SNK Playmore Terminates Licence Agreement with Tommo.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
You know, I never understood who this thing was marketed to. Hardcore neo fans are very precious about the details, and there were so many things done wrong with this thing there was just no way the core audience was gonna go for this. On the other hand, the price on it was way too high to attract casual/tentative fans or curious onlookers. This thing had no discernible target audience, IMO, and it was doomed to fail.

Oh, and to anyone who thinks that arcade stick is good: it's not. The build quality is terrible (it's cheaper and lighter than an actual aes stick) and it only has 4 buttons, severely limiting the number of pc games you can actually play with it . Curious parties would be better served by saving and investing in a quanba or ps3 hori stick. These phony aes sticks are crap.

So much truth ^. I honestly believe SNK wanted to thank their fans and followers for all the years of dedication that has occurred. That's why the packaging, aesthetics, and box for the Mega Pack paid so many tributes to the original. The actions speak as love letters to the fans.

Unfortunately, Tommo fucked it up with the hardware, game emulation, and horrendous customer service to boot. I returned my NGX after the rocket cable blessedly bricked it, after multiple emails and phone calls asking them to accept it back for repair. I got a generic answer three weeks after the last email, in reply to the FIRST email. fuckers.

The intent from SNK was honorable, and admirable. The execution from Tommo was pathetic at best, and karma decided now was the time to rear her head to shoddy business.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
So much truth ^. I honestly believe SNK wanted to thank their fans and followers for all the years of dedication that has occurred. That's why the packaging, aesthetics, and box for the Mega Pack paid so many tributes to the original. The actions speak as love letters to the fans.

Unfortunately, Tommo fucked it up with the hardware, game emulation, and horrendous customer service to boot. I returned my NGX after the rocket cable blessedly bricked it, after multiple emails and phone calls asking them to accept it back for repair. I got a generic answer three weeks after the last email, in reply to the FIRST email. fuckers.

The intent from SNK was honorable, and admirable. The execution from Tommo was pathetic at best, and karma decided now was the time to rear her head to shoddy business.

SNK had nothing to do with the NGX other than licensing. Everything that happened was from Tommo themselves.

nerdstick

Crossed Swords Squire
Sad that this kills any chance for a future homebrew community, happy the "limited edition" will finally be off the shelves. If they can even sell the remaining stock.

I hope SNK can release a proper handheld in the future, but the 'X' might have killed that chance off as well..

CaseyTappy

Tung's Hair Stylist
Never cared for the turd so don't read here much but :

27477-Al-Bundy-laughing-gif-YU6F.gif

SNK had nothing to do with the NGX other than licensing. Everything that happened was from Tommo themselves.

Still, I have to look at SNK for not enforcing their own standards of quality. Licensing your loved name out to a company who pushes out an incomplete product reflects back on SNK for poor planning.

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,

HAHAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Sad that this kills any chance for a future homebrew community, happy the "limited edition" will finally be off the shelves. If they can even sell the remaining stock.

I hope SNK can release a proper handheld in the future, but the 'X' might have killed that chance off as well..

I don't think the current SNK-P, which as I understand it is a shell of the old SNK-P, which was a shell of what SNK was at it's height, has it in them to release anything competitive anymore - it would be another 3rd rate piece of licensed shit like this. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about SNK-Poop's status. ~

Last edited:

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Still, I have to look at SNK for not enforcing their own standards of quality. Licensing your loved name out to a company who pushes out an incomplete product reflects back on SNK for poor planning.

Even the current gen consoles get RROD and YLOD all the time. There is no such thing as quality anymore.

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
Somebody check the obituaries for suicides in what ever area Cruejones4life lives.

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
lol another "favorite" is supporting the NGX on that NGF post, see if you can guess who it is!

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
Lollerz at trollerz!!! And its crujones4life...MOTHAFUCKA!!!

Ahh good, you're still alive. My deepest condolences for your loss, who could have ever expected the NGX to be cut down in its prime, before it even had a chance to grow up. OH LOORD MY BABY, OH PLEASE LORD DON'T LET 'EM TAKE MA BABY!!

chimera

New Challenger
I dont understand what people expected the NGX was going to be?? Was it suppose to be an exact replica of the neo geo mvs/aes? No. Go buy an old expensive mvs/aes if so. I mean to begin with Tommo's dumb ass was imitating a previous product released by SNK on a handheld that was "cheap". LITERALLY. I bought the NGX but mainly to support SNKP in hopes they would release more stuff in the future. To me SNK gave permission to another company to release a new console. I felt like Sega was releasing the second Dreamcast when the news came about... Like someone else mentioned i guess this eliminates our chances of getting a quality Neo Geo system soon.... Hopefully SNKP redeems themselves. My 2 cents on this topic LOL!

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
I dont understand what people expected the NGX was going to be?? Was it suppose to be an exact replica of the neo geo mvs/aes? No. Go buy an old expensive mvs/aes if so. I mean to begin with Tommo's dumb ass was imitating a previous product released by SNK on a handheld that was "cheap". LITERALLY. I bought the NGX but mainly to support SNKP in hopes they would release more stuff in the future. To me SNK gave permission to another company to release a new console. I felt like Sega was releasing the second Dreamcast when the news came about... Like someone else mentioned i guess this eliminates our chances of getting a quality Neo Geo system soon.... Hopefully SNKP redeems themselves. My 2 cents on this topic LOL!

It could have been great. Instead they basically stole code and used it in a chinese ripoff. Yes using a 4x3 screen would have made it more expensive, but at least it would make more sense than a 16x9 screen.

K-9999

n00b
Finally, the end to the Neo-Geo handheld that never was or ever will be.

True. Still a missed opportunity though. I guess SNKP will continue to develop for Tablets and smart phones until it dies. Again...let's be fair. It isn't even the shadow of its older self (SNK) and glory.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
I dont understand what people expected the NGX was going to be??
A handheld licensed by SNKP, emblazoned with the NeoGeo logo, to accurately, faithfully and, tbh, PERFECTLY emulate NeoGeo games - on the small screen AND on the big screen via the dock. I mean, considering all other manner of machines (inc the Xbox from 2002) have managed this a decade earlier without so much as breaking a sweat, not to mention SNKP's more than decent releases for the Wii VC and NGStation complete with scanline and interlace generation, this wasn't too much to ask... especially in consideration of the monstrous price point.

Again, thanks to all those who splashed the cash and were honest enough to come clean about the shoddy quality > NeoGeo bias. You saved me, and no doubt others, the best part of £200. If you bought it after the alarm bells were sounded here, then you got what was coming to you...

goldenegg

Kuroko's Training Dummy
For the price, I expected it to be of higher quality!

But with Tommo's reputation, why would you have expected that? It's not that Tommo previously had a bunch of great products in their portfolio. Everything they've released has been extremely poor quality, but at least priced at a point where people wouldn't be too pissed off for spending the money. There was no reason to expect the Neo Geo X to be of higher quality. They've always cut corners and don't expect that to ever change.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
But with Tommo's reputation, why would you have expected that? It's not that Tommo previously had a bunch of great products in their portfolio. Everything they've released has been extremely poor quality, but at least priced at a point where people wouldn't be too pissed off for spending the money. There was no reason to expect the Neo Geo X to be of higher quality. They've always cut corners and don't expect that to ever change.

I guess I wasn't really thinking it through. I had some sort of hope that they would do better with a Neo Geo branded product

Diggerman

Zero's Tailor
Just stopping by to gloat and laugh at Tommo and any fool that knowingly supported this hunk of junk.

Good riddance.

Just stopping by to gloat and laugh at Tommo and any fool that knowingly supported this hunk of junk.

Good riddance.

Lol, so much vitriol. I bought it, enjoy it, and use it to have fun. It could have been better, it was not. So I made it better myself.