Neo Geo X Gold System details and price announced!

slerch666

updyke,
Someone needs to check out the ad card. Pcs may not recognize it or say it needs to be formatted but the files aren't invisible.

Fire up like FlashFXP and open it up to see if it can view the contents.

I've put this into my laptop a few times. Even when you get the message about it needing to be formatted, you can't see the data.

I've tried file recovery software. It doesn't seem to be a simple password protection.

Would need someone with more knowledge than I to dig deeper.

FlashFXP

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
With everyone saying how cool the stick feels but not so good the quality on the TV, its ashame you cant plug the stick into a port so could put it on a table and play,

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
HDMI either works or it doesn't. There is no variance in quality of picture based on the cable itself.

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
HDMI either works or it doesn't. There is no variance in quality of picture based on the cable itself.

+1

all this talk about cables etc is kinda crazy. It's a shit picture folks. Messing around with different HDMI cables/TVs/Scalers/post processors wont really help.

Maybe they will address it with an update, maybe they wont. Right now its an awesome little handheld for your NeoGeo fix that shouldnt ever replace your AES/CMVS in the living room

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member

Correct. Digital signal will either work or it won't. The concept of better quality cables only really applies to analog. Only degradation possible is possible interference depending on what power cables or other devices you may have near the HDMI cable, but that is usually a result of a poorly shielded HDMI cable. Also, interference will be pretty evident (scrolling lines, static etc.) on the display.

As others have said, if the PQ for HDMI in general is bad for the X, a different HDMI cable won't help.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
DeDoesn't work on a PVM? Is it a resolution issue? Encryption?

I can't tell, and there is very little documentation, but the best I can tell is that the box doesn't convert the signal at all, so if the HDMI source is 480p, the TV needs to be able to accept 480p through component. An EDTV might work, but my SDTV will not. A PVM? I have no idea.

That kind of sucks, I was hoping it would do some kind of conversion since the application description they give on the site talks about hooking a HDMI bluray player to an "old" TV. I guess they didn't mean CRTs!

Last edited:

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
So far out of the available games, SS2 is the only one I really care for....besides metal slug the rest seem kinda unplayable imo.

Hopefully someone can hack this thing or add a unibios so I can play the game in english with blood, fatalities, and a glitchy kuroko/mizuki in single player. :p

FUUMA

Marked Wolf
Has anyone tried the HDMI connection directly to the handheld without the dock? Just wonder if the poor TV output could be how the dock handles it.

This was the way I was playing and it looked great on my TV, I haven't played through the dock yet

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
Yes, yes, HDMI works or it doesn't or has very noticeable problems like flickering/static pixels or bad lines.

Side note, just got my first unit about an hour ago. Man the composite is dark.

However bigger bummer for me... the PS3 NeoCD pads don't work! :crying: Heard that the PS3 Neo stick works so that raised my hopes. Will try that stick next for myself.

NeoCD.jpg

PS3 Neo stick works well as expected... Balltop is bigger on the PS3 stick. Shaft is also silver on the PS3. The top surface is also a bit smoother than the NGX, but not as smooth as a real AES stick. Though I like the texturing on the NGX stick.

ps3.jpg

Last edited:

Jack Burton

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Mine will be here in a few days. I'm most looking forward to trying the composite with my xrgb-2.

SCANLINES!!!!!!! :)

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
Mine will be here in a few days. I'm most looking forward to trying the composite with my xrgb-2.

SCANLINES!!!!!!! :)

Haha, that's right. I could whip out my XRGB for scanlines on this sucker on an HDTV. I don't recall, I've only ever used the J21pin input. It did have composite in right?

Lectoid

n00b
Long time lurker, first time poster here. I took one for the team. For now I'm not digging any deeper than this, but the battery is soldered directly to the board.
Photo%20Dec%2018%2C%209%2002%2001%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Dec%2018%2C%209%2002%2021%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Dec%2018%2C%209%2002%2047%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Dec%2018%2C%209%2002%2053%20PM.jpg

Lectoid

n00b
Also when I plug the NGX in to my windows 7 laptop, while powered off, it comes up as a removable disk. Total capacity is .99GB (or 1 gig). and 156MB is in use.

