Unibios for Neo Geo CD?

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Are all of the Neo CD console variants region-free?
Is there any bios mod for them? Could the Unibios be updated to work with them?
Does anyone have photos of the internals of a Neo CD?

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Are all of the Neo CD console variants region-free?
Yes. Also, if you want to choose between English and Japanese modes, it's easy to install a language switch.

Is there any bios mod for them? Could the Unibios be updated to work with them?
No. It's been asked many times, and although it's probably possible, the short answer is it's not really worth all the effort.

Does anyone have photos of the internals of a Neo CD?
I'm sure you can find some. There are directions for the language switch mod all over.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Are the CD versions all uncensored? Are the games censored according to which bios you have?

Jag-Master

"Hey, are we done here?..., Cause I'm losing my bu
15 Year Member
They are censored depending on what system they are loaded on. i.e. a Japanese system will load in Japanese, uncensored. A U.S. system will load in English and will be censored. Most games have an option to change the language option, which in most cases will unlock blood, (uncensored mode). Some of the newer titles on cd will not however show blood, as in Samurai Shodown 3-4. Install a switch if you'd like, it's a lot less of a pain in the ass if you want uncensored content on the cd.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
On a front loader you just replace the BIOS chip with the Unibios eprom. On a top loader you'd use a CD NeoBiosMasta (I don't know if Turfy still has any or not) and on a CDZ you'd pretty much need to send it to a highly skilled modder, it's pretty hard to do without making a mess of the inside of the system.