Neo Geo UK Fanzine - New Earth

grayn

n00b
Good news!

After a couple of fruitless searches in the attic, I've finally located my New Earth originals.
Phew! For a while there, I thought I'd whizzed them by mistake.
Not so and I'm enjoying re-reading them and seeing how they progress.
Unfortunately I can't access a scanner until the New Year.
But I'm on it and will keep anyone interested informed, as to when I get hem on-line.

Merry yule.

frazer99

Living on the wrong, side of the Pennines,
20 Year Member
That's great news :) If you could ever bring yourself to sell them, please let me know - i'd love to add those to my collection. In the meantime looking forward to the scans! Merry Xmas!

grayn

n00b
Thanks Frazer.

Although I sold my NG hardware and software, I still the feel a close bond to these amazing games.
At the back of my New Earth originals folder, I found my old Neo Geo Club members card, issued by DGM (De Galle Marketing).
From 1993, I was number 026.
Cool!

I know it's not very hardcore but I'm loving these Hamster converted NG games on my PS4 Pro.

Last edited:

frazer99

20 Year Member
Hey that's fine no worries. In fact weren't the copies just photocopies IIRC? If so i'd be interested in just B&W copies if thats possible. Aha! the NeoGeo Club card - not sure what happened to mine back in the day but yeah DGM produced the 5 newsletters and ran the club. Could you post a photo of the card - that will bring back some memories :)

grayn

n00b
The originals of New Earth are B & W art work stuck on A4 paper and typed around, on an eletronic typewriter.
Very archaic, I know.
I didn't have a PC or the internet, back then.
The artwork was a mixture of hand drawn stuff, copies from Neo Geo manuals and eventually,
stuff from the Japanese Magazine, Neo Geo Freak.
Which I imported via the Japan Centre, for a couple of years.

Unfortunately I don't have any of them left.
Or the DGM Newsletters, which were pretty feeble anyway.

I'll try and get a photo of the card, when there's some day light.
Being white with gold lettering, it's hard to photograph.

frazer99

20 Year Member
Hey! I've just read back through the thread and realised its actually you Graham!! For some reason I just thought it was some UK guy who had kept copies of the fanzine.

Wow I tried to get in touch a while back - I actually came over to see you in Colne? many years ago and I bought some posters from you. You may recall I was trying to get a complete set of NeoGeo games, anyhow I eventually managed it. I tried to locate some of the letters you and I wrote - this was way before the days of the internet! From memory you'd just got a Dreamcast when I came over to your place.

Have you seen the official SNK NeoGeo book I was involved with? I wanted to include an image of your fanzine (hence why I wanted to get in touch). A friend of mine still had a copy and scanned it and we included it along with a caption and your name. Here's photos:

HfNK8ug.jpg

H5MSoKo.jpg

grayn

n00b
Hi Frazer.

Yes it's the real me and it's very cool to see New Earth remembered.
Love to get a copy of that book, too.
Doing New Earth added so much to the whole gaming hobby, for me.

I still have a Dreamcast, PS 1, 2, 3 & 4, GameCube, Saturn and Xbox 360.
TBH, I'd more or less given up on gaming, over the last couple of years.
None of the above gave me the same buzz as the Neo Geo.
With perhaps the exception of some great shooters on the DC (Zero Gunner 2, Under Defeat etc.).
And the 360 (Akai Katana, Death Smiles etc.}.

Anyway I'm back on the Neo, well sort of and have got my gaming mojo back.

Oh yeah, pics of the card.
OBasEy7

PTOLT1e

frazer99

20 Year Member
Graham and I met up at the weekend and i'm thrilled to have a full complete set again of the 47 New Earth Issues. Anyone interested in a full set can email me at hello@neogeocollector.co.uk - we are working out print run costs. A full set runs to close to 500 pages and around 2kgs in weight. Once we know numbers we can finalise the print costs.

MAIhos2.jpg

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Why not make it available via Cloudprint or some other print on demand service? Then you can have it as a digital download or get a printed copy, if you want.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
That would be great! If for some reason they decide against it, you can always upload it to archive.org. That's pretty much the place to have things like that. They are all about preservation.

+1
Happy to hear that this is moving forward! Looking forward to it.

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
Looking forward to having a read through these... I have still got a few PC Engine fanzines from the early 90s but never had any Neo Geo ones.

Id love to have these to read through again. Seeing this thread actually sparked me to sign up to the forums :) Id love real copies, but online seems the best solution. Maybe sell them as a bulk download? I remember picking up one or two from Raven games when I used to visit years ago

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
This needs to be preserved. Would make great supplementary material to the neo geo book. That membership card is pure style & class.

frazer99

20 Year Member
Id love to have these to read through again. Seeing this thread actually sparked me to sign up to the forums :) Id love real copies, but online seems the best solution. Maybe sell them as a bulk download? I remember picking up one or two from Raven games when I used to visit years ago

The digital versions will be free to download but I'm hoping Graham won't mind me saying but he'd like to get back into the Neo - it would be fantastic to crowdfund one as a thank you for providing these fanzines to the community. A Neo plus a NeoSD is the catalyst which means Graham may start writing again. New Earth 2018!

-SD-

Camel Slug
Awesome work. Looking forward to reading through these on the iPad.

grayn

n00b
Many thanks to Frazer.

I really enjoyed seeing his amazing Neo Geo collection.
And I was totally unaware of the NeoSD.
So am now aiming to get fully back into the Neo.
The thought of having every single game, is mouth watering.

I never thought that New Earth would generate any interest, in 2018.
I'm seriously thinking of starting writing about the NG again.
In what format, I'm not sure.
So much easier, with the internet and a PC, that's for sure.

Thanks to everyone for the interest and I'm sure the scanned copies of New Earth will be available soon.

frazer99

20 Year Member
The hardcopy run totalled 53 copies which are being shipped out to those who expressed interest. The digital copies will be available in approx 2 weeks time. Thanks to Graham for making these available and potentially.....a New Earth 2018 may be on the cards.

Pinball

Kula's Candy
This is all truly awesome. Like Clint Eastwood decided to make another Western :-)

frazer99

20 Year Member
With thanks to Graham for making copies of New Earth available for the community to enjoy and also to Andy De Wilde at Out of Print Archive for his efforts on the digital copies. Volume 1 now available at https://t.co/OcmuLC1wmL