Schiggidyd's Collection Thread

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
To my understanding, there's four specific titles which only got released in Europe. Meaning, America didn't get an English release, but Europe did?
So, if Puzzled didn't get an english release, and JoyJoyKid is JP, than Puzzled was only "released" in europe I guess?

Gotcha. I guess to me that's sort of like saying anything with a different title in a different region is exclusive. Big Tournament Golf JP exclusive, etc. Anyways - thanks for clarifying.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
...than Puzzled was only "released" in europe I guess?

Yes, Puzzled was in fact only released in Europe. Here are some interesting facts:

SNK was very low key with regards to this game because of the lawsuits flying between Bullet Proof Software, Atari, & Nintendo. Tetris caused a complete mess, and Puzzled was way too similar to it. You could order Joy Joy Kid from dozens of mail order houses, but Puzzled was nowhere to be found.
In fact, I never even knew it existed until the mid 90's.

In addition, I'll also risk the assumption, that there is no single labeled Puzzled AES cart to be found. All carts feature double labels, European over Japanese.

Schiggidyd

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Yes, Puzzled was in fact only released in Europe. Here are some interesting facts:

In addition, I'll also risk the assumption, that there is no single labeled Puzzled AES cart to be found. All carts feature double labels, European over Japanese.

Indeed! Mine is double label! Thanks for the clarification.

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza
Very interesting information. Would also somewhat explain why the MVS US version of Puzzled is also somewhat harder to find than Joy Joy Kid.

Missile

Another Striker
Great collection Schiggidyd. I like how you have stored them on the shelves - like you could just pull one out and play it if you felt like it. That's how I like to store mine

uiengineer

Kasumi Todoh's Training Partner

Just chiming in to say that mine has the double label.

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza
My collection is child's play compared to veterans. But mine is quickly picking up steam!

Thanks!

Still a good collection though. However, you are right. An old member on here that I know has collected complete MVS kits with matching labels TWICE! Did it the first time and sold them all after the challenge was gone. Then did it again. He is currently still sitting on his second set, but was telling me this weekend that he might end up selling it. I highly doubt it though lol.

Schiggidyd

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Still a good collection though. However, you are right. An old member on here that I know has collected complete MVS kits with matching labels TWICE! Did it the first time and sold them all after the challenge was gone. Then did it again. He is currently still sitting on his second set, but was telling me this weekend that he might end up selling it. I highly doubt it though lol.

Glad you mentioned THE CHALLENGE. I think that's what attracts me to collecting AES. Every addition to my set feels like a monumental goal completed, since the library isn't huge and the games cost a lot.

Just added Mahjong Kyoretsuden two days ago. I think I'm at 54 now? Gotta recount.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Every addition to my set feels like a monumental goal completed, since the library isn't huge and the games cost a lot.
do you have meaningful things to strive for in you life?

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
think that's what attracts me to collecting AES. Every addition to my set feels like a monumental goal completed, since the library isn't huge and the games cost a lot.

If you're enjoying it - that's the main thing. It's important to know though that almost every person who starts out AES collecting hits 50 games and if they're "serious" about it, they hit it fast. There are right around 50 games that are moderately priced ($100 or less). It's the 2nd 50 where the actual "collecting" begins.

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza
There are right around 50 games that are moderately priced ($100 or less). It's the 2nd 50 where the actual "collecting" begins.

From what I've seen, it seems like the same can be said for MVS (to an extent). I mean, there are no $13,000 MVS titles, but they are pretty pricey these days.

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
An old member on here that I know has collected complete MVS kits with matching labels TWICE! Did it the first time and sold them all after the challenge was gone. Then did it again.

Well, I did that with my English AES collection which was complete all the way up to Garou Mark of the Wolves, and KOF99 being my last two games when I sold my collection to Gamedude, and then began rebuying them again starting in 2001/2002 as I could not stand not having them anymore. It was not for the enjoyment in trying to collect them all again, but more for the love of the game's themselves. However, I do admit that it slowly did become somewhat enjoyable hunting for them, but somehow even though I love my AES more than my MVS, and the Neo-Geo CD's, I seem to enjoy hunting down the MVS carts with perfect looking English stickers on them the most. I'm not sure why, but it seems to be harder to do which I find strange considering that they were produced 100x more than the AES carts. I suppose it's due to the environment that the MVS games were in which makes it harder to find them in nice condition.

Glad you mentioned THE CHALLENGE. I think that's what attracts me to collecting AES. Every addition to my set feels like a monumental goal completed, since the library isn't huge and the games cost a lot.

I totally hear that, as I feel somewhat the same for each MVS/AES game I add to my collection. I also feel that way toward getting the Turbo Duo English games as well as those seem to be wanted by so many old school gamers these days, and I always loved that console, it was my second fav console ever made. I find it funny that I always tried to get my friends to play the Turbo Duo with me, but all they wanted to see was my Neo-Geo instead. Now the Turbo Duo has a pretty decent following, and the same people that did not care about it back in the day are the same ones that seem to want it now. lol

If you're enjoying it - that's the main thing. It's important to know though that almost every person who starts out AES collecting hits 50 games and if they're "serious" about it, they hit it fast. There are right around 50 games that are moderately priced ($100 or less). It's the 2nd 50 where the actual "collecting" begins.

Yeah, it was the last 20 or so English games where the "real" collecting began for me, as that is when it began getting uber damn expensive, and the last 10 are now just ridiculous in price. If you include the JPN carts as well, then I suppose that you can definitely say the last 40 or so are a bitch to get. I was just about ready to get Sonic Wings 3 the other day, just to see that it went from $700 on ebay to $1,500 in what seems to be just one or two months time. Very depressing lol.

Schiggidyd

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Fakk, PMed you back!

Definitely enjoying it! I don't even feel like there's 50 games below 100 dollars, but I could be wrong. If there is, I definitely don't have them all. I didn't bother getting inferior versions of games, like FF2 vs FF Special, or World Heroes 2 VS Jet. But I will eventually.

Seems like it's meaningful for him to strive for a complete set! :)

There's no way that's happening! I'll probably crap out around 80 or so, but I'll be damned if I don't try. Just got a Last Blade 2 JPN, and should be picking up an English Matrimelee this week in a trade.

do you have meaningful things to strive for in you life?

Yes, yes I do. Thank you for your genuine interest in my mental health!

myblackamex

NEST Puppet
Nice collection........ you are well on you way! 117 for a complete AES set........... when you get to 80 you will itch to complete :)

Schiggidyd

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Nice collection........ you are well on you way! 117 for a complete AES set........... when you get to 80 you will itch to complete :)

Thanks man! Got some heavier ones coming in soon. I'll definitely post pictures when I have them in-hand!