New Metal Slug is being made for consoles, possibly new NeoGeo hardware (?) planned

stormy

B. Jenet's Firstmate
10 Year Member
Probably will be terrible but hoping it won't be.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
New hardware seems a bit ambitious when they can’t even get a “mini” console done right. Not holding my breath on this.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
New hardware seems delusional. They can't be stupid enough to think there's room for them in the console wars. I can't believe anyone is taking this whiff of a rumor seriously.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Just to clarify, these are not rumors. The new Metal Slug and the plans for the 2 new hardware are real.

However, these hardware can't be new consoles / platforms. It will most likely be something akin to the mini or that new capcom home arcade stick.

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
They already stated that the new hardware is completely unrelated with the mini and won't be a new mini console.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Doesn't mean it won't be a similar product. Just like how the ng mini was not related to ngx.

neofonta

Zero's Secretary
I wish it is not going to be a portable console like a NGPocket.

Also I thought SNK isn't any more a hardware publisher after the mini release. Why they would like to try to make new mistakes?

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
So SNK is going to release a new console, 2D only, with 4K hand drawn art for all the games? And they will make Garou 2 and Slug launch titles? And the machine will make me chicken wings?

Sign me up!!!!

Shinchan

n00b
I wish it WAS a NGP, but with a backlight...

I wish it is not going to be a portable console like a NGPocket.

Also I thought SNK isn't any more a hardware publisher after the mini release. Why they would like to try to make new mistakes?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
New hardware seems delusional. They can't be stupid enough to think there's room for them in the console wars. I can't believe anyone is taking this whiff of a rumor seriously.

Not to mention that they can only produce one actual videogame a year or so.

shadowtek

n00b
What I want:
New hardware possibly FPGA with an SSD as well that can play the old cartridges MVS and/or AVS.
New Arcade sticks and pads that are microswitched and awesome.
New Games that can be physical carts or digitally available.

What will probably happen:

AVS Mini/smaller version - that is capable of getting digital content/no cart or cd, etc slot. might have some pre-loaded games too.

TikTekTak

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
Is that really for real? Or just some very "funny" internet trolling?

Whippy

Banned
I am both excited and worried by this....

This is my sentiment exactly. As my favorite Neo Geo "franchise", This could be worse than some of the later editions. I accept that games are not made for people who think like me any more either. They are for a younger and more shallow crowd generally. Very few "contemporary" games even come on my radar, let alone the fact that I buy less and less. In the last 8 years I have averaged 1 new game per year. Its my fault for having standards and holding my wallet close, and I accept that.

If SNK’s wants to get back in the gaming scene they should make games that push their old hardware to the limit(like ng dev). And if they want to make new games that are too powerful for their old hardware they should make them for the systems we already have(PlayStation, Xbox, switch) like Sega does

gameofyou

Mr. Big's Thug
15 Year Member
What I want:
New hardware possibly FPGA with an SSD as well that can play the old cartridges MVS and/or AVS.
New Arcade sticks and pads that are microswitched and awesome.
New Games that can be physical carts or digitally available.

What will probably happen:

AVS Mini/smaller version - that is capable of getting digital content/no cart or cd, etc slot. might have some pre-loaded games too.

A modern version of the AES would be pretty cool. Keep it a 2D machine, but modernize it with hdmi, wifi, ...ect. Make new cartridge games for it, but also have it backwards compatible with the existing AES games. I really think they could make money with a niche device like that.

Almightyburner

Kabuki Klasher
A backlit NGPC that can cast to my TV, a port for an AES stick (or two), and download the entire NG catalogue to play. C'mon. That's simple

Last edited:

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Excited yet skeptical. With PS5, Xbox Scarlet, and Switch Pro/Mini all arriving in the next couple years does SNK really want to give hardware another try? Personally, I think they're doing well enough as a third party developer. I'd hate for them to stumble financially with a botched hardware launch.

Gaoh

New Challenger
Is that really for real? Or just some very "funny" internet trolling?

It’s very real, it was announced at an investors meeting yesterday, they just mentioned v2 and v3 so who knows, but ps5 specs, and possible switch mini and switch pro leaks drowned this out

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
A modern version of the AES would be pretty cool. Keep it a 2D machine, but modernize it with hdmi, wifi, ...ect. Make new cartridge games for it, but also have it backwards compatible with the existing AES games. I really think they could make money with a niche device like that.

I would buy that.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
So the key words in the hardware announcement are V2 and V3.
Why would you already go ahead and announce a V3 when you're V2 isn't even out yet? This implies we're talking about two separate upgrades for existing hardware, one that hasn't had an update yet and another that already had an update for it.
And the statement that no, this has nothing to do with the Mini- is confusing. An upgraded version of the AES or MVS is a commercially bad idea so what could it possibly be? An upgrade to the Neo Geo X (god forbid)? I have no idea and it's messing me up.
I will most likely be extremely disappointed though when it turns out to be an upgraded backlight for the NGPC.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
So the key words in the hardware announcement are V2 and V3.
Why would you already go ahead and announce a V3 when you're V2 isn't even out yet? This implies we're talking about two separate upgrades for existing hardware, one that hasn't had an update yet and another that already had an update for it.
It would be hilarious if they were developing an AES v2... now with poorly constructed stick and buttons.

Or maybe two updates to the Hyper Neo64 board?