Howdy, folks!

WNivek

Overtop Pathfinder
Figured I should probably drop a post in here, now that I'm capable of doing so.

Hi, everyone.

I've been interested in the Neo Geo for some time. I remember seeing the impressive red cabinets in arcades and other businesses, with often 2 or 4 different games and wondering - as a kid - just what 'Max 330 Mega Pro-Gear Spec' actually meant. I don't recall getting many chances to actually play them back in the day, but they were certainly prevalent.

Later, after an uncle introduced me to the concept of emulation, I was able to get a feel for just how many different genres were represented on the Neo Geo. Between that and a brief obsession with Street Fighter's Dan Hibiki and the parody he represented, I told myself that if I ever acquired an arcade machine, it ought to be a Neo Geo.

All that, of course, was long ago. Recently, I have actually gone and purchased a 1-slot MVS. No cabinet - just the board & some carts - and I've had to teach myself a bit of soldering in order to get the functionality out of it that I wanted, but that's helped make this into something of a project.

At this point I still need to get a better solution for video output and some good controls, and cram the whole shebang into some sort of housing - either making it a self-contained console, or trying to build it into counter-top mini-cabinet. While I like the idea of a cabinet, I don't have the space for a full one, and even a mini cab is much less portable than a console, which would make it difficult to share my new hardware with friends.

Regarding casing ideas, I'm amused at the thought of shoving it into the chassis of an Atari VCS - I like the classic look with the vent slats, faux wood grain, and chunky switches - but I'm not sure I would want to butcher an old console in order to do so. I'd probably be better off picking up a generic project case, or one of those Omega kits if they're still available.

Last edited:

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Really you don't need to put it in anything. One slots are pretty much ready to go.

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza
Regarding casing ideas, I'm amused at the thought of shoving it into the chassis of an Atari VCS - I like the classic look with the vent slats, faux wood grain, and chunky switches - but I'm not sure I would want to butcher an old console in order to do so. I'd probably be better off picking up a generic project case, or one of those Omega kits if they're still available.

Might not need a case tbh. Just pick up an Atari that is broken and gut that. At least you wouldn't be destroying a working console :).

WNivek

Overtop Pathfinder
Really you don't need to put it in anything. One slots are pretty much ready to go.
Outside of a cartridge, the current rig is comprised of 3 PCBs: the MV-1C itself, a board which sits on the Jamma edge connector and provides controller ports plus power/video terminals, and a crummy GBS-8200 to upscale the RGBS video to VGA. Even when I get my hands on an NTSC encoder and ditch the GBS-8200, adapting the video signal still means an extra board. Installing the whole kit and caboodle in a single case would make it easier to bring the Neo around to friends' places, as it simplifies set-up/tear-down, and reduces the risk of damage from mishandling.
Plus it would allow me to ditch (or at least hide) the MV-1C's original plastic shroud, which a prior owner had decided to crudely carve some numbers into.

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Ever thought about building a supergun? That's help with the clutter and open up the possibility of using other boards with it...

also if you can, ditch the GBS and get a CRT ;)

WNivek

Overtop Pathfinder
Ever thought about building a supergun? That's help with the clutter and open up the possibility of using other boards with it...

also if you can, ditch the GBS and get a CRT ;)
Thought about it, yeah. I don't currently have any plans to pursue any other arcade hardware, though. While there are certainly other boards I wouldn't mind owning, I don't presently have the space to amass a collection of arcade PCBs.
Of course, who knows were things will be in a year or two. Maybe I'll look back to now and scold myself for not being forward-thinking enough.

But yeah, I'm well aware I need to rid myself of the GBS; It's a stop-gap solution at best, but I don't presently have anything else that'll accept an RGBS signal. (At least not that I'm aware of.) I mainly picked it up because it was inexpensive, I could get it quickly, and it would be good enough to verify that stuff works.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Nice start, just get a supergun or make one. It makes it easier for future endeavors in arcade hardware. It's inevitable, welcome...

Played some games with you on fightcade dunno if you remember, anyway, hope you get something worth a while out of this place.

poponon

War Room Troll
heya, I'm also new to the forums and got my start on neo geo through emulation in the early 2000s. Pls no bully... I was a young kid at the time with no money and was blown away when I started trying out all the games in the neo geo library.

Now that I'm a little older with some disposable income, I've been able to buy into the hobby a little more. I bought an AES from japan and am loving it so far :)

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
You alright there buddy? You sound pretty upset. Anyways I think my post was on topic and conductive to thread. unlike your spastic comment

I dunno WTF is this about but you sound like a total douchebag.