Votes: 17 21.8%

Votes: 2 2.6%

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • X

Votes: 16 20.5%

• Total voters

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
The first Slug I saw & played in an arcade was "2". It gets my voice for the political incorrectness of the 1st level alone. I gladly slow down to enjoy the animations, too. The pace of the charging metros, the Indiana Jones exploration in Egyptian scenery, an honest-to-goodness train level, finally the joy of the double-crossed finale... I'm getting diarrhea already ;).

-SD-

Camel Slug
I really like X as it was the first Slug I actually owned on MVS... but the first and third are better games.

Also +1 for 1st and 2nd Missions.

SNK416

King's Dry Cleaner
I've always liked the first one personally. Maybe cause they use to have it at the local pool hall that's long gone and missed....

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I'd go with 1. But I'm not a huge MS fan.

ovalfastlx

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Really like Metal Slug 3. followed by 2, until I get to try it with the turbo patch.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Metal Slug 1 has no Fio which automatically makes it shit. SHIT!!!

geise

Mickey's Coach
As much as I love all the sprite animation and pathways in 3, 2 is my personal favorite. Some might find this odd but 4 has some of my favorite music. To bad the graphics were such a let down, especially after 3.

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
As much as I love all the sprite animation and pathways in 3, 2 is my personal favorite. Some might find this odd but 4 has some of my favorite music. To bad the graphics were such a let down, especially after 3.

Was the fourth with the heavy metal like soundtrack? I actually liked the music in that one, although quite a change from the jazzy tracks of the first one.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Was the fourth with the heavy metal like soundtrack? I actually liked the music in that one, although quite a change from the jazzy tracks of the first one.

I believe that was 5, and it rocked.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member

but ms5 had great visuals. the effects on the final boss were especially amazing.

geise

Mickey's Coach
Yeah the final boss in 5 was great. The animation of the new tank was also nice. 5 overall I like over 4 but the music in 4 I found to be really nice.

bloodhokuto

Меня зов
15 Year Member
My Favourite is 3. There is so much good content in that game. Absolutely love the soundtrack (esp level 2) and all the animations are crazy. To this day I cannot beleive how much they crammed into this game, and the existance of elephant slug is like the level of work that went into Akira (you know where they painted a massive citiscape, only to use a small snippet in a handful of frames).

The 'Best' Slug however is 1. It is not too long, not to short, the diffiiculty is just right, and it looks just as good as the other contenders. The music also is probably my second fave.

3 - actually has too much in it, I think that had they pared down the last level it would have been the best. It's still my personal fave, but not objectively the best.

2 - is a lovely game, but the glitch that causes the excessive slowdown means that it just loses out to 1.

2>X of course.

4 - was my first home cart slug, and I liked it, but even though at that point I had never played the others very much (or 3 at all) it seemed like a re-hash. I think that I could still have fun with this game, but it is in a different category to 1,2,3.

5 - I have to be honest, I have hardly played this game, when I first played it I was really hyped by the beginning of the first level, I thought the initial jungle river section was as good as anything in 3 ... but it is clear that they didn't have the time to spend on it that they wanted, so the rest looks very generic. I would really love for 5 to be remade, with all the ideas and stage setups as they intended, that would really be a great successor to 3. Maybe call it Metal Slug Y?

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I love 2 and 3, but the one I always go back to, and the one I play with friends the most is the original.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
The 'Best' Slug however is 1. It is not too long, not to short, the diffiiculty is just right, ...

'Not too short, not too long with the right difficulty' is a perfect description of MS1's best qualities. MS3 should have been divided into two separate games: the first missions put together as 3Alpha and the last mission put in a sequel named 3Omega.