Neo Geo Anthology Kickstarter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Heh... I'm just saying... if SnK decide to "Flex"... it could become problematic that's all...:keke:

xROTx

I was in on that Kickstarter too. They worked things out with Nintendo and the campaign ended just fine. I love Bitmap Books C64 book, so I've been looking forward to the NES one.

Bar81

Note to self, Place interesting, Custom rank here.
20 Year Member
This just got cockblocked. Message from KS:

This is a message from Kickstarter’s Integrity team. We're writing to inform you that a project you backed, Neo Geo Anthology: History & Complete Games Library, is the subject of an intellectual property dispute.

The project has been removed from public view until the dispute is resolved, which can take up to 30 days. The project’s funding and the countdown to its deadline have been stopped. If the project becomes available again, the countdown will continue and the new deadline will extend past the original deadline for as much time as the project was unavailable. You can find out more by reading our Copyright Policy and our Trademark Policy.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Rot totally called it.

Meh... I take no comfort in being right... I sorta like stuff like this tbh... I like it for the fact people cared enough to try and produce it...

However, in todays current world.... Businesses like to protect their investments like never before...

All is not lost tho... there maybe an announcement about a relevant product soon... You never know...:D

xROTx

mathieu4d

Crazed MVS Addict
Ye well snk does not care enough about its legacy to take a proper care of it, and blame indies who try to document it ?
And why attack this project that is "historical oriented" in a way, when letting multicart or stuff like that run wild ?
Only reason I see is they want to write/rewrite themselves their history but thats not the way a research work is done.
As much as I love this company, this decision is a pain to look at.

jacket

n00b
New info.

Geeks-Line says:
Dear Backers, and to all of you who have placed your trust in us.
SNK have filed a copyright claim against the campaign,
There was, however, an agreement between SNK and Geeks-Line already in place, and we have done our utmost to satisfy their every request – Hence our confusion at this temporary shut-down.
In the words of H2G2 – Do Not Panic. Your pledge is safe.
We will of course keep you informed as soon as we know more.
Again, thank you for your trust.

frazer99

Living on the wrong, side of the Pennines,
20 Year Member
The French version was OK'd by SNK. English version is a totally different ball game. There will be an announcement soon from SNK.

frazer99

Living on the wrong, side of the Pennines,
20 Year Member
Ye well snk does not care enough about its legacy to take a proper care of it, and blame indies who try to document it ?
And why attack this project that is "historical oriented" in a way, when letting multicart or stuff like that run wild ?
Only reason I see is they want to write/rewrite themselves their history but thats not the way a research work is done.

Have faith Mathieu you might be surprised.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member

I would rather say the opposite...SNK is clearly concerned about its legacy, especially now that they are rebooting the company brand, going back to the roots (old logo/jingle and gaming focus).

Allowing "anyone" to publish sub-par material about their most important asset could easily turn in image , hence economic, damage.

There is definitively a need for this kind of content, I'm sure there will be more coming.

mathieu4d

Crazed MVS Addict
Well… they should not be expecting to control everyone that is talking about their o'time.
I dont see em going after every retro gamer magazine.

Hope this is just a misunderstanding, something that can be talked out.
Hell, lets dream, they could even step in to provide exclusive intel :-)

Last edited:

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Well… they should not be expecting to control everyone that is talking about their o'time.
I dont see em going after every retro gamer magazine.

Hope this is just a misunderstanding, something that can be talked out.
Hell, lets dream, they could even step in to provide exclusive intel :-)

seems it is not the case

Edit:

to elaborate, it is understandable why SNK had issues regarding this initiative, far from content quality... it is indeed a misfortunate coincidence that leGeek wanted to publish an English book, during the same time frame... maybe after..

Last edited:

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Edit:

to elaborate, it is understandable why SNK had issues regarding this initiative, far from content quality... it is indeed a misfortunate coincidence that leGeek wanted to publish an English book, during the same time frame... maybe after..

To be honest... I have no skin in this game...

I liked Shito's book... I would like different perspectives on the NG scene from people...

It does seem unfortunate that the Official release collided so well with this one... maybe a deal could be hammered out...

I just want what's best for our scene and our memberbase... so I don't see the need to fight over a book...

xROTx

PS. I'm of the opinion this thread stays... unless external concerns and pressures are applied...

EDIT: OK OK... some members might also point to me being a bit of a cowboy concerning certain matters... just making sure you understand that I know this already:D

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
To be honest... I have no skin in this game...

I liked Shito's book... I would like different perspectives on the NG scene from people...

It does seem unfortunate that the Official release collided so well with this one... maybe a deal could be hammered out...

I just want what's best for our scene and our memberbase... so I don't see the need to fight over a book...

xROTx

PS. I'm of the opinion this thread stays... unless external concerns and pressures are applied...

EDIT: OK OK... some members might also point to me being a bit of a cowboy concerning certain matters... just making sure you understand that I know this already:D

I think it is important to do not mix things: Shito's book (which I contributed with all the original pictures from my collection) is/was an Italian language, free to download initiative. Also, it is important to mention that the French version of the book was indeed somehow approved by SNK, proving they did not blindly stop even a commercial product (by the end of the day, let;s do not forget it)

Now, it seems pretty reasonable for SNK to stop a concurrent worldwide initiative, given their plans for a similar thing, and especially during this delicate moment of re-launch of the brand...no need to remember everybody that, ultimately, neogeo is SNK property.

It is my opinion, given my experience with SNK since the time of the interview we did in Esaka, it is likely this is just a timing problem with no intention to arm the fanbase, so no need to put them automatically into the "bad guys" position...i.e. I wouldn't be surprised if the Geek book will be allowed to be released but just after SNK's one.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I think it is important to do not mix things: Shito's book (which I contributed with all the original pictures from my collection) is/was an Italian language, free to download initiative. Also, it is important to mention that the French version of the book was indeed somehow approved by SNK, proving they did not blindly stop even a commercial product (by the end of the day, let;s do not forget it)

Now, it seems pretty reasonable for SNK to stop a concurrent worldwide initiative, given their plans for a similar thing, and especially during this delicate moment of re-launch of the brand...no need to remember everybody that, ultimately, neogeo is SNK property.

It is my opinion, given my experience with SNK since the time of the interview we did in Esaka, it is likely this is just a timing problem with no intention to arm the fanbase, so no need to put them automatically into the "bad guys" position...i.e. I wouldn't be surprised if the Geek book will be allowed to be released but just after SNK's one.

Well said. It's exciting either way. It's been decades since snk has published an official history book (the All About SNK dvd set was nice though). It will be good to see neo geo history in the spotlight for something other than aftermarket game prices for a change.

Last edited:

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I am locking this thread for a while... It's getting a tad complex atm...

xROTx

PS. There's a few things I need to sort through with the relevant people before I take further action..

Status
Not open for further replies.