out a bypass wire on the composite chip and see if that fixes the interference. I will post the outcome and pics if it actually works.

nornor1

NEST Puppet
if you do go the RGB route, there is a seller on ebay that makes the scart cables for pretty much every console. they make one that gets rid of jailbars for the genesis. It works because I bought one of them :). then you would need a Scart to Component adapter. then into your CRT/Lcd. its as close to RGB you will get. looks great.

that would be the cheapest without getting into video scaler $$$.