Inside is one file, "sys_update_file". I opened it in word expecting the usual gibberish but my notepad stopped responding.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
ScreenShot2012-12-19at12818PM_zps506f6725.png

Very interesting. Looks like dedicated 3.3v for WiFi, at least printed on the board.

nerdstick

Crossed Swords Squire
FAQ update

During playback on the NEOGEO X handheld, there is sound but no image on the screen.
Did you turn off the NEOGEO X from the Station before removing it? Always turn off the NEOGEO X when connecting and disconnecting the Handheld from the Station. Firstly, please press “+” on the Brightness controllers to ensure that the screen is correctly lit. If there is still no image on screen, a soft re-set of the NEOGEO X may be necessary. To do this connect the NEOGEO X to the Station (in the standard way, with both the NEOGEO X and the Station switched off). Then turn on the Station and the NEOGEO X and please leave alone for 20 minutes for the soft re-set cycle to be completed. You will see NEOGEO X is charging when the light appears on the handheld when you open the Station. After 20 minutes your NEOGEO X should be ready to play!

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Correct. Digital signal will either work or it won't. The concept of better quality cables only really applies to analog. Only degradation possible is possible interference depending on what power cables or other devices you may have near the HDMI cable, but that is usually a result of a poorly shielded HDMI cable. Also, interference will be pretty evident (scrolling lines, static etc.) on the display.

As others have said, if the PQ for HDMI in general is bad for the X, a different HDMI cable won't help.

Not necessarily. I had a lot of trouble with my 360 to my TV until I updated to better (not equating more expensive, mind you) and faster cables from monoprice. There were frame issues and problems especially while playing HD-DVD video back in the day. Likewise, most of the guys at monoprice seem to agree that not getting the right speed of cable will cause weirdness in your picture. It sure as hell won't hurt to drop $2 on a new cable from monoprice to see if it improves anything. If I'm having problems, I'll give it a shot and report to all if it makes any improvement.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I gave my local Gamestop a call to see if mine had arrived and the guy working there was like "Did that actually release? Are you sure? I didn't know! Yeah see it says here in your reservation that it has a street date in april." and I was like, uhh the Gold bundle? It came out on tuesday. It was then he informed me that they had put my reservation down for the handheld that comes out next year, not the LE bundle :oh_no:

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I gave my local Gamestop a call to see if mine had arrived and the guy working there was like "Did that actually release? Are you sure? I didn't know! Yeah see it says here in your reservation that it has a street date in april." and I was like, uhh the Gold bundle? It came out on tuesday. It was then he informed me that they had put my reservation down for the handheld that comes out next year, not the LE bundle :oh_no:

Ouch... Well, with the way this thread has turned, that may turn out to be the better one to own ;) Seems everyone loves it as a handheld.

mr_e

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Long time lurker, first time poster here. I took one for the team. For now I'm not digging any deeper than this, but the battery is soldered directly to the board.
Photo%20Dec%2018%2C%209%2002%2001%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Dec%2018%2C%209%2002%2021%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Dec%2018%2C%209%2002%2047%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Dec%2018%2C%209%2002%2053%20PM.jpg

That's a hardware hacker wet dream. Everything clearly labeled, pads for everything. Nice.

HitokiriRyu

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
Ok, this may be of use to someone who is more familiar with Linux. If you hold the start button while plugging the handheld into a pc it comes up as a JZ4770 USB Boot Device.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member

I don't understand why people still goto gamestop. The customer service sucks. The employees suck. The games are more expensive. They are a collectors worst nightmare, they put price stickers on manuals and inserts. They sell used games as new and claim that it's just a open boxed game that was never played. Please do yourself a favor and stay away from these douchebags.

toodles

Zero's Secretary
Ok, this may be of use to someone who is more familiar with Linux. If you hold the start button while plugging the handheld into a pc it comes up as a JZ4770 USB Boot Device.
Sweet, that means android/linux installations over the original firmware should be a breeze. Im gonna see if the original firmware can be read as soon as I can find the usbtools zip for that chip.