Just what is up with the first level in G Darius having no music

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I swear I thought my disc was fucked up for years.

Whose bright idea was it for the first level - which is, the most important level in any game to capture your attention - to have no music?

Retarded af. I guarantee this is the real reason why most people don't care about G Darius, because otherwise it's a sad, creepy, scary game.

Last edited:

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
This makes me want to play it. I've always been told its a POS so I've never bothered with it. The no first level music is weird though.
I'm with you.

It reminds me of the level in the sega cd version of Ecco the dolphin with the time machine. There's no music and the echoey sounds make it super tense and foreboding. It can be a nice effect if used properly.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
G Darius is a great game

It came out in a time where 3D was still shit, and sprite purists dismissed it

But it's great man. Awesome atmosphere. It's 2017, christ damn near 20 years since it came out. I think it's ok to give it a try.

But man. That first level with no music, I just can't even. There was a Rushing Beat game, The Peace Keepers I think, that also didn't have music in the first level. Confused the hell out of me when I was 7 or whatever. I really have no idea what they were thinking doing that, maybe they thought it was artistic? Absolutely terrible move.

Darius Gaiden had great music. That first level in G Darius, I guarantee you, is what killed the game. A first level makes or break the game, and in this case it killed the series.

Whoever called for not including music in the first level of this game has probably seppuku'd himself by now, fucking idiot.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
It wasn't the whole of the first level though, was it? Personally, I would consider that bit before you choose whether you want to go A or B route as a intro of sorts because in other Darius games you already start on route A. I agree, though, it doesn't give a good first impression of the game and probably shaded people's perception of it along with the graphics.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
G Darius is a solid game. The Actual proto or what was meant to go in the cabs had a jazzy band do the theme song for the 1st stage, this was dropped later due to budget and what we have is no music for the 1st stage. I dunno how truth is this but apparently some JP discs have the full OST, could be BS though, I only have the US disc.

kitkit.com

Ace Ghost Pilot
15 Year Member
Just played the Japanese G Darius on my PS3. No music for the 1st stage until the boss fight.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Guys what does the G in G Darius stand for?

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
No one knows for sure. People say it stands for Giant or Gigantic because the bosses here are massive but it's just a guess.

Probably for Genesis, since this is a prequel? Anyway, High Noon has no sound during it's first sequence. It's a classic, though and a lot of other flicks having a bang right at their start, just can't touch its class.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Hmm, interesting. Perhaps "ginormous"?

Ginormous Darius has no stage 1 music.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Probably for Genesis, since this is a prequel? Anyway, High Noon has no sound during it's first sequence. It's a classic, though and a lot of other flicks having a bang right at their start, just can't touch its class.

Ollie please don't compare movies and arcade games.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Ollie please don't compare movies and arcade games.

Both are pop-culture entertainment. You're not entertained by silence? Then stay away from John Cage, too. BTW, did you figure out by now, who is Robin Masters? Or is it still out of context?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I was thinking the G meant Gay but you guys keep harping on about its meaning...