Lost Neo Geo Prototype FOUND, REVEALED & RELEASED : "DarkSeed"

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
"...Japanese knowledge will definitely help."
View attachment 34931

This seems to be a ranking screen, as it says "ranking" in katakana. Most of it is numerical kanji 1-10.. so nothing there that's gonna reveal anything. However, there's other kanji I cannot read. One has the radical for ninja/shinobi in it.

Neo Gold

(no need to shout), Because Rot is Watching YOU!
This is great news!!...thanks for sharing your find!!..Awesome:).

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Yeah I went through some articles that basically said they chips would have to be frozen for it to retain a decent amount of residual data. I can see about contacting someone, but I think I know what their answer when I tell them it's been 20 years in unknown temperatures.

And, at best we recover FIX level graphics, which are easy to reproduce... And you have done a good job of that... Who knows what state those were in at this point in development, anyway. Might not have been much different than what we see now.

That, and sound effects and music, if there were any, were probably in a very early state as well and may have just been lifted from Gowcaizer.

So, really, we got lucky that the meat, the actual graphical assets, were on non-volatile memory, so you could see we had something other than a Gowcaizer proto here.

I'd say, if we were going to lose something, we lost the best thing we could lose ;)

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
This is an amazing effort NTM! Well played!:buttrock:

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
This is amazing man!!!! Congrats and great job!!!!!

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
If a team managed to complete the sprites that are at least half complete, make sound effects and music, and release this as functional VS fighter, I wouldn't even be able to handle it.

Amazing.

Edit: freely of course, if someone turned this into a cash grab it would be hanus

Last edited:

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza
Just wanted to thank NeoTurfMasta and the others that helped make this happen. It was great to experience the reveal in person and to play the game. Very very awesome. Here is the video I promised earlier that is a little over 16 mins with NeoTurfMasta commentating/ explaining the game while showing it off.

P.S.: The video also delivers with a quick pic of his taco shirt :)

Last edited:

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Just been taking this in...this was pretty awesome news to wake to this morning.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Just wanted to thank NeoTurfMasta and the others that helped make this happen. It was great to experience the reveal in person and to play the game. Very very awesome. Here is the video I promised earlier that is a little over 16 mins with NeoTurfMasta commentating/ explaining the game while showing it off.

P.S.: The video also delivers with a quick pic of his taco shirt :)

First time to hear NTM's sexy voice :)

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
this is friggin amazing. im gonna watch the full play vid tomorrow at work when i have time.
NTM you da man!
neo geo's not dead!... just a bit forgetful of music and the names of some of its children :scratch:

mastamuzz

Eager Beaver
Wow those back grounds if this is 1996 is way ahead of its time, I don't think this was canned for being a bad game there must be a good story behind the development of this game and why got cancelled.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Wow those back grounds if this is 1996 is way ahead of its time, I don't think this was canned for being a bad game there must be a good story behind the development of this game and why got cancelled.

The backgrounds in the video look awesome even only in the development stage........
If NTM and his team can finish the rest of it..........

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
Great find Brian... and a great write up.

I cant wait to be able to play this in Mame and see it for myself...

neoman

Fio's Quartermaster
You can alway pass it over to NG dev team ,that could be they next game.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
I thought this to be an April fool's prank, until I clicked and saw the initial post date. Very nice find.

Geddon_jt

Creator of the Master List,
20 Year Member
Great video. There is probably enough data and art there for a few talented motivated people to polish it up into something really nice.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
I hope things like this will encourage others to release what they have.

This isn't the first time this has happened in our community. As a reminder for everyone, Tonk was kind enough to have Ghostlop dumped and released for everyone to enjoy. Had he not, that proto would have been held over our heads by hoarders. Same thing with some of our other members who released early protos of games like the recent Last Resort beta.

We really have a great community here.

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza

This isn't the first time this has happened in our community. As a reminder for everyone, Tonk was kind enough to have Ghostlop dumped and released for everyone to enjoy. Had he not, that proto would have been held over our heads by hoarders. Same thing with some of our other members who released early protos of games like the recent Last Resort beta.

It's for real now, some dude took everything you wrote and just copy pasta'd it on Atariage

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/223548-the-official-neo-geo-thread/page-117#entry3488721

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
Nice work ntm!
I think it's hard to believe that it was
at the state of completeness and was never finished
or salvaged and recycled into another game.
Awesome find.
Also, if you're interested,
we can work out trade for my pippin.
lmk.

TonK

Least Valuable Player

Thanks for the kind words Brian. Ironically, the 4th of this month was the 12 year anniversary of me releasing Ghostlop.

Caught a LOT of shit for that, but it was well worth it.

One person was instrumental in helping me with that - he knows who he is.

You did it the right way - thank you.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Thanks for the kind words Brian. Ironically, the 4th of this month was the 12 year anniversary of me releasing Ghostlop.

Caught a LOT of shit for that, but it was well worth it.

One person was instrumental in helping me with that - he knows who he is.

You did it the right way - thank you.

I guarantee the shit you caught was not from the majority of the people here. It was from the very people trying to hold it over our heads. It's always good to remind people that they wouldn't have Ghostlop if you hadn't stepped in. These details get lost over the years, and if you weren't around during that time you probably don't know the details. You will always have my respect for doing that for everyone. Srsly

jbeedham

yeah he did that, ,
Wow!!! NTM this so awesome. Thanks for your hard work and also to Razoola for looking through the code. Bonus kudos to anyone else who has helped.

Makes me wonder if the Japanese seller has any more protos.

P. S. To the 62 guests currently reading this thread. Sign up or login and stop lurking!!!

Shou-sama

Armored Scrum,
I am in contact with former Technos staff to acquire whatever the final code base of this game is.