Nightmare in the Dark SP?

Rick Dangerous

Quiz Detective
Hey ya'll

Doing some Halloween gaming on my MVS, and noticed on my 161-1 banana cart there is a "Nightmare in the Dark SP" version of the game.

Anyone know what this adds to the game?

Thanks!

Rick Dangerous

Quiz Detective
Also playing Magician Lord and Ghost Pilots, anything else you guys can think of that would qualify as "Halloween" for MVS/AES? Thanks!

Or even a Halloween themes level/track in a game?

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
You can nix Ghost Pilots from that list. There's nothing Halloween about that.

How about...
Ghostlop
Metal Slug 3 (3rd stage zombie level)
Art of Fighting 2 (King's stage)
Baseball Stars has the Ghastly Monsters team

Last edited:

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member

How about...
Ghostlop

If you are going by select stages and not games as a whole... Zupapa! Has a very Halloween-y stage.

Metal Slug 4 four has the zombie house and giant Frankenstein monster.

Metal Slug 5 final boss is a giant Lovecraftian daemon.

Also Magician Lord has demons,warlocks and monsters ... even Satanic looking symbols. I would call it dark fantasy.

Crossed swords can also qualify with all the skeletons, winged demon-knights, juggalo-warlock and Satan Goats.

Last edited:

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
Metal Slug 3 is a great choice. Island of Doctor Moreau, Zombie outbreak, ancient gods, mummies, alien mothership. It totally counts as a Halloween type game.

Magician Lord and maybe... Prehistoric Isle 2? Like 2d Master said above, Magician Lord is fantasy and Prehistoric isle is sci-fi.

2D_mastur

10 Year Member
Metal Slug 3 is a great choice. Island of Doctor Moreau, Zombie outbreak, ancient gods, mummies, alien mothership. It totally counts as a Halloween type game.

Magician Lord and maybe... Prehistoric Isle 2? Like 2d Master said above, Magician Lord is fantasy and Prehistoric isle is sci-fi.

PI2 final boss does remind me of Cthulhu...

For Japanese culture horror games... Sengoku, Sengoku 2 and Ganryu have some folk monsters, demons, necromancy, skeletons, zombies and spirits.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Not Neo Geo, but the Mexico stage in KOF XIV has a Day of the Dead theme.

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
Second level in Metal Slug 2/X - Egypt with Mummies and Mummy dogs. The Sengoku games - you're basically killing undead stuff the whole way through and there are lots of skulls. Is that the mid boss in Sengoku 2 stage 2 or 3 where it's the huge skeleton on the side of the ship? Spooky times...

Rick Dangerous

Quiz Detective
Great tips all around guys; thanks!

No info on the SP version of that game? Guess I'll just have to play it and find out.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
SamSho V has that big monster thing—Kusaregedo—with the pile of bodies on his stage. Always thought that was a bit spooky.

Darkstalkers if we want to branch outside Neo Geo

Last edited:

2D_mastur

10 Year Member
SamSho V has that big monster thing—Kusaregedo—with the pile of bodies on his stage. Always thought that was a bit spooky.

Darkstalkers if we want to branch outside Neo Geo
That stage is fucking bad-ass.

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Mutation Nation is the 2nd best Neo Halloween game. I would've been looking for a cart if I could've done a Halloween party this year....

Not sure what the deal is with NitD SP - probably some lame hack-y stuff. The original NitD is perfect, honestly my favorite Bubble Bobble type game. Soundtrack is BANGIN

Shmuppy

Banned

How about...
Ghostlop
Baseball Stars has the Ghastly Monsters team

You forgot the homing missiles in Ghost Pilots. They scare me to this day. So it qualifies for Halloween, for me;-) And you are a Ghost Pilot.

Last edited:

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
Nothing on the Neo is more horrific than Gururin. Crouching naked men painfully morphing into big humanoid cats, lips fusing together, a beautiful naked woman turning into a monstrous old man's face... David Cronenberg would be proud. And that childish, disturbing laugh, my God! :( The only Neo game that really scares me.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Gururin belongs in all the worst game threads.

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster
I quit Gururin after a minute because I didn’t understand it and thought it was bad.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
I had high hopes for Gururin because of the other Face entries on the Neo, (Money Idol, Zupapa) but man, Gururin is a stinker.

Shmuppy

Banned
I quit Gururin after a minute because I didn’t understand it and thought it was bad.

Yeah man. Same here. Some rotation, my brain... Fuck this game. It makes no sense.

Last edited: