The struggle to not cash in on Neo Geo AES consoles and games..

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
Yep and when it's been download only for a decade there will be a second 'retro' coming for that physical world that is no more. Mark my words.

That would be absolutely reasonable. I can see that.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
Yep and when it's been download only for a decade there will be a second 'retro' coming for that physical world that is no more. Mark my words.

We’re already seeing this with the success of stuff like Limited Run

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
We’re already seeing this with the success of stuff like Limited Run

I think once limited run, strictly limited etc have no physical medium to support their business model and sufficient time has passed they'll become desirable.

At the moment though? Nah, those games end up on ebay not long after release.

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
Limited Run shit is incredibly niche. It's pissing in the ocean.

You're naive if you think anyone will remember anything except the most popular video games like 100 years now.

If you want a sneak peak, all you have to do is look at those dumb top 100s lists that people put together. You basically never see Samurai Shodown 2, Puzzle Bobble, or Metal Slug in them. Most of the best games are already being forgotten because people just include Tetris or Mario or whatever shit made it into pop culture.

In the grand scheme of things, the Neo Geo wasn't even that popular. SNK always played second fiddle to companies like Sega and Capcom.

Yamazaki

Belnar Institute Student
15 Year Member
You're naive if you think anyone will remember anything except the most popular video games like 100 years now.

100 years from now on mankind will most likely sit again in mud huds and smear feces on their faces in order to please the forest gods....

LonelyWarbler

Crazed MVS Addict
Limited Run shit is incredibly niche. It's pissing in the ocean.

If you want a sneak peak, all you have to do is look at those dumb top 100s lists that people put together. You basically never see Samurai Shodown 2, Puzzle Bobble, or Metal Slug in them. Most of the best games are already being forgotten because people just include Tetris or Mario or whatever shit made it into pop culture.

In the grand scheme of things, the Neo Geo wasn't even that popular. SNK always played second fiddle to companies like Sega and Capcom.

The mass market won't remember. Most gamers can't tell you what they played last week much less a decade ago. Collectors will always exist, especially of exotic pieces of gaming culture. I bet you can't even name the most popular postage stamps in the world but last year there were at least 30 stamp sold for over 500k USD at auction and like 4 or 5 that passed the million dollar mark. The marginal utility of money drops as income increases. Rich people dgaf about dropping cash for rare and esoteric items.

LonelyWarbler

Crazed MVS Addict
I dunno about that, but attend an auction sometime. You would be surprised at the breadth of weird shit that sells for 6-8 figures.

Yamazaki

Belnar Institute Student
15 Year Member
Sorry but no - wanna keep for when I have guests at home here in Germany.

make them remember the good old times and forget for a moment about the evils of this century.

bulbousbeard

The mass market won't remember. Most gamers can't tell you what they played last week much less a decade ago. Collectors will always exist, especially of exotic pieces of gaming culture. I bet you can't even name the most popular postage stamps in the world but last year there were at least 30 stamp sold for over 500k USD at auction and like 4 or 5 that passed the million dollar mark. The marginal utility of money drops as income increases. Rich people dgaf about dropping cash for rare and esoteric items.

That's the thing, though. Neo Geo games really aren't rare. Even the supposedly valuable games exist in the thousands. It's all much ado about nothing. Given time, there are going to be fewer people interested in them than there are copies floating around.

Yamazaki

Belnar Institute Student
15 Year Member
lol

sorry b2b gotta go out and find those Metal Slug 1 US AES games that exist in the thousands....

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member

It's funny you quote Stamps, as that market is actually on the decline. And so are many other aging collectibles.
Do you think people will pay a premium for Country Western toys in the next decade? Probably not. The people that grew up watching GunSmoke are aging fast, and millennials DGAF about the wild wild west. Western memorabilia is crashing hard right now. Old Train sets? same thing. Kids never played with trains, nor are they enamored with trains.

How many kids from the 16bit era collect for Atari 2600? I don't. And the market for 2600 is also on the decline. Those collectors are in their 50's and 60's now.
We are the kids who grew up with Neo Geo, SNES, Genesis, etc.... Most of us are in our late 30's to 40's and have money. I don't think people will be as rabid for this stuff in 10 years.

This is the general trend for lots of collectible toys. Another example... Matchbox and HotWheels. That market is on the downward slope.

It is a fantastic time to sell 16bit era games. There's probably still some money to squeeze out of them, but it's a terrible time to "invest".

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
social media would only drive short term speculative market changes. It won't make a generation of people want game cartridges.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I'm not gonna front, I dont give a shit about collecting anymore but the Neo Geo Aes carts are probably the coolest video game stuff to collect. It's so unique. The big carts, big cases, small/big manuals, old style boxes, snaplock cases.

I know MVS is the same shit but it isn't as pretty. Labels and cardboard boxes are wack.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Has the entry of the card/stamp/coin collectors into this scene had any noticeable impact on prices yet?

As crazy as homecart prices have become, are we only seeing a false summit of inflation right now with the worst yet to come?

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
That's the point. You don't need to reprogram it. You can just bind A+B and C+D to fifth and sixth inputs in MAME and turn it into a 6 button game (or 7 button if you want to bind B+C which is useful). I can't even play those games on real hardware anymore because it feels so much shittier.

Holy fuck you are so stuck on this old control scheme...

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
I think there is always going to be a subset of people that want the real hardware - just look at vinyl for example, people still want to spin records and are paying tall cash to do it.
Digital provides convenience, but that isn't what the buyers of the future will want - they will long for the days of sticking things back in slots.

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
Has the entry of the card/stamp/coin collectors into this scene had any noticeable impact on prices yet?

As crazy as homecart prices have become, are we only seeing a false summit of inflation right now with the worst yet to come?

Coins are still going strong. Stamps are seeing a decline. No idea about cards.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Cards have stabilized for things older than 1950. Anything after that is garbage. And that is where my cards reside today....

Stuff sits on discogs for a long time even if it has value. Vinyl is an interesting market. Old CD's, Tapes, or laserdiscs are $1 novelties but vinyl keeps going. I don't think there are many parallels there to the videogame scene.

Either way. I'm hoping to have 50% less of my videogames in 2020, less in 2021, and so on. they are literally in boxes doing nothing. not even on shelves.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
The Bullitt 68 Mustang sold for $3.4 million.

Talk about cashing in.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
The Bullitt 68 Mustang sold for $3.4 million.

Talk about cashing in.

absolutely another market where i would be selling anything classic. Prices are at an all time high. Some will continue to go that way, but the next recession is going to reset this market hard. I remember Testarossas in 2008-2010 could be had for $20k or less. Kicking myself for not buying a Porsche 964 before the market took off. I had an offer on one for less than $18k, then decided against it in the end. That same car sold for $45k recently.

bulbousbeard

I think there is always going to be a subset of people that want the real hardware - just look at vinyl for example, people still want to spin records and are paying tall cash to do it.
Digital provides convenience, but that isn't what the buyers of the future will want - they will long for the days of sticking things back in slots.

It's just not the same. The Neo Geo is ultimately a digital system. It can be perfectly reproduced with emulation. Analog crap like vinyl records is far more difficult. There's also the fact that many "classic" albums were engineered by people who sucked ass at digital/CD mastering, and so the CD versions of albums are just flat out worse than the LPs. Something like the Neo Geo doesn't have this issue. Bits are bits.