The Neo Geo's Compatibility with Your TV

Notice a wobbly juddering effect on still screens with my neo aes and sega saturn , both running through rgb

Video above , if you look at the text you can see it wobbling , any idea what's causing this ?

Last edited:

nam9

Zero's Secretary
MVS: MV-1FZ
Sony KDL 32U2000 (LCD)
Cropped image (see below) Lose one line of grid pattern on the left and slight sync issue across top...

IMAG0484.jpg

nam9

Zero's Secretary
Sync issue (above) fixed by adding 220ohm resistor to sync line in scart cable (same as R,G&B lines) - 1K - 5K resulted in same problem.

feykro

n00b
Hi guys ! I'm new so I can't post new threads, I hope you can help me with something !
I have a Neo Geo AES with high serial ( 250.000 something) and a 6-3 motherboard and here's my problem in picture : http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/34...8052144011.jpg
http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/21...8052144081.jpg
So I don't know what action to take, I've been link to a series of tutorial but I couldn't " clearly " find an ansewer to my question. My image is really far from being as I expected from the gameplay I've seen on youtube.
If you need any more data, tell me.
Thank you in advance !
( tested on a 2004 sharp tv and a more recent orion through a Scart-to-HDMI converter )

GTRetro87

Kabuki Klasher
Can't really see your images :\

However, although my 2008 Panasonic Viera Plasma works very well in all JROK encoder outputs, especially component (with NeoGeo component only, not other Jamma games)..

I had picked up a JVC 24" I'Art CRT (24F703) and that baby works VERY nicely with all video outputs! All I have to do now is somehow add a female Scart socket in the back of the TV and mod the chassis to work with RGB :D.. maybe lol

Ugh... feels so good to see scanlines <3 <3 <3

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
MV-1FZ working great on a Sony BVM 14M4DE through RGB.

Right now I have 75Ω resistors in line on RGB but it looks like the image is slightly too bright. I have some 83Ω resistors I can use to see if they manage to make the image a bit darker.

Nothing on the sync line.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
MVS: MV-1FZ
Sony KDL 32U2000 (LCD)
Cropped image (see below) Lose one line of grid pattern on the left and slight sync issue across top...

View attachment 25143

EDIT - just noticed your TV is a LCD so the below is not relevant. Get a Scart RGB CRT - in Norway you should have plenty available on the cheap.

To me this does not seem to be a sync but a geometry adjustment issue. If this is one of the newer Sony CRT TV's you can try entering service mode (usually something like pressing {DISPLAY} {5} {VOL+} {POWER} on the remote when the TV is in standby mode and playing around with the settings. These are the adjustment settings for my TV:

sony settings.jpg

If its an older CRT than adjustments can be made by way of pots inside the TV.

Last edited:

MidnightAbyss

Mr. Big's Thug
MVS with Neobitz-S

Sony PVM 20N2U CRT
Samsung UN40FH6030F LCD

MVS looks great on both S-Video and Composite on both TVs. Image has a little bit of rainbow effect on some areas when using Composite but from what I understand this is pretty ordinary.

Just bought a Sony PVM-20, notice that there is some flicker / wobbly lines in the top 1/2" or so of the picture. Only happens in very specific parts of each game. For example, in World Heroes 2, it happens only on Rasputin's stage.

I was thinking a sync issue, but if that were the case I should see it always, not just certain scenes ?

Last edited:
Ok the wobbly lines issue I mentioned above only happens with US version AES. I tried two US versions (both low serial num) they both have the problem, also tried two Japanese version (high serial nums) and no wobbly lines. ?

In case it's relevant...I'm using a JP-21 RGB cable out from the Neo, then running it through an adapter cable so I can plug into the BNC connectors on the Sony PVM.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Ok the wobbly lines issue I mentioned above only happens with US version AES. I tried two US versions (both low serial num) they both have the problem, also tried two Japanese version (high serial nums) and no wobbly lines. ?

In case it's relevant...I'm using a JP-21 RGB cable out from the Neo, then running it through an adapter cable so I can plug into the BNC connectors on the Sony PVM.

Did you replace the caps on the RGB output with the proper 470uf ones?

Paddo080

n00b
Firstly hello. I'm new to the forum and before I start I would like to apoligise as I have more than likely posted this in the wrong place and due to restrictions am quite limited to what I can do. I am very new to the aes but have always wanted one. I bought one a little while ago and I have noticed that there is a lot of red to the picture. The sprites change colour whilst playing from there normal colour to red. I will try add a picture to help show a little more on what I mean. Would I be right I. Saying replacing the video caps should resolve this issue? Or is it or could be something a little more challenging? Again thanks for your replies and thank you for allowing to post on this forum.

GTRetro87

Kabuki Klasher
Firstly hello. I'm new to the forum and before I start I would like to apoligise as I have more than likely posted this in the wrong place and due to restrictions am quite limited to what I can do. I am very new to the aes but have always wanted one. I bought one a little while ago and I have noticed that there is a lot of red to the picture. The sprites change colour whilst playing from there normal colour to red. I will try add a picture to help show a little more on what I mean. Would I be right I. Saying replacing the video caps should resolve this issue? Or is it or could be something a little more challenging? Again thanks for your replies and thank you for allowing to post on this forum.

What kind of TV and what input are you using?? Give details here and plenty will be able to help guide you

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach

That'll be something else. The Neo-Geo's DAC doesn't have any caps on the output. Take a picture of what you're seeing, it may be a color RAM error.

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
I can't really say anything looks wrong in the picture. In SamSho characters turn red as part of combat... it wasn't that, was it?

turbosage

Zero's Secretary
15 Year Member
I have a consolized MVS that I recently picked up from Italy (eBay) that had a SCART output. I purchased an albeit cheap S-Video/AV adapter that I had hoped would be my answer for connecting it to my Sony PVM that has S-Video inputs. However, the best I can get so far is just the audio. I assume I need something more of an encoder or XRGB rather than just an S-Video/AV adapter that I slapped on the SCART connection in this pic-

IMG_20160420_0710521_zpsembezfg6.jpg

This is the original Auction for the CMVS I purchased. Any advice on what route I should go to play this in S-Video or otherwise? :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MVS-CONSOLI...lXWODfmBpRv2rv1uBOtvM%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I have a consolized MVS that I recently picked up from Italy (eBay) that had a SCART output. I purchased an albeit cheap S-Video/AV adapter that I had hoped would be my answer for connecting it to my Sony PVM that has S-Video inputs. However, the best I can get so far is just the audio. I assume I need something more of an encoder or XRGB rather than just an S-Video/AV adapter that I slapped on the SCART connection in this pic-

View attachment 35274

This is the original Auction for the CMVS I purchased. Any advice on what route I should go to play this in S-Video or otherwise? :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MVS-CONSOLI...lXWODfmBpRv2rv1uBOtvM%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

In this case it is very likely the scart socket is only wired for RGB. Simply plugging in an adapter like that is pretty much doing nothing but you don't need an encoder of any sort if you have a Sony PVM. (unless your PVM doesn't have RGB inputs, what model do you have?) You will need a scart rgb to BNC cable like this.
https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/male-rgb-break-out-scart-to-4-x-bnc--2-x-rca-converter-cable

Last edited: