Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Been going w/ some classic Richard Pryor films after the kids love The Toy. Went w/ Brewster Millions, See No Evil Hear No Evil, & Stir Crazy.

First time watching The Edge w/ Anthony Hopkins & Alec Baldwin...Man this was actually pretty damn good, cant believe i waited this long to watch this.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Tried watching the Terminator with my daughter last night...yeah, that wasn't a success. She told me she found it "boring". She did get uptight at the end though, the action seq with the semi truck chasing Sara Connor down and the de-skinned Terminator did get her attention.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Tried watching the Terminator with my daughter last night...yeah, that wasn't a success. She told me she found it "boring". She did get uptight at the end though, the action seq with the semi truck chasing Sara Connor down and the de-skinned Terminator did get her attention.
My nephew (16) said the same about Superman 78. I mean sure it's not 'sploding buildings but it's a great comic movie. Little shit.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
superman has always sucked. But that's because Superman has primarily served as propaganda. He's not designed to be human, but rather humuncular in every way.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Palm Springs - maybe a little overrated, but certainly enjoyable, and a good leading man performance from Andy Samberg without having to lean on anything resembling TLI (too much). Not a fan of the ending, or more how it gets there I guess I should say.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Besides being blown away by seeing Hamilton finally, I have to say...

Eurovision was the kind of stoopid fun I needed. Dan Stevens fucking stole that movie.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
The House that Jack Built - so yeah, Lars Von Trier, he's not insane or anything. Matt Dillon was pretty amazing in this, movie wouldn't have worked without the commitment that he brought to the lead role. My general opinion, I think, is that it's pretty fucked up and maybe also somewhat brilliant. The epilogue, in particular. Also, I'm surprised the MPAA gave it an R rating instead of NC-17.

Southbound - watched it back when it first came out in 2015 and I remember liking it, and it's held up well. Definitely one of the better horror anthologies.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I am not into Lars von Trier so much anymore but I do think he's an artist. His work is often too sad for me. Dancer in the Dark in particular.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
The Old Guard saw it trending on Netflix and was curious. I liked the whole immortality thing they had going on, but they didn't really do much with it. It turned into a "save our friends because reasons" plot and didn't go into some of the details that made it unique. If there is a part 2,I want them to explore more of the chick who keeps drowning, more back story, and so forth.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I am not into Lars von Trier so much anymore but I do think he's an artist. His work is often too sad for me. Dancer in the Dark in particular.

Yeah, dude does not make feel-good stuff.

I also managed to get through the entirety of THtJB without realizing that it's widely considered to be an allegory for his own career and that each of the "incidents" is likely modeled on a protagonist in one of his other movies. That's hilariously arrogant and also impressive to me in that it's generally a compelling movie when viewed either or both ways.

Think I'm gonna watch Melancholia next, kind of curious to see what LVT does with sci-fi and it seems to be considered one of his better films.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Was it? I could only just barely make it through the trailer. I couldn't imagine sitting through the full movie.

It's really really stoopid but I just had to put it on just to pass the time. The big issue with the film is that because it's a Will Ferrell movie, it has these inane lapses that try to make you think that Will is deeper that he seems, but he's just another loser who steals the spotlight from a more talented person (i.e. Rachael McAdams).

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
The Gentlemen - kind of odd pacing, IMO. Spent the first 45 minutes bored out of my mind other than when Jeremy Strong was doing his gay voice (seriously, WTF), then all of a sudden the plot kicks in and it's a different movie and it's quite fun. Still carries all of Ritchie's usual drawbacks, but also manages to maintain most of what made his first few movies enjoyable, IMO. Crazy-stacked cast, with Hunnam and Grant still managing to stand out and carry the movie. Farrell was also sneaky good. Worth watching if you harbor any affection toward Guy Ritchie, but also not going to change anyone's mind who doesn't.

Last edited:

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Just watched the Karate Kid 2 for the first time - best movie I've I've seen in a long time. But dammit, I hate that Chozen guy so much!!!

Also, Yukie and Kumiko are both wicked hot - an aunt and a niece...hmm, would't mind giving them a moe job.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Inmate No.1....

WELL.. whilst not technically a film... it's a Doc about Danny Trejo's life...

I found it heartwarming and funny... He really doesn't hold anything back...

"Most killed man in Hollywood"!

xROTx

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The King of Staten Island
I guess this was a semi autobiographical roman a clef with Pete Davidson playing the part of Pete, apparently, but not mentioned, if he never did comedy and got on SNL. It's about Pete, who lost his fireman father at age 7. He has lived with his mom and sister, and has separation anxiety, I guess. He's an asshole to his family, asshole to his friends, getting in his own way with work and romance. Anyhow, it's not a bad movie. But not as ribald as I would have liked.

Cool to see Steve Buscemi as a fireman here. Apparently that was his real job when he got casted on Reservoir Dogs. Also, Marisa Tomei still got it.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Just watched the Karate Kid 2 for the first time - best movie I've I've seen in a long time. But dammit, I hate that Chozen guy so much!!!

Also, Yukie and Kumiko are both wicked hot - an aunt and a niece...hmm, would't mind giving them a moe job.

Karate Kid 3 is pretty badgood.

You've seen Cobra Kai, right?

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Karate Kid 3 is pretty badgood.

You've seen Cobra Kai, right?

KK3 is next on the list, maybe later tonight!

I heard of Cobra Kai but never watched it. It’s on YouTube right, I don’t have a premium subscription to YT unfortunately otherwise i’d check it out for sure.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member

I heard of Cobra Kai but never watched it. It’s on YouTube right, I don’t have a premium subscription to YT unfortunately otherwise i’d check it out for sure.

Cobra Kai's first two seasons were on Youtube but Netflix bought the rights to them and an upcoming season 3, so at some point this year they should flip over to Netflix.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member

It's moving to somewhere. Netflix, I think. And they said they're going to bring the old seasons over, too.

Even on youtube, I think they still let you watch the first episode for free. That's how I saw it. It's actually pretty good. It's an interesting concept for a show. I'll definitely watch it when it shows up on netflix (if that is where it's going).

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I ended up watching The Goonies instead - but I found myself muting the tv every time that fat kid Chunk opened his mouth. Every thing bothers me.

So this is what it’s like to get old...

:(

I wish Sloth and Chunk had their own spin-off movie or TV show.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Thanks guys, I just checked and looks like you can tach the first the first episode on YouTube, will check it out after 3. Also looks like it will be coming to Netflix, nice.

M - I hate Chunk. Not even someone with a command over the English language, like Taiso, could effectively capture how much I hate Chunk.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Have you ever done the Truffle Shuffle or had Michael Jackson's sister visit your house? Chunk's had a rough, sugar-intoxicated life.