Reproduction Card reader kits from the guy that makes the led marquee.

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana
I was asked if this was possible and thanks to a friend I was able to get my hands on one and I have a design based on parts I can easily buy. I can also make up leads if needed, but before I go and spend money, is this something people want ?

It would be like my led marquee kits and you could use existing cables if you have them. I have sourced all the parts to make leads up if you want a complete kit, but it's not going to be cheap and I would be happy to pass on part no from digi key so you could make your own.

pcb 1.PNG

So what do you all think ? is it worth me getting the PCB made up (well 5 of !) and buying a set of parts to make the first one and a set of leads ?

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
How much would it cost? I'm not sure if I have the wires, there are a few unused wires in my cab

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana
How much would it cost? I'm not sure if I have the wires, there are a few unused wires in my cab

I am not sure of the costs until I know the parts I chose will work. You will know if you have these wires they are two very thick bundles and connected to the front two ports of the MVS. A complete kit with board and wires could be close to £100 and you could also need a metal bracket to mount it.

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
OK thanks ill have a look and see if I have those wires. Ill be in touch if I am interested. Great project!

*edit* Forgot to mention I have your mini marquees, they are great!!

Last edited:

Pinball

Kula's Candy
Hi Lee,

I have an Electrocoin 6-slot NeoNeo, and the EL (electroluminescent) panels in the marquee died a while back. I've been looking for replacements for literally years, with no luck whatsoever, but you've done it, and apparently in just one year! Thank you so much. I ordered this tonight :-) Very impressed with your skills, dude. The ease of the paypal checkout is much appreciated too.

Thanks,
John.

http://www.neogeoledmarquee.info

You mentioned in your video you wanted other sites to spread the word. Might I suggest pinside.com. A huge pinball forum (the biggest) that I frequent, with a large 'other' section(s).

Last edited:

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana
Hi Lee,

I have an Electrocoin 6-slot NeoNeo, and the EL (electroluminescent) panels in the marquee died a while back. I've been looking for replacements for literally years, with no luck whatsoever, but you've done it, and apparently in just one year! Thank you so much. I ordered this tonight :-) Very impressed with your skills, dude.

Thanks,
John.

http://www.neogeoledmarquee.info

You mentioned in your video you wanted other sites to spread the word. Might I suggest pinside.com. A huge pinball forum (the biggest) that I frequent, with a large 'other' section(s).

I just saw your order , Thanks :) It's been quite a while since I started this, I would say 3 years easy when I had the first idea after making a neo geo themed cab and wanted a working mini marquee. I then spent close to a year refining the panels and trying to find suppliers that would work with me on small qty's. Next was asking for people to help me test the panels in each cabinet style and working out that I needed many different versions, like in your UK 6 slot and how the space is limited because they are stacked top and bottom or the the big red and having to bring them forward otherwise there is a gap. I am still working on tweaking things now, mainly trying to make them easier for me to make as they are very tricky.

Ir0n

n00b
I also just placed an order for new panels yesterday.

Really glad someone is making replacement parts for these cabs..You're a real life saver..

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana
Thanks IrOn, I made a start on three kits today , I had to place 720 smd components by hand for the led PCB and then built the control boards.

Pinball

Kula's Candy
I did find replacement EL panels a couple of years ago (original type not LED), but they were individual panels and couldn't be connected to the SNK 3-panel boards. Also, I couldn't find the SNK boards anywhere. So to my knowledge your solution is the ONLY solution currently available.

Sememmon

Crazed MVS Addict
I actually have no idea if my card reader works or not. I don't have a card to test with. =( Are they difficult to come by?

If my reader ends up being dead, I would definitely be interested .. just from a "gotta have it all working" perspective.

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana
I actually have no idea if my card reader works or not. I don't have a card to test with. =( Are they difficult to come by?

If my reader ends up being dead, I would definitely be interested .. just from a "gotta have it all working" perspective.

I managed to find one in the UK for £35, I looked for alternatives like CASIO sram ect, but the original was just as cheap.

Tested with actual games today and it said they saved ok, Dont have all 4 buttons on my test setup so have not had time to look at the memory manager.

Sememmon

Crazed MVS Addict
I managed to find one in the UK for £35,

Nice! Can you recommend some place online to find them beyond eBay and here? I will have to track one down.

Looking forward to my EL marquee replacement order, btw. =]

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana
Nice! Can you recommend some place online to find them beyond eBay and here? I will have to track one down.

Looking forward to my EL marquee replacement order, btw. =]

sorry I am new to this card reader stuff so not much help.

Thanks for your order, I posted it yesterday and you should have had the tracking no via papal.

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana
Spent some time playing Puzzle Bobble and saving games today, It worked just fine, but my card's battery is totally empty of charge so although it would save and load in the game as soon as I restarted and pressed A,B,C and D to look at the save games it would say not formatted. Took my card apart and the coin cell is showing 0v.

I am also looking at adding a SRAM socket to this so you could save games without the card.

Sememmon

Crazed MVS Addict
sorry I am new to this card reader stuff so not much help.
No problem. While looking around for original memory cards (I guess they're pretty rare these days?), I found this guy's little project. Hopefully the next revision of his NeoSaveMasta will be available soon.
Thanks for your order, I posted it yesterday and you should have had the tracking no via papal.
Thank you for your efforts! I'm looking forward to trying out your product in my cabinet.:multi_co:

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana
No problem. While looking around for original memory cards (I guess they're pretty rare these days?), I found this guy's little project. Hopefully the next revision of his NeoSaveMasta will be available soon.

Thank you for your efforts! I'm looking forward to trying out your product in my cabinet.:multi_co:

I am looking at add save game to my board without a card as well.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior

The originals are hard to come by (especially working) As they have a internal battery that dies and is a bitch to change.
But I use one of these on my 2 slot CMVS.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Es-1-Mem...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana
All current kits are complete and will be sent to the post office tomorrow.

I have just designed a NVRAM based plugin PCB for save games and will be making a very rough prototype soon. The same NVRAM can be added to the card reader via a socket so you have the option to use a card or plug in the NVRAM.