margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
The titles of the SFIII games are:

Street Fighter III: New Generation
Street Fighter III 2nd Impact: Giant Attack
Street Fighter III 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future

indierocklocks

Geese's Thug
I'm just going to start listing the names of the Mortal Kombat games, because, you know...it has relevance to this thread.

ST>SS2>SSF2

Side note, people who hate on Third Strike are the worst. ST and 3s are both amazing games.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Side note, people who hate on Third Strike are the worst. ST and 3s are both amazing games.

To clarify, I have nothing against Third Strike at all. But the ratio of people who say it's omg the best to the people who actually play it is the worst of maybe any game.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
^ Mahvel fans might be worse though I can flip a coin on which are more annoying. Both live in an imaginary universe where their game is accepted as the greatest of all time.

I love the hell out of SVC Chaos and KOF 98 UM but f'n know better to think they are the best.

How do you know Third Strike is someone's favorite game? Don't worry, they'll tell you.

A well-abused joke, but funny the first time it was heard regarding vegans/vegetarians... The exact same can be said about Super Turbo fanboys.

Either you learned to adapt to 3rd Strike or you regressed back to Super Turbo when you couldn't find success with the depth of 3rd Strike. Both are amazing fighters. #1 and #2 in my book. However, if you're at least a semi-serious serious SF player, you know 3rd Strike takes the top spot with Super Turbo coming in 2nd. Just the way of the world.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
^ Technically 3rd Strike is the only game where the yahoos all band together. For the Mahvel fans they are split between 2 & Ultimate 3. SFII fans split their loyalties between 'HF & Super Turbo. I would say that makes 3rd Strike the worst but the Mahvel fans are crazier.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
A well-abused joke, but funny the first time it was heard regarding vegans/vegetarians... The exact same can be said about Super Turbo fanboys.

Either you learned to adapt to 3rd Strike or you regressed back to Super Turbo when you couldn't find success with the depth of 3rd Strike. Both are amazing fighters. #1 and #2 in my book. However, if you're at least a semi-serious serious SF player, you know 3rd Strike takes the top spot with Super Turbo coming in 2nd. Just the way of the world.
I would say the SFIII series are the best SF games, followed by SFA2, then after that maybe Super Turbo or SFA3. SF2T is better in some ways than SSF2T, but it doesn't have as much character balance.

Last edited:

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Vampire Savior vs Super Street Fighter 2

To answer the 1st question both Samurai Shodown II and Super Street Fighter II are good games but are really early in the 2d fighting game history. Both had a lot of limitations and issues, but are still fun to this day. I personally prefer SF 'HF over SSFIIT but between SSII and SSFIIT I prefer SSII. It a lot deeper.

Vampire Savior vs SSFII is not really a fair fight. There's just too much time in between both games. It's like saying which is better Wolfenstein 3d or Halo. Vampire Savior is probably the deepest mechanic game Capcom ever had in the arcade era. Street Fighter II series is a classic, but the 1st classic. Playable, yes, but simplistic compared to the future games. If you like the classic more power to you, but understand it's something most consider old and outdated. Hell most consider everything before SFIV ancient. I guess I'm just a relic.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Close call. Very different games and both are amazing, but I'd have to go with VS2 for the greater depth of gameplay and multiple cool EX/ES moves per character.
Isn't Vampire Saviour 2 of those games (like Darkstalkers, X-Men vs Street Fighter, etc) with crazy special moves? No way are those games better than the traditional 2D fighters.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
No way are those games better than the traditional 2D fighters.

Glad your opinion is yours.

In 1994 your perfect genre of traditional fighters was over-saturated. For an arcade environment most ppl stuck to what was already known, OP wise and player wise.

The original Darkstalkers brought Air blocking and EX specials to Capcom's fighting genre to specifically not be a re-skinned Street Fighter.

So different it made the VS era and even the SF Alpha series got Air blocking.

Which hilarious as you state this:
I would say the SFIII series are the best SF games, followed by SFA2, then after that maybe Super Turbo or SFA3.

Last edited:

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Glad your opinion is yours.

In 1994 your perfect genre of traditional fighters was over-saturated. For an arcade environment most ppl stuck to what was already known, OP wise and player wise.

The original Darkstalkers brought Air blocking and EX specials to Capcom's fighting genre to specifically not be a re-skinned Street Fighter.

So different it made the VS era and even the SF Alpha series got Air blocking.

Which hilarious as you state this:
SFA2 was one of the best SF games, but I'm not sure air blocking was a good thing. Personally I'd say it was good for SFA (which was based on lost of small hits anyway), but the SFIII games didn't have it.
The SF2 and SFA series were getting somewhat stale, in the sense that people had already learnt the characters (ie, they had learnt the ones they needed to know, Ryu, Ken and Guile). Whenever I played the SF2 or SFA series in the arcade, the other guy always chose Ken (never Ryu or Akuma), even on games where Guile really dominated like SF2 and Super SF2. Whether that meant Ken was the best, I don't know, but he was a good all-rounder. Maybe they knew something about Ken that I didn't. Ken was tough to beat, when you were playing against a human, rather than the computer, and he had an invincible dragon. I think even if they had the choice of picking Shin Akuma, they still would have picked Ken.

Last edited:

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
SFA2 was one of the best SF games, but I'm not sure air blocking was a good thing. Personally I'd say it was good for SFA (which was based on lost of small hits anyway), but the SFIII games didn't have it.

SFIII: You can parry in the air, there is still an air mechanic in place.

I think you fail to see the point. Progression of a genre through its tried and tested fight systems, mechanics, and not solely bound within it's IP.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
you fucking faggots ruined a potentially Ok thread, thanks a lot

anyways

ss2 is the best

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Aren't derailed threads just the best?
The thread is trying to compare SS2 to SSF2. But SSF2T is generally considered the best of the SF2 series (aside from, perhaps, earlier games in the series, like SF2T). So why not compare the best of the Samurai Shodown series (SS2) to the best of the SF2 series (SSF2T)?

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
The thread is trying to compare SS2 to SSF2. But SSF2T is generally considered the best of the SF2 series (aside from, perhaps, earlier games in the series, like SF2T). So why not compare the best of the Samurai Shodown series (SS2) to the best of the SF2 series (SSF2T)?
Why? Is SS2 better than SSIV?

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Why? Is SS2 better than SSIV?
SS2 is generally considered to be better than SS4. But it's arguable. SSV and SSVS are definitely the worst games in the series. Personally, I prefer SS1 and SS4, as they include Tam Tam.