EGM supplement from March 1992

gameofyou

Mr. Big's Thug
15 Year Member
I stumbled across this the other night on an archive site. You can read back issues of EGM on the archive site, and in March 1992, there was a cool 16-page Neo Geo supplement (link below). I’m not sure if they ever did this in other issues, but it was fun to read.

https://tinyurl.com/y4shlmvd

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
These were also sent out if you contacted SNK directly. They would send me these after I registered my Neo AES bitd.

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
It's doubly amazing that not only was game magazine writing absolutely atrocious back then but also that it hasn't improved at all.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Man I miss EGM, GameFan, and Nintendo Power so much.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
What was it like owning a Neo at that time?

Kinda surreal to be honest. I worked that whole summer in ‘91 to save up the money to get one. I didn’t get it that year because I wanted to get the gold system. No store near me had one. I ended up finally getting one the following summer with Nam 1975 as the pack in. Over the following months I got Ninja Combat and Magcian Lord used from some fly by night store that was advertising in Gamefan back then called Dragon Video based in Raleigh, NC.

When I got Samurai Shodown the following summer, I all of a sudden got a bunch of new “friends”.

All in all it was cool to have and I still have that same console. Only one original game remains and it’s a copy of Baseball Stars Professional. I do have a larger collection ive gotten over the years.

THEMAN

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
20 Year Member
I do recognize that. I'm almost certain I have that issue. Makes me appreciate my old video game mags even more.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Oh man, what a blast from the past. I remember that spread, lol. Thanks for sharing. Was a fun read.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
When I got Samurai Shodown the following summer, I all of a sudden got a bunch of new “friends”.

That's a cool story. Man, to be ballin' enough to have a Neo in the early 90s.

Rare picture of Kid Panda surrounded by new friends in the summer of '92:
bartofdarkness2_thumb.png

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Kinda surreal to be honest. I worked that whole summer in ‘91 to save up the money to get one. I didn’t get it that year because I wanted to get the gold system. No store near me had one. I ended up finally getting one the following summer with Nam 1975 as the pack in. Over the following months I got Ninja Combat and Magcian Lord used from some fly by night store that was advertising in Gamefan back then called Dragon Video based in Raleigh, NC.

All in all it was cool to have and I still have that same console. Only one original game remains and it’s a copy of Baseball Stars Professional. I do have a larger collection ive gotten over the years.

I thought the gold system had Maglord as a packin?

Great story KidPanda, I can only imagine how surreal would it be to be young and to buy a Neo with the sweat of your own brow. A mere genesis is enough to have "friends" pestering you to come over and play games, imagine a Samurai Shodown cart + home Neo Geo. Bet no one ever said "hey lets play some Ninja Combat" haha

THEMAN

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
20 Year Member
That's a cool story. Man, to be ballin' enough to have a Neo in the early 90s.

Rare picture of Kid Panda surrounded by new friends in the summer of '92:
View attachment 58081

I had my AES in the early 90's. I liken it to owning a colored TV in the 1950's or something. It was way ahead of its time. I first heard of the Neo Geo from a friend who came over with his Genesis which I had never played before. It was a point when I wasn't that much into video games, and I only had the 8 bit systems at that time. When I played the Genesis, I was so blown away with the graphics and gameplay and said something like 'it would be awesome to have a home system that was just like the arcade". He said "there is it's called Neo Geo; it's very expensive". I looked into it, and a few months later I had the system. Early 90's was the golden age of the Neo Geo AES!!

Last edited:

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,

Some of them did.

The gold system I'd bought bitd had Fatal Fury as the pack in and the mail order place I ordered it from was including a second game of your choice with it. So I picked KotM as my second game.

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
Great stuff here. I only knew of one kid that had one early on. He was my rich friends even richer buddy. I remember him flexing on us about how much each game cost. I have a friend who I met about 10 years ago who had one as a kid. He busted his ass doing mowing jobs all over town to save up for it. He always mentions how glad he was that he decided against Cyberlip and got Maglord instead. He had a bunch of AES stuff he sold right before I met him. Let it go for next to nothing. Too bad I didn't know him back then.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid

Great story KidPanda, I can only imagine how surreal would it be to be young and to buy a Neo with the sweat of your own brow. A mere genesis is enough to have "friends" pestering you to come over and play games, imagine a Samurai Shodown cart + home Neo Geo. Bet no one ever said "hey lets play some Ninja Combat" haha

A little bit after launch you could get nam/bsp/vag lord/ninja combat as the pack in. Many shops would just put in whatever you wanted. I’m curious if SNK just shipped gold systems with the game spot empty.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
A little bit after launch you could get nam/bsp/vag lord/ninja combat as the pack in. Many shops would just put in whatever you wanted. I’m curious if SNK just shipped gold systems with the game spot empty.

I’ve seen a few pictures of Gold System boxes with UPC labels stating what game was packed in, with a different UPC for different pack in games. I’m not 100% sure if this was done on the retailer end or not, but I thought I’d share.

Loefye

Lt. Laser,
These old articles are such good reads, thanks for sharing. Also, the letter from Dion cracked me up.

Missile

Another Striker
This is great to see. The sort of supplements that make you dream. Never had a hope of owning a Neo Geo back then.

32-bit huh? I only ever recall SNK self-proclaiming 24-bit.

That and 4D graphics, since the Neo Geo defies the laws of time and physics.

I think the 24 bit thing is 100% accurate. Technically because the the 68000 CPU has a 24 bit memory bus. So SNK wins on that one. Also the 68000 has 32 bit data registers. So it wins there too

The 24 bit could also be right because it actually denotes a GENERATION not the bit rating of a CPU. That's why the Intellivision (1979) - which has a 16 bit CPU (but with only 8 small sprites) clearly isn't in the the "16 bit generation" of the SNES, Megadrive, Amiga, PC Engine etc. No one in their right mind would classify a console's power solely by the bit-size of it's CPU