Sega CD

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Why is everyone wanting terraonion to make a new device for this? What is so great about this attachment? I've never had one nor played one.

joala

A Joala is for Life., Not Just Christmas.,
I imagine because it has some good games (like most systems) plus Mega/Sega CDs are getting crazy expensive (round here at least)

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
Sega CD has some good exclusives (most of which are super $$$ these days), plus the "definitive" versions of some Genesis games like Earthworm Jim, Out of this World, etc.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
The Sega CD really only holds nostalgia for me. Road Avenger is cool but looks like poo. Robo Aleste is neat but has horrid colors compared to MUSHA. Couple of cool rpgs and and couple of "remasters" if you will. But certainly not a system I remember from Sega.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I'm a Sega Cd guy so for me it would be awesome to have a device like the Super Sd for the Sega CD. Final Fight Cd, Sonic Cd, Robo Aleste, Road Avenger, Android Assault, Sol Feace, Lethal Enforcers are just a few titles off the top of my head that are some of my favorites on the platform.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Everyone forgets Misadventures of Flink. It's pretty damn amazing. If I remember correct, it was developed by only 1 or 2 guys. Which makes it even more impressive. Don't quote me on that.

A Sega CD SD device is necessary. I would love one. However, I don't think it's top priority over PS1, and Saturn. I think I could count the amazing Sega CD titles on two hands. Maybe 3. The rest are average at best. But those good ones, they are really, really good.

Any idiot (me), can easily burn a Sega CD ISO first try, every time. This isn't even an option on PS1 and Sega CD, unless your console is modded.

Last edited:

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
I'd definitely be interested in one.

Another reason for it (albeit minor for some) would be that there are a few Sega CD games that struggle to work on the hardware they were intended for. 'Silpheed' is one that immediately comes to mind. Read errors, crashes, etc.
You pretty much have to have a perfectly working Sega CD unit for that game in particular. It taxes the hardware as a whole.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Everyone forgets Misadventures of Flink. It's pretty damn amazing. If I remember correct, it was developed by only 1 or 2 guys. Which makes it even more impressive. Don't quote me on that.

A Sega CD SD device is necessary. I would love one. However, I don't think it's top priority over PS1, and Saturn. I think I could count the amazing Sega CD titles on two hands. Maybe 3. The rest are average at best. But those good ones, they are really, really good.

Any idiot (me), can easily burn a Sega CD ISO first try, every time. This isn't even an option on PS1 and Sega CD, unless your console is modded.

I've never heard of this one, it looks amazing.

But Sega CD hardware is really flakey. Model 2 units are pretty easy fixes, but model 1s are not and most of them ended up in junkyards. There's a handful of good games for the system- Popful Mail, Bari Arm (Android Assault), Shining Force CD... Could be a market there, who knows.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Sonic CD fucking rules. I have Robo Aleste in my system right now, too.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Sonic CD fucking rules. I have Robo Aleste in my system right now, too.

I think Sonic CD, is the best sonic on the Genesis/CD/32X combo. Maybe even the best Sonic, but I really like Sonic Adventure a lot too.

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
While we're calling out favorites, Soul Star is a tragically overlooked gem. It's a rail shooter like StarFox with absolutely fantastic music. The controls take some getting used to, and the collision detection is sometimes flaky, but it's still a great game overall, and a graphical showpiece for the Sega CD hardware.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
While we're calling out favorites, Soul Star is a tragically overlooked gem. It's a rail shooter like StarFox with absolutely fantastic music. The controls take some getting used to, and the collision detection is sometimes flaky, but it's still a great game overall, and a graphical showpiece for the Sega CD hardware.

Another Sega Cd game that I never played. Just saw some videos and it looks really cool. I'll have to check it out someday.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
There are a handful of "oddities" that are fun on this system. Bari Arms and Switch are the only ones I can name off the top of my head that are exclusive to the system and good. The other exclusives are meh games that collectors jack off to on their shelves and don't actually play. Most of the good Sega CD games have seen better version on PSX/Saturn or other systems.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I think Sonic CD, is the best sonic on the Genesis/CD/32X combo. Maybe even the best Sonic, but I really like Sonic Adventure a lot too.

For me, the best overall is still Sonic 2 on Genesis. Best 3D game is Sonic Colors on Wii.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Dark Wizard...hands down. I would totally buy an ODE replacement for Sega CD just for Dark Wizard.

In terms of English librarys, the Sega CD beats the Turbo CD hands down.

ginoscope

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Another Sega Cd game that I never played. Just saw some videos and it looks really cool. I'll have to check it out someday.

I just played this two weeks ago for the first time and I was really impressed. A real shame I had never heard of this game until now as it is pretty damn good.

I just did a full refurbishment on my sega cd 1. The caps on the main board were in bad shape so I am glad I did it. The system has more games than people realize so an ODE for it would be very welcome.

Also in case no one has tried it I enjoyed Lords of Thunder on the Sega CD. I have always played the Turbografx version and I was pretty surprised they added English voices to this port. Another game that rarely gets a mention on the sega cd is Space Adventure Cobra. It's a pretty good game like Snatcher.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I just played this two weeks ago for the first time and I was really impressed. A real shame I had never heard of this game until now as it is pretty damn good.

I just did a full refurbishment on my sega cd 1. The caps on the main board were in bad shape so I am glad I did it. The system has more games than people realize so an ODE for it would be very welcome.

Also in case no one has tried it I enjoyed Lords of Thunder on the Sega CD. I have always played the Turbografx version and I was pretty surprised they added English voices to this port. Another game that rarely gets a mention on the sega cd is Space Adventure Cobra. It's a pretty good game like Snatcher.

Rise of the Dragon is another one of those text adventure games that never gets mentioned. More adult oriented theme in cyberpunk universe. About drugs and such.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member

Yea, I discovered Android Assault recently. Even created a thread about it. Awesome game IMO.

The Sega CD has alot of outdated FMV games but if you take away those, there is still some really good games to be desired.

I personally think that there are just as many good games on the Sega CD as the Turbo CD if you read the English language just like REV said. What the Turbo CD does really well is Shtmups and it has the best Castlevania Game of all time.

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
I think the Sega CD is a very underrated system... probably due to a few garbage FMV games that were published on the system and the expensive price back in the days, but it has many great titles which can be hard to pick up nowadays. I personally got a cheap used one when the PlayStation was already in the market, just to play Snatcher (one of my all time favorites) and Sonic CD. Core Design in particular made a pretty awesome use of the extra capabilities of the system, with games like Soulstar, Thunderhawk or Battlecorps. Aside from some exclusives already mentioned, Keio Flying Suqadron is also a title worth playing, Silpheed is pretty cool, Annet Futabi, both Lunars, Devastator, The Ninja Warriors, Night Striker...

Not the most extensive catalogue out there for sure, but IMO there are many games worth checking out among its 200+ titles!

powerflower

Banned
Robo Aleste was a solid exclusive shmup

I think it's even better than MUSHA and far more challenging. The other AAA titles for me would be FinalFightCD and the absolut brilliant Silpheed!

Too few games to make an SD thingy worthwhile.

AS a Sega lover the CD-system was really crappy. The tech wasn't that bad but trying to attach it to that SUPER-SHIT MD bus resulted in 20fps in H32 mode (256x224). I'm talking the Core Design wizards